Suggestions for getting to Thornbury Castle from Southampton

We have booked a couple of nights at Thornbury Castle following out cruise in June. I am looking for transport companies that would pick us up at the Southampton cruise port and drive us to the castle. I would then need a company to again pick us up at the castle and take us to another hotel in London. We had managed very well in finding such transport to and from Harwich last August, but am finding this to be a bit more difficult. Neither my DH or I are brave enough to drive ourselves.

I am hoping that someone out there will have experience with this and can help us get to where we need to go.

It is a long way from Southampton to Thornbury Castle and from Thornbury Castle to London. It's going to be quite expensive. You could look at getting a train or bus to/from Bristol and just use a taxi service to and from Bristol to Thornbury Castle.

It is a long way from Southampton to Thornbury Castle and from Thornbury Castle to London. It's going to be quite expensive. You could look at getting a train or bus to/from Bristol and just use a taxi service to and from Bristol to Thornbury Castle.

Was thinkin' the same thing myself.

Direct hourly service from Southampton Central to Bristol Temple Meads from £12 pp, journey time about 1hr 40 mins.

Then a 15 mile / 25 minute taxi journey.

Alternatively change trains at Bristol & take a local train to Patchway, about 8 miles from Thornbury Castle.

Ditto back to Bristol Temple Meads, then 2 to 3 direct trains per hour to London, from £15pp, journey time about 1hr 45.

Yes.West Quay, or http://www.smithsforairports.com could provide a private transfer Southampton to Thornbury but expect it to cost about £150. Both are based in Southampton, so unsuitable for the transfer Thornbuty to London, but expect that to cost well in excess of £150. You might get a better deal for both journeys from an operator based in Bristol / Thornbury - sorry, don't know the operators in that area, perhaps your hotel could suggest.

Off the top of my head, the total for trains plus taxis will be about £200 cheaper than private transfers.

Worth considering?

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

JB :)

I can see why you want to stay there - it looks fabulous and prices are not out of this world either.

The train to Bristol will obviously be the most cost effective option, but with cruise luggage it might be hard work. It may well be worth using a Southampton based taxi to get you there and a Bristol based firm for the second leg.

You might consider extending the arrival day and stopping off at Salisbury and Bath, both of which are on the direct route to Bristol.