Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Celebrity Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Celebrity Cruises
- Read thousands of Celebrity Cruise Reviews
- Compare the best Celebrity Cruise Deals
- Write a Celebrity Cruise Review
- Find Your Celebrity Roll Call
See posts about:
Celebrity Constellation
Celebrity Millennium
Celebrity Summit

Celebrity Eclipse
Celebrity Reflection
Celebrity Xpedition

Celebrity Equinox
Celebrity Silhouette

Celebrity Infinity
Celebrity Solstice

Old October 30th, 2010, 03:02 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Default Passport 6 Month Rule

There are a handful of countries in the world that require passports to be valid for at least 6 months from your arrival date into the country. None of them are in the Caribbean and the U.S. is not one of them. Celebrity RECOMMENDS that passports be valid for 6 months after the cruise RETURN date. I have a friend whose passport will only be valid for 5 months after his Caribbean cruise return date. He asked me for advice and I told him I would renew the passport. I would not want to risk my vacation on an interpretation of the Celebrity policy by someone on embarkation day. Does anyone know of a situation where someone was refused boarding because their passport was not valid for 6 months after the cruise return date?

Old October 30th, 2010, 03:17 PM
Cool Cruiser

Hi
I have a similar problem, and having done some research it seems
(in the UK anyway) that say my passport expires in June 2011 if I renew
any time up to 9 months prior I will not lose out.
So Passport expires in June 2011 if I renew in December 2010 my
new passport will not expire until June 2021.

Old October 30th, 2010, 03:17 PM
Cool Cruiser

I would not risk it. We had friends denied boarding by Delta/KLM (granted it was a flight to Amsterdam) on their way to a Baltic Cruise because they had less than six months expiration on their US Passports. Not worth the risk.

Old October 30th, 2010, 04:10 PM
10,000+ Club

For a Caribbean cruise it's not necessary. We sailed on the Century last April with a passport that expired it June.

Legend of the Seas 3/15

Regal Princess 10/15
NY to FL Tommy's birthday cruise!
Celebrity Eclipse 1/16
CC angle balcony next to the pool!
Celebrity Constellation 3/16
Only if we can't make it to Hawaii
Celebrity Solstice 4/16
Maui for a few days, then Honolulu to Vancouver!

Ruby Princess 5/16

Past Adventures...
Legend of the Seas 7/98, Sea Princess 10/99, S/S Norway 2/00, Norwegian Majesty 10/00, Norwegian Wind 3/01, Carnival Triumph 11/01, S/S Norway 3/02, Carnival Spirit 1/03, Brilliance of the Seas 3/03, Brilliance of the Seas 1/04, Celebrity Summit 3/04, Caribbean Princess 3/05, Explorer of the Seas 10/05, Carnival Liberty 2/06, Majesty of the Seas 10/06, Freedom of the Seas 11/06, Carnival Miracle 2/07, Voyager of the Seas 11/07, Carnival Miracle 1/08, Emerald Princess 4/08, Carnival Pride 11/08, Carnival Liberty 1/09, Diamond Princess 8/09, Carnival Dream 2/10 B2B, Celebrity Century 4/10, Celebrity Century 12/10, Radiance of the Seas 1/11, Disney Dream 10/11, Ruby Princess 1/12, Celebrity Century 5/12, Celebrity Reflection 12/12, Caribbean Princess 12/12, Golden Princess 9/13, Island Princess 9/13, Carnival Breeze 11/13, Royal Princess 11/13, Celebrity Constellation 2/14, Celebrity Century 2/14, Celebrity Century 4/14, Carnival Splendor 11/14

281 days at sea; 36 more days booked!

Old October 30th, 2010, 04:25 PM
Cool Cruiser

I would say it is more of an airline policy then a ships. My name has got to be exactly the same on my airline ticket and my passport not true for ships.

Ad Sponsored By
Old October 30th, 2010, 04:57 PM
5,000+ Club

We went in to renew our Cdn passports because ours were expiring two months after our cruise next month. The agent at the passport office asked why we were renewing so early and indicated to us that as long as the passport was still valid it was OK to enter the US and to go to the Caribbean. We renewed them any way since we will be traveling again early next year so would have had to do so in a few months any way.
As a side note it was regular or standard service and it took two days for the passport to be issued and they were delivered to our home exactly one week after we went in to apply for them.

