April 12 - Independence of the Seas: Where manners went to die

Oh come on.....People digging into the buffet trays with bare hands....I'm sorry and I don't care cause I don't believe this. If it would have been one person that you saw..ok, but you saw a lot of people doing it......I don't buy it and adults at that! I have seen kids do it a couple of times and I told the Windjammer staff and they removed the trays immediately. And if you did see it did you bring it to anybodies attention or did you just look disgusted and let other people get food from there???? You make it seem like you were on a cruise with a ship full of cavmen! So what else happened good on the cruise??

I'm sorry, but it's TRUE. I was on that cruise and it DID happen! He's not fibbing...

Joe

Let's see "people scooping out salad, pineapple and hash browns with their hands", I'm sorry to say this but I don't believe one word of what your saying.....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:...K.O.

I'm sorry, but I too saw it with my own eyes...

Joe

Here..Here... My observations EXACTLY. I just can't believe that people can act like such PIGS! I don't claim to have the best social graces, but come on people! I heard that there were over 400 sick passengers on this sailing and would have expected more the way that these people acted.

Chair Hogs. This is the thing that irks me the most. Do these people think that they are so entitled to be able to do this or are they just STUPID. It was impossible to get a chair in the Solarium. We did get some revenge on the first sea day. We just got out of the hot tub and headed to the pool when it started raining HARD for about 10 minutes. All of the hog's stuff, towels, bags, books etc got SOAKED! After it stopped, I removed stuff off off a couple of chairs and put their stuff against the rail, and they NEVER came back for the stuff. I continued to do this for the remainder of the cruise. This was some of the worst hogging that I've seen in quite a while. There is a way to stop this somewhat. They had an "open" towel policy on this ship. If they would make people check them out with their S&S card like in the past, the user would be responsible for the towels. This would hurt them in the pocketbook, so they might think twice.

I also saw a group of folks in their '70s that were smoking on deck 4 (in their spot) WHILE the ship was being refueled. There were signs posted that there was to be no smoking in this area. When asked if they saw the signs, they told me that they did and then swore at me... UNBELIEVABLE!

Thanks for letting me rant!

Joe

Why should they care if they could have blown up 6,000 people? I'm sure the 'no smoking' signs were not meant for THEM.

I am sure we have all seen people grab a slice of pizza or bread etc without using the tongs provided, which I don't condone but they are basically touching what they are getting and nothing else although there are some exceptions that people have pointed out in this thread. I use the Windjammer for lunch and most breakfast on every cruise and I also occasionally eat at buffet restaurants on land and so what I will not buy into is the OP saying "people scooping out salad, pineapple and hash browns with their hands". I have never seen this on land or sea. I would have seriously asked the person "What the hell are you doing"? I would have then went to one of the officers who work the Windjammer and reported it and pointed out the person! Come on what did they do wipe the juice from their hand full of pineapples on their clothes or went all the way back to the table dripping juice....really!? Call me a skeptic or whatever but if somebody was actually doing that, they must have just stepped out of the stone age!

I turned in a guy to an officer. They removed the tray of salami and replaced it. I saw the officer talking to him, but I don't know what was done.

Joe

Early in the cruise ( can't remember which day), Windjammner had a sign at the entrance that food is not allowed out of the buffet. An adult male pax took a plate of food out and was stopped by the Asian lady staff.

He refused to go back in but proceeded to walk away telling the staff he's going back to his cabin xxxx.

Since then a security officer was posted at the entrance to Windjammer.

Plain ignorance ? Me first ?

Early in the cruise ( can't remember which day), Windjammner had a sign at the entrance that food is not allowed out of the buffet. An adult male pax took a plate of food out and was stopped by the Asian lady staff.

He refused to go back in but proceeded to walk away telling the staff he's going back to his cabin xxxx.

Since then a security officer was posted at the entrance to Windjammer.

Plain ignorance ? Me first ?

I'm not sure I've ever seen signage on any ship saying that food can't be taken out of the Windjammer.

