All Things HMC after 6/20/14 (part 2)

marshhawk

There are 84 or some pages on HMC-thought I would create a new page, so that questions and answers might be more current.

Which brings to mind the following-

Does anyone have a current HMC map?

GREAT idea!!

Here is an updated map of HMC...

cabanas3_1_.jpg

Does anyone know if there is jet skiing available on HMC?

thanks

No. Not for individual use. They used to offer an excursion called the Aquatrax Adventure where you rode together as a group in follow the leader style, but I don't see it being offered on my upcoming Fascination cruise.

We will be going on our first cruise in September! We have a cabana booked at HMC and I am so excited! Will beach towels be included in the cabana or do we bring them ashore from our cabin? The excursion page didn't say anything about towels, so I'm assuming they won't be provided?

Is it worth a rental for just two people? We have no excursions planned for the other ports so thought I might splurge for HMC. I rented one but not sure if I want to cancel. We were there in January and it was COLD. So booked another trip for April! :D

What are the amenities for the cabanas with Holland America? On Carnival it is basically soda and fruit. I thought, that at one time, Holland America included bottles of alcohol with the cabanas.

Take care,

Mike

What are the amenities for the cabanas with Holland America? On Carnival it is basically soda and fruit. I thought, that at one time, Holland America included bottles of alcohol with the cabanas.

Take care,

Mike

Holland America has not put alcohol in the cabanas in at least 10 years. BUT, if you get the Butler upgrade, unlimited alcohol is included.

With spending the money for an excursion, is there good snorkeling on HMC? We have our own gear. First time on this island. We have snorkeled at RC island before, not bad, but not great either.

As covered in the many other threads on HMC, snorkeling on HMC is average at best. It is far better on other islands in the Caribbean.

Is it worth a rental for just two people? We have no excursions planned for the other ports so thought I might splurge for HMC. I rented one but not sure if I want to cancel. We were there in January and it was COLD. So booked another trip for April! :D

"Worth it" is a totally personal opinion, that is yours to make. Is a $5000 Cartier watch worth it, when you can buy a Timex for $30? Only you can decide that.

In our case, DW has decided the cabana, AND the Butler upgrade (available only on HAL), have been worth it for our last 5 visits. Who am I to disagree?

I guess maybe I should have specified that I will be sailing on Carnival. Does Carnival provide beach towels in the cabana? The website lists the snacks, bottled water, soft drinks, snorkel gear, etc. But no mention of beach towels. We could always bring a few from the ship, but don't want the extra stuff to worry about if it isn't necessary.

With spending the money for an excursion, is there good snorkeling on HMC? We have our own gear. First time on this island. We have snorkeled at RC island before, not bad, but not great either.

Some times responses can be a bit snotty, so let me clarify what CruiserBruce means about the snorkeling.

I have never (except for Bermuda) had softer, whiter, cleaner, smoother sand under my toes, maybe Cape Cod 50 years ago, but even that is a stretch. Thing is, to get good snorkeling you need to be in an area where fish can hide. Where they can feed, where they can hunt, and that is near rocky areas. And this beach DOES NOT HAVE ROCKS! So you can pay for an excursion, which I have read is good, but you wont enter the water there on your own. You have to have an excursion. So, do the excursion and see some fish, or save $ and really enjoy that beach!

Four is the max for cabanas. The Villas are quite large two story structures, and able to accommodate more.

I'm sorry I was speaking of towels. We have two Villas for 20 people and I was wondering if we would get 16 towels.

I'm sorry I was speaking of towels. We have two Villas for 20 people and I was wondering if we would get 16 towels.

I don't think that would be a problem. Just ask one of the staff members.

Thank you Jamman.....we will be back to Half Moon Cay next month. I am going to print this map to take along

Wrigley80 (or anyone else who has been there recently) - would love to know your take on the different cabana choices and pros and cons of the different ones. I know we don't want the lower numbers (1-6 or 7), but not sure how far down the beach to pick for both privacy and convenience.

Edited by sportzmom