Pass Cruises
Festival's Bolero Dec98 E Car*Blackbeard's Pirate Lady Jan99 Bahamas*Sun's Carousel (Nordic Prince)Feb99 S.Car*Sun's Sunbird (Song of America)Sept99-W Med*Sun's Sundream (Song of Norway)Jan00 PC* Sea Pr June00-Alaska* Sun's Sundream (Song of Norway)Feb01 W Car* Grand PrFeb02 W.Car* Empress of the Seas July 02 Bermuda*Star Pr Feb03 Mex Riv* Enchantment of the Seas Mar03 E.Carib*Sun's Sunbird (Song of America)June03 W Med*Sun's Sunbird (Song of America)Jan04-S Car* Voyager of the Seas June 04 Canada* Sun's Sunbird (Song of America) Aug 04 W Med*Maasdam Mar05 S.Car* Costa's Mediterranea Apr06 E Car* Regal Princess Nov 06 PC* Serenade of the Seas Feb.07-S Car*Adventure of the Seas Mar07 S Car*Radiance of the Seas Sept07 Alaska &West Coast* Legend of the Seas Nov07- E Med*Radiance of the Seas May08Hawaii* X Century Dec08 West TA*Radiance of the Seas Apr-May09 Chile to San Diego*X Mercury Nov09 E.Caribbean*Radiance of the Seas Feb10 Mex. Riv*Grand Princess Apr10 East TA*X Summit Nov10 S. Car*X Summit Dec10 S Car*Golden Pr Feb11 Hawaii*X Constellation S. Car Mar11 Car*Emerald Pr Nov-Dec11 S Car*X Silhouette Jan12 E Car*X Century Mar/Apr 12Hawaii*Caribbean Pr Apr12 East TA*Caribbean Pr May12 British Isles*X Eclipse Dec12 S Car*Voyager of the Seas Feb/Mar13 Oz/NZ*X Century Nov/Dec13 Hawaii*Ruby Pr Feb14 W Car*X Century Feb14 E Car*Serenade of the Seas Apr/May14 East TA*

Last edited by robtulipe; October 30th, 2010 at 05:00 PM.

Old October 30th, 2010, 06:28 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Default For UK passport holders:

This is from the FCO website:
Does my British passport have to be valid for six months beyond my date of departure from the United States?

No, if your passport is not valid for at least six months beyond your date of departure from the United States, it will not affect your eligibility to travel. The United States has an agreement with the United Kingdom automatically extending the validity of a passport for six months past the passport's expiration date. Therefore, your passport need remain valid only for the duration of your stay in the United States.

And this is from the USA Govt site that clearly shows the countries who DO NOT have to have 6 months left on their passport when entering the USA.
http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/...n_04162008.pdf

It seems pretty clear.

Last edited by Albert Ross; October 30th, 2010 at 06:28 PM.

Old October 30th, 2010, 11:09 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giorgi-one View Post
There are a handful of countries in the world that require passports to be valid for at least 6 months from your arrival date into the country. None of them are in the Caribbean and the U.S. is not one of them. Celebrity RECOMMENDS that passports be valid for 6 months after the cruise RETURN date. I have a friend whose passport will only be valid for 5 months after his Caribbean cruise return date. He asked me for advice and I told him I would renew the passport. I would not want to risk my vacation on an interpretation of the Celebrity policy by someone on embarkation day. Does anyone know of a situation where someone was refused boarding because their passport was not valid for 6 months after the cruise return date?
I went through this with Celebrity before my Panama Canal cruise in January. My passport was scheduled to expire in five months. None of the countries we were going to had a six-month requirement. Costa Rica had a one-month requirement. I have it from Celebrity in writing that their only requirement is that the passport still be valid the day you return from your cruise.

Click here to e-mail me.

Celebrity Century Eastern Caribbean February 2014
Celebrity Century Bahamas February 2014
Celebrity Reflection Eastern Caribbean January 2014
Celebrity Infinity Norway Fjords May-June 2013
Celebrity Infinity British Isles May 2013
Celebrity Infinity Trans-Atlantic May 2013
Celebrity Eclipse Exotic Southern Caribbean Nov/Dec 2012 (Woo Hoo III)
Celebrity Constellation Exotic Southern Caribbean Dec 2011 (Woo Hoo II)
Celebrity Eclipse Baltic May/June 2011
Celebrity Constellation Exotic Southern Caribbean Nov/Dec 2010 (Connie Sparklers, Woo Hoo I)
HAL Rotterdam West Coast Repo May 2010
Celebrity Millennium Ultimate Alaska April/May 2010 (MillieMeeters)
Celebrity Constellation Panama Canal January 2010
Celebrity Millennium Eastern Caribbean February 2008
Celebrity Mercury Alaska September 2006

Old October 31st, 2010, 03:22 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thamsey View Post
I would say it is more of an airline policy then a ships. My name has got to be exactly the same on my airline ticket and my passport not true for ships.
I not sure that is 100% accurate. Names need to match on all legal docs with your cruise tix.

