Need help picking an excursion in Corsica

rashdecision

My wife, two children (ages 7 and 9), my inlaws and I are traveling to Ajaccio Corsica for a day on the Disney Magic. We will be there on a Sunday (I believe 5/23) and I am lost as to what to do on this island. I have heard it is one of the most scenic stops on the cruise. We considered just heading to the beach off the port then spending the day DIY in Ajaccio but it is May and may be a bit chilly to be on the beach and it is Sunday so many places may be closed. I am very interested in Les Calanches but have seen very little mentioned about it on these boards. We also have the option of the Pruneli gorges but again, I have no idea what these are. HELP!!!!

Well, count us as fans of the beach (especially with kids) since you can walk to the beach from the port. The city beach is actually quite nice, has real sand (a rarity in much of Europe) and clean water. There are also quite a few cafes within a short walk of the beach so it can be a nice relaxing beach day. As to excursions, we found the "Calanches" tour to be interesting because not only do you get to see some interesting rock formations, but you also get a bus ride across a large part of Corsica. However, we would not recommend that excursion for children who would be totally bored.

Hank

I thought Les Calanches may be a tough one on the kids. I wonder what will be open on a Sunday in Corsica in regards to shops etc? I may see if the inlaws will keep the kids and my wife and I may travel to Les Calanches. Do you know about the Pruneli gorge? It is another excursion offered but I am unsure of what this is?

• 2 weeks later...

We did the gorge tour. We enjoyed it. Kids would hate it, mostly sitting in a coach enjoying some fabulous views/villages etc and with photo stops along the way.

Here is a link to a question I replied to before.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1065346&highlight=prunelli

TIP

If you are logged on, you can SEARCH THIS FORUM with key words and any previous replies will pop up. I think this is the only previous post on this subject and the only reply on this board, but on other boards it works very well with usually loads of info in the results.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone recently back from Corsica want to provide suggestions based on their experience? Has anyone rented a car there? We have two children (10 and 13) who would probably be OK with a bus ride to Les Calanques, but renting a car might make it more enjoyable. However, I am not sure that is feasible if we arrive at 0730 and the ship sails at 1600.

Archived