I have only seen that on Mariner in 2009 in San Pedro. I found a seat by the door and watch so many people get stopped by crew. the local law was the reason given. it was almost impossible to find a seat as a result. Lots of people were mad and a few ignored them and headed to the cabin. food was allowed out after the ship left.

I was on the same cruise and had a similar experience. With hands in the food I only saw adults commit the crime! A man putting his hands in the toppings for the ice cream, a lady picking the perfect piece of toast with her hands while the staff tried to tell her no!

I did see pool attendants swooping up towels on the last day at sea. And smoking on the port side was annoying, but I just walked the other side. More annoying were the smokers out on their balconies.

We had a terrific cruise, even saw pilot whales and dolphins on the last day of the cruise.

I'm not sure I've ever seen signage on any ship saying that food can't be taken out of the Windjammer.

Signs were up on this sailing because of Noro. I saw some ladies arguing with the greeter about taking their food outside. They were really giving her a hard time.

Joe

I was on this boat and in Windjammer a lot with my young kids waiting at a table in Chops for me to get back with their food. I never once witnessed anyone grabbing with their hands. It seemed the Noro spread from the # of kids on this Easter trip. While my kids were healthy - how do make sure you 500 passengers under the age of 7 "wash their hands" every time. RCCL needs to make it a more kid friendly thing. The staff outside the eating establishments is great but clearly no longer solves the problem.

As far as the towels - man up - move the towels yourself. We did it every day and not once were confronted by the douches that places them there - and only enjoyed the pool area. We have found this to be the case at every resort or cruise we've been to these last 20 years.

Where it became inconvenient was when we had to be served everything and you couldn't reach Room Service. But at the point, I was just happy we we're getting all 8 days and not returning to FTL. The IOS is NOT the Liberty or Freedom but I think that is a staff only issue.

I'm not overly surprised by the skeptics. Whether or not you choose to believe me makes no difference to me. I saw it. It happened. I shared my experience. Others witnessed the same thing, so I know I'm not alone. I have nothing to gain by lying about this, so go ahead, think what you want to think if that makes you feel better. It doesn't change the truth.

I'm not overly surprised by the skeptics. Whether or not you choose to believe me makes no difference to me. I saw it. It happened. I shared my experience. Others witnessed the same thing, so I know I'm not alone. I have nothing to gain by lying about this, so go ahead, think what you want to think if that makes you feel better. It doesn't change the truth.

Something got out of control quickly so I very much believe you as much as my stomach does not want me to ;)

I gotta stand up for the smokers (at least those who follow the rules). I'm not a cigarette smoker (I used to be), but I do enjoy a nice cigar. I'm also a considerate smoker - I don't want to smoke around people who are non-smokers any more than non-smokers want me to smoke around them. I will only smoke in designated areas and I'll support throwing anyone smoking in a non-designated area overboard. In a perfect world, I'd have a Connoisseur's Club (like the ones on all Freedom-class ships) on every ship rather than having the smokers out on deck where the wind can waft the smell all over the place.

If you don't like that smoking is allowed on board or where the designated areas are located, complain to RCI - they make the rules on all that. Do not lump people who are smoking in a designated area (aka following the rules) into the same group as people who hog chairs or put their bare (probably unwashed) hands into food at a buffet.

I gotta stand up for the smokers (at least those who follow the rules). I'm not a cigarette smoker (I used to be), but I do enjoy a nice cigar. I'm also a considerate smoker - I don't want to smoke around people who are non-smokers any more than non-smokers want me to smoke around them. I will only smoke in designated areas and I'll support throwing anyone smoking in a non-designated area overboard. In a perfect world, I'd have a Connoisseur's Club (like the ones on all Freedom-class ships) on every ship rather than having the smokers out on deck where the wind can waft the smell all over the place.

If you don't like that smoking is allowed on board or where the designated areas are located, complain to RCI - they make the rules on all that. Do not lump people who are smoking in a designated area (aka following the rules) into the same group as people who hog chairs or put their bare (probably unwashed) hands into food at a buffet.

