Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > River Cruising

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

River Cruising Find Others on Your River Cruise! River Cruising Roll Calls

Old August 17th, 2014, 07:20 PM
Cool Cruiser

Good to hear some positive comments about this company. We're considering doing their Machu Picchu tour. I'd really prefer a tour that did both Machu Picchu and Iguazu falls. If anyone has any recommendations let us know.
Irene

Old August 17th, 2014, 11:04 PM
Cruise Critic Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by psych65 View Post
Good to hear some positive comments about this company. We're considering doing their Machu Picchu tour. I'd really prefer a tour that did both Machu Picchu and Iguazu falls. If anyone has any recommendations let us know.
Irene
Machu Picchu is on the Pacific side of South America and Iguazu Falls is on the Atlantic side. For both geographic and political reasons, "never the twain shall meet."

I am not an employee of Cruise Critic and I don't speak for Cruise Critic. All opinions are mine alone. Also, I'm only a Host on the various River forums -- everywhere else I'm "just plain Jazz."

Just completed:
Walking the Camino de Santiago (4 Star Guided Tour) --
https://jazzbeauxcamino2014.shutterfly.com/pictures/5

Booked:
Celebrity Eclipse Southern Carib 3-1-2015
Celebrity Xpedition Galapagos 5-10-2015
AMA Provence 9-3-2015
Celebrity Constellation Greek Isles 5-31-2016
Azamara Quest Norwegian Fjords 8-11-2016
Norwegian Pride of America Hawaii 10-8-2016

Sailed:
Crystal Serenity Mediterranean 5-7-2014 / Coral Princess Panama Canal 1-19-2014 / AmaCello Rhine 8-30-2013 / Coral Princess Alaska 6-26-2013 / Norwegian Dawn Caribbean 3-3-2013 / Celebrity Summit Caribbean 1-28-2012 / Oceania Insignia Mediterranean 5-17-2011 / Fair Dinkum (Erie Canal bareboat) 7-18-2003 / Costa Italia Caribbean 5-18-1974

Last edited by Host Jazzbeau; August 17th, 2014 at 11:35 PM.

Old October 1st, 2014, 03:03 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by flgal2011 View Post
Glad to read your comments, as a friend & I are doing the Tom Harper river cruise to Scotland in May. Their itineraries do sound intriquing. Hopefully, this cruise will be as good as the one you took to Russia, as I could do a few more from their brochure!
We are on this cruise as well. Have you started a Roll Call for the cruise?

Old November 7th, 2014, 08:38 PM
Cool Cruiser

River cruise in Myanmar, September 19, 2014

Tom Harper’s river cruise in Myanmar attracted me because the website promised the type of luxurious accommodations I was looking for.

Unfortunately, after arriving in Yangon, my travel companion and I were advised that the advertised RV Irrawaddy Explorer had not received its certification papers and was not allowed to sail. Instead of a Maugham Suite with French Balcony, our cabin on the replacement ship was a very small room with dark panelling, a small window and a solid door to the deck which is used for dis/embarkation. The storage space was almost non-existent, the bedding worn. The bathroom was tiny and the shower drain clogged four days into the voyage, flooding our bedroom. What I had bought, and expected, was a five star stateroom. What I received was a one star cabin (pictures available).

The compensation offer from Tom Harper consisted of $500 cash. Haimark Ltd – owner of the RV Irrawaddy Explorer – offered a travel credit of $1000 to expire at the end of 2016 on any of their cruises or those of Tom Harper. I told our destination ambassador that neither company offers a cruise that I either haven’t already taken or am interested in. She contacted her office and was told to have me call Tom Harper after my return and talk to a representative about converting the travel credit to cash. While still in negotiation with my travel agent, $500 was refunded on my credit card. About a week later, a letter advised that no compromise was possible and the company would keep my travel credit on file for future bookings.

Will I travel with Tom Harper again? NO. I bought a product in good faith trusting in their integrity and accuracy of representation. Selling a cruise on a new ship that had not received certification was a risk that Tom Harper undertook, and I assume they were smart enough to have some kind of insurance in place for non-delivery of products from Haimark Ltd.
Making two-thirds of my refund a travel credit whose redemption would mean spending a lot more money on a cruise I never intended to take, is aggravating. Even turning the travel credit into a $500 cash credit would have shown that Tom Harper cares enough about a customer to meet her halfway.

Old November 8th, 2014, 08:45 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Wow, just wow!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Old November 11th, 2014, 12:54 PM
Cool Cruiser

I won't fully defend Tom Harper since we don't sail with them until next year (in Scotland) but I am not sure what compensation you expected. You did sail with them, presumably on the same itinerary, so you did get substantial value. I agree you should get something reflecting the difference in value between what you paid for a premium cabin and the cost of a lesser quality cabin, but obviously not a full refund. Most importantly, it again shows why getting travel insurance is so important to cover for services not delivered. In Scotland I know Tom Harper uses a cruise line that sails every week and has for some time, and they have just reserved for a few specific weeks to market in combination with a land portion. I am sorry that you did not get what you paid for and perhaps they will eventually arrive at a more satisfactory resolution. For the future, happy travels.

Old November 11th, 2014, 01:28 PM
10,000+ Club

Bummer about the substitution, must have been very disappointing. But this company looks very interesting to me.
Radisson Diamond June, 2004
Regent Voyager, June '06, Dec. '07, Dec. '09, Dec. 2010

Old November 14th, 2014, 01:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Follow-up on post of November 7th

After sending the same review to the BBB that Tom Harper is registered with, the matter was settled to my satisfaction.

Old November 14th, 2014, 02:43 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums