Zuiderdam December 6, 2017 Partial Panama Canal 11 night.

pamrose228

Seriously thinking of a family cruise for my 30th Anniversary. Tell me about HAL and the Zuiderdam. Would a 24 year old have fun.. The cruise itself is port intensive. Six ports plus canal. Anyone take this particular one.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Forums mobile app

I have cruised several times on the Zuiderdam to the Panama Canal and enjoyed the service, food, efficient crew, and interesting ports.

Although they will be different next year, here are the menus from the 11-day Zuiderdam cruise from Dec 2016.:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/specifc-cruise-lido-and-mdr-menus/hal-caribbean-11-day-menus-201617-season/

If your are thinking of your fellow HAL passengers to entertain you, you will be disappointed. Enjoy the food, service, efficient crew, great ports, free computer classes, indoor/outdoor pools, free 24/7 Room Service, relaxed atmosphere, exercise facilities, etc.

We did the 10 day in Dec 2016 and felt it was one of the best cruises we've taken. We didn't take any excursion at the canal ... riding through the locks was the reason we booked this particular itinerary.

We had a balcony on the port side. Going in we faced the channel to the new locks and were able to watch a HUGE container ship moving parallel to us. While anchored in the lake we faced the old locks. Coming back out we had the 2nd channel on our side so could watch the container ship next to us going up and down. All views are subject to change :D My DH has mobility issues so the view from our balcony is more important to us than to some others.

In Aruba, Curacao (at the Megapier) and Colon the port side was facing the dock - google "images Aruba cruise port" (substitute the port you're interested in) to get an idea what they're like and to guess on the odds of what the views will be.

Edited by summersigh

We did the 10 day in Dec 2016 and felt it was one of the best cruises we've taken. We didn't take any excursion at the canal ... riding through the locks was the reason we booked this particular itinerary.

We had a balcony on the port side. Going in we faced the channel to the new locks and were able to watch a HUGE container ship moving parallel to us. While anchored in the lake we faced the old locks. Coming back out we had the 2nd channel on our side so could watch the container ship next to us going up and down. All views are subject to change :D My DH has mobility issues so the view from our balcony is more important to us than to some others.

In Aruba, Curacao (at the Megapier) and Colon the port side was facing the dock - google "images Aruba cruise port" (substitute the port you're interested in) to get an idea what they're like and to guess on the odds of what the views will be.

We did the 11 day in February. Because Something Big of the Seas was at the Megapier we were docked in the harbor, inside the floating bridge. Interesting views all around. Because we don't do the "shopping mall" in ports, we were happy not to be at the Megapier.

You're right that views in the canal are "subject to change." We took the tour to see the new locks, and in the distance we could see Zuiderdam passing through the locks on her way out to sea. We also saw a humongous freighter in the new locks.

OP, if you're thinking about doing a tour to see the new locks, do the one that also goes to the visitor center for the old locks.The other tour to the new locks shows you the old US base after the lock visit. That turned out to be a long boring ride past apartment houses before returning to the ship. And as for whether your 24-year-old would have fun, that really depends on what he/she thinks is fun. No waterslides, bumper cars, climbing wall. HAL tends to be quiet, low-key. There are 2 pools, a nice spa. And on our cruise, they showed documentaries about the canal several times, if your family is interested in the history and technology of the canal. Take a look at the excursions offered on the cruise. You can download it from the itinerary page in the booking process. That will give you an idea of the kinds of activities offered in port.

We also did this cruise this past February. With apologies to the other posters, to us it was "nice" but not the favorite of all the cruises we have taken. The Canal was interesting and I very much enjoyed our excursion in Costa Rica but the rest of the trip was just so-so. Our weather wasn't perfect so maybe that had something to do with it. This was our second voyage on the Zuiderdam. She appeared to be in good condition but seemed very dated to me. Hopefully, her retrofit in October will brighten her up a bit.

Bottom line - I don't think I would recommend this trip for a 24yr. old unless there was intense interest in the Canal or some of the other ports. JMHO.

• 3 weeks later...
We are looking into this cruise, but for March 2018. Just curious as to the size of the balconies.

The regular balconies are a good size. They are "old school" balconies that have not been hit by the new build shrink rays (Princess Royal Class) or gimmicks (Celebrity Edge). As a bonus, the balcony cabins are also a good size and have a small couch. The aft corner suites have very large wrap around balconies.

My father , son and I were on that same cruise in Dec 2016.

We had great weather, the food was excellent, especially in the Pinnacle. Service was fantastic. My son was a bit bored, but he is 12 and not many kids on that time of year. There may not be enough excitement for a 24 year old, it is a more relaxed crowd. But honestly I was on the cruise for relaxation and so it was perfect for me.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

We did the 10-day itinerary this past February and had a great cruise. If the 24-year-old is the type who can relax without a lot of activities, then it's possible to have a good time. I'm 55 and was among the youngest 10 percent of the passengers. The holiday cruise after the one you're thinking about would have a lot more families--but of course would be a lot more expensive.

We had an outside cabin without a balcony. It was neat to see the walls of the lock outside our window. We stayed on the ship and did not take an excursion in Panama. We had great views on one of the front decks going through the locks into the canal (and enjoyed the delicious Panama buns). On the way out, we wandered more around the ship to get different vantages, such as touching the wall from the Promenade Deck.