I watched a woman denied boarding because she got divorced, and reverted to her maiden name, but her passport still said her married name. I spotted her on the ship, and I asked her how that was straightened out. Her ex-husband had to fax a copy of the divorce decree to the terminal, and she was all but last to board.

That was mighty nice of him, since she was traveling with her new boyfriend....
Carribean Princess...October, 2005
Carnival Glory...Sept 2008
Carnival Valor...June 2009
Carnival Fantasy....October 2009
Oasis of the Seas (Inuagural) December, 2009
Majesty of the Seas...June 2010
Celebrity Solstice...November 2010

Old October 31st, 2010, 04:10 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Don't take any chances

I am travelling in Jan and my UK passport expires start of June . I hve just sent off for my renewal passport as I would be uncomfortble leaving with my soon to be expired passport. It is not a big priblem as in the UK you do not lose any portion of the time remaining on you old passport.
It is added onto the new one.

Cheers

Scotslizzy

Old October 31st, 2010, 09:35 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thamsey View Post
Actually its not the airline policy but the policy of the country you are going to visit and the airlines follow their rules...There is a web site somewhere I believe within the State Dept site which lists the countries that have the 6 month rule. Theory behind this in those countries is most have policies which allow visitors to stay 6 months and they don't want people overstaying their passports..

Old October 31st, 2010, 01:15 PM
5,000+ Club

Here's the deal. You are going to have to renew your passport anyway--why not do it before the trip and erase all doubt? The only reason I can think of for not doing so would be to save the $$$ for six months--worthless if you are denied boarding or embarking. Just think of it this way--US Passports are now valid for 9.5 years.

I had an absolute NIGHTMARE with a passport that expired in July for a cruise I was taking in February--had to fly in to LA two days early, go to two separate counties to get a copy of my marriage license from a man I have been divorced from for 10 years, stand in line at the passport office for 4 hours (with an appointment) and ended up getting the renewed passport at 3:30 PM the day before our flight to Tahiti left. It would be lovely if someone benefitted from my experience. . .

Old October 31st, 2010, 02:03 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotslizzy View Post
I am travelling in Jan and my UK passport expires start of June . I hve just sent off for my renewal passport as I would be uncomfortble leaving with my soon to be expired passport. It is not a big priblem as in the UK you do not lose any portion of the time remaining on you old passport.
It is added onto the new one.

Cheers

Scotslizzy
It would be nice if that were the policy in the US, but it's not. You get ten years from the date of issue. So if you renew five months early, you essentially lose five months.

Click here to e-mail me.

Celebrity Century Eastern Caribbean February 2014
Celebrity Century Bahamas February 2014
Celebrity Reflection Eastern Caribbean January 2014
Celebrity Infinity Norway Fjords May-June 2013
Celebrity Infinity British Isles May 2013
Celebrity Infinity Trans-Atlantic May 2013
Celebrity Eclipse Exotic Southern Caribbean Nov/Dec 2012 (Woo Hoo III)
Celebrity Constellation Exotic Southern Caribbean Dec 2011 (Woo Hoo II)
Celebrity Eclipse Baltic May/June 2011
Celebrity Constellation Exotic Southern Caribbean Nov/Dec 2010 (Connie Sparklers, Woo Hoo I)
HAL Rotterdam West Coast Repo May 2010
Celebrity Millennium Ultimate Alaska April/May 2010 (MillieMeeters)
Celebrity Constellation Panama Canal January 2010
Celebrity Millennium Eastern Caribbean February 2008
Celebrity Mercury Alaska September 2006

Old October 31st, 2010, 06:51 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathyCruises View Post
Here's the deal. You are going to have to renew your passport anyway--why not do it before the trip and erase all doubt? The only reason I can think of for not doing so would be to save the $$$ for six months--worthless if you are denied boarding or embarking. Just think of it this way--US Passports are now valid for 9.5 years.

I had an absolute NIGHTMARE with a passport that expired in July for a cruise I was taking in February--had to fly in to LA two days early, go to two separate counties to get a copy of my marriage license from a man I have been divorced from for 10 years, stand in line at the passport office for 4 hours (with an appointment) and ended up getting the renewed passport at 3:30 PM the day before our flight to Tahiti left. It would be lovely if someone benefitted from my experience. . .
was there a name change on this new passport vs. the old one?

Been There Done That: Crown Princess April 2013, Crown Princess Oct/Nov 2012, Grand Princess Dec 2011, Sapphire Princess March 2011, Emerald Princess July 2010, Maui by Kayak March 2008, Grand Princess March 2007 (Man Overboard Cruise) Carnival Spirit March 2006, Golden Princess June 2004, Star Princess July 2002, Ryndam June 1998, Nordic Prince 1986, Norway 1984