My beef is not with smokers. I don't care if you smoke (it doesn't bother me like some people), but to disobey the no smoking signs while the ship is refueling and then to tell me to go f**k myself is totally unacceptable to me. This group appeared to be in the late 60s to 70s...sheesh..

Joe

Edited by MrCruzeaddict

It's got to do with respect, the tone of which you speak to them, and the situation.... Nobody wants to be yelled at, especially when they know, they are wrong.:)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I didn't yell at them, I simply pointed to the sign and spoke in a calm manner. Their attitude was "Yes, there are signs, but I'm ENTITLED, so they don't pertain to ME"

I didn't yell at them, I simply pointed to the sign and spoke in a calm manner. Their attitude was "Yes, there are signs, but I'm ENTITLED, so they don't pertain to ME"

It doesn't really matter, when someone is breaking the rules, any approach without the authority to enforce will be taken as confrontational.

Burt

I wondered what was going to happen when smoking was banned on balconies and all the smoke was concentrated in one area. However, I will say that on the Grandeur recently, it was pretty easy to avoid the situation by walking on the pool deck side where smoking was not permitted.

"it was pretty easy to avoid the situation by walking on the pool deck side where smoking was not permitted"

BUT...BUT....I paid to walk in both areas!

Let me first say that I hate smoky places - irritates my eyes, and is just generally unpleasant.

But I do have to note - the smokers ALSO paid to cruise and to be able to smoke in the areas that RCI allows them to do so. As long as they observe those rules and confine their smoking to those areas, I have no trouble trying to avoid those areas as much as possible, and resign myself to smoke if I do decide to go through the areas.

And smoking on the port side was annoying, but I just walked the other side. More annoying were the smokers out on their balconies.

On the other hand, I'll have absolutely no hesitation reporting smokers for that, if its affecting my enjoyment of my own balcony, which I paid to have smoke-free according to RCI's rules.

Edited by LetsGetWet!

I have only seen that on Mariner in 2009 in San Pedro. I found a seat by the door and watch so many people get stopped by crew. the local law was the reason given. it was almost impossible to find a seat as a result. Lots of people were mad and a few ignored them and headed to the cabin. food was allowed out after the ship left.

I remember that, too. We asked the CD why they did that in LA and he said it was a local rule due to the Medfly, which was a complete and utter crock - no other ship that we have sailed from San Pedro ever had that rule.

More annoying were the smokers out on their balconies.

Let me first say that I hate smoky places - irritates my eyes, and is just generally unpleasant.

But I do have to note - the smokers ALSO paid to cruise and to be able to smoke in the areas that RCI allows them to do so. As long as they observe those rules and confine their smoking to those areas, I have no trouble trying to avoid those areas as much as possible, and resign myself to smoke if I do decide to go through the areas.

On the other hand, I'll have absolutely no hesitation reporting smokers for that, if its affecting my enjoyment of my own balcony, which I paid to have smoke-free according to RCI's rules.

Last Saturday we were docked next to the Liberty of the Seas in Cozumel. We were sitting on our balcony and saw a lady on the LOS smoking on her balcony. I guess she didn't get the memo.:rolleyes:

I remember that, too. We asked the CD why they did that in LA and he said it was a local rule due to the Medfly, which was a complete and utter crock - no other ship that we have sailed from San Pedro ever had that rule.

Don't you just hate it when they give a reason for something and you just know it is not the reason. I think they have a book entitled, "Things to tell the Passengers to make them go away" !!!:D;)

"it was pretty easy to avoid the situation by walking on the pool deck side where smoking was not permitted"

BUT...BUT....I paid to walk in both areas!

get a grip,have a sleep,wake up and think of something else to whine about

I was on this ship and there were people from all nationalities onboard. Ive traveled the world and it is not uncommon for some to use bare hands handling food. Not everyone thinks it disgusting like us americans.