This was our second partial transit. Our first one was on a Princess ship. I remember more about the people we met and the activities on that cruise than I do about the canal.

My husband and I did that exact cruise in December 2014. We're both in our early 40s. We loved it. We did white water rafting in Costa Rica (best excursion ever), we went kayaking on the Panama Canal (actually, it was gatun lake), and did the beaches of Aruba on our own. While on board we did the Pub/Bar crawl and had the best time ever. It's all what you make of it. On longer cruises, there does tend to be an older crowd because most younger folks don't have the time for a longer cruise. So, your son will just have to start the party! Enjoy!

How many formal nights are there?

My 24 year old has a BS in geography and is more interested in the ports than cruising.

Also can you get the locks tour in Panama?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

How many formal nights are there?

My 24 year old has a BS in geography and is more interested in the ports than cruising.

Also can you get the locks tour in Panama?

There are two gala nights. They are not formal, as the dress code has been relaxed. Men do not need a jacket and tie; a collared shirt and trousers (not jeans) is the minimum. Level of dress varies a lot. I've seen most men in jackets, many with ties. Other posters have seen fewer men in jackets.

Yes, you can take a tour of the locks. I recommend the one that goes to both visitor centers. That will give an idea of the differences in how the locks work. On our cruise, they showed some documentaries about the building of the canal, which might also be of interest.

Should have been more specific. Can I take locks tour without HA. DO you remember the guide and approx cost. Thanks for info on gala night. I will wear a gown though.

Should have been more specific. Can I take locks tour without HA. DO you remember the guide and approx cost. Thanks for info on gala night. I will wear a gown though.

All tours must be through HAL. You take the tender a short ride to a dock where you meet your tour bus. You can't tender ashore without a tour ticket. I think it's Panama's rule, not HAL's because I've seen this restriction on other lines.

We did the 11 day cruise a few years ago, and found the canal very interesting. Regardless of how many movies or books you read about the canal, there is nothing like seeing it up close. New canal was still under construction. Took the tour that went to the visitors centre and along the way saw the construction up close. A set of locks were sitting on dry land and we marvelled at their size.

We are considering doing this cruise again, but staying on the ship and not take a tour.

Each to his/her own as to where/what your interests are.

Hal is our cruise company of choice. Have tried others, but keep coming back to HAL.

So I booked the three of us. Got an upper promenade obstructed view mid ship port side. It has one on those doors that open up for fresh air. Son is uncertain still have until October to decide. We are in our early 60s so we don't stay up to 2 am but like a fun time . I have questions:

1) tell me about internet packages since this cruise is pretty port intensive how many minutes would be good. In ports I get free wifi and emails and texts.

2) I don't drink alcohol and will bring my wine allotment what is the cost of the non alcoholic package. Need my bottled water and coffee. Can you buy bottled water on the ship by case?

3) Excursions except for PC recommendations. Thinking banana plantation in Costa Rica, does anyone have a non ship one in mind.

TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We went a few years back and enjoyed it a lot. We really enjoyed Puerto Limon,Costa Rica and our private tour doing the Tortuguero Canal Tour with Syl Travel Day Tours and Edgard Masco. Marvin was our driver and Joel was our OUTSTANDING guide. It was like $55 pp for 4 hours and included a banana plantation tour, canal boat ride, saw sloths, had a beer at El Faro Restaurant...on a secluded beach...so cool. syltravelcr dot com Was an awesome tour. We also liked a beach day at Half Moon Cay and we rented a clamshell for about $16 (two people) to get out of the sun or hide your stuff better while in the water. In the water, right at the beach entrance, were lots of cool fish all around you. Nice relaxing day but hot! Have an awesome time and hope this helps. Enjoy the video

We are looking into this cruise, but for March 2018. Just curious as to the size of the balconies.

The Zuiderdam (regular as opposed to suites) verandah cabins have room for 2 chairs, a footstool and a small round side table between the chairs.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Panama Canal cruise on the Zuiderdam is an outstanding introduction to the Panama Canal.

The ship will travel a few locks on the way to Gatun Lake and turn around and go through them again, high interesting and fascinating. Suggest you go on the Holland America Line website to look at the Shore Excursions that are offered.

You will all enjoy this cruise.

• 3 months later...

In response to recommended tours in Colon: We thought Colon was the most terrible city we have ever seen on a cruise. I would avoid the city completely. However, you CAN take a tour to the control area for the old locks, and this was great - strongly recommended. We found a private tour operator (driver) in the port who took us there. He had a guide who had excellent english and provided very interesting information. Unfortunately, they also drove us around in Colon, where I actually felt pretty unsafe. I would opt for a ship tour here, and we rarely take them.

The OP already booked but it's worth noting that there are a lot of reviews of this itinerary on the cruise reviews pages. I'm also considering this cruise but less so after reading comments about ports and the partial transit in the reviews.

Not sure what ocean view cabin has a door for fresh air, as mentioned.

"Great introduction" to the canal sounds like a cautious sort of recommendation of the partial transit. I could see how a major world city or something of that nature might be worth traveling to for an "introduction". Then again maybe I'd understand after seeing the canal.