Almaplena Eco Resort or Maya Chan Resort

browniegirl

Hi all! We are in Costa Maya in October with our two daughters, 10 and 13. We are torn between these two resorts, both look great for the day.

Does anyone have a preference and why?

Thanks in advance!!!

Leah

I love Almaplena. But kids may be bored as it's small, quiet, low key, with very few people there each day. If you want a lazy day at the beach it's great. Do your girls like being in the water or snorkeling?

I have a review under my signature.

I love Almaplena. But kids may be bored as it's small, quiet, low key, with very few people there each day. If you want a lazy day at the beach it's great. Do your girls like being in the water or snorkeling?

I have a review under my signature.

Hi, yes, they love the water!! I will check out your review for sure, thanks!!

Almaplena does look serene for sure.....but Maya Chan maybe better for kids?

Leah

Hi all! We are in Costa Maya in October with our two daughters, 10 and 13. We are torn between these two resorts, both look great for the day.

Does anyone have a preference and why?

Thanks in advance!!!

Leah

I've wondered this myself! I'd love hear your review when you return. It's my understanding that Almaplena is farther away from port. Our tentative plan is Maya Chan then leave in time to walk around Mahahual. Almaplena looks tempting though!

Almaplenais about a 30 minute cab ride from the port. Very isolated, and other than the resort there is nothing there.It is a great place for either couples who want peace and quiet or for a large group that can entertain themselves without any outside activities.

We loved Maya Chan! I just posted more information in the new Maya Chan thread. They picked us up and provided transportation back to the ship for us.

When we were there we didn't have any kids at the resort that day. We mostly sat in the water on floating chairs drinking and enjoying the relaxing day. The food was outstanding! The couples massage was fun!

They do have kayaks and I think folks snorkeled. I'm not sure what else there really is for kids but it is a wonderful place!

• 1 month later...
Were there many vendors at Maya Chan?

I doubt there would be any vendors at Maya Chan. There were certainly none the day we were there. It is an isolated beach club and would not attract passing vendors unless there was some agreement with the owners.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm going to piggy back on this topic...

We were at Maya Chan in February, and it is an amazing place. The food, drinks, and staff are all incredible. It's perfect for a relaxing day.

However, in my opinion it wasn't the best for snorkeling (for those interested), but others may disagree. The day we were there, the water was very murky. You can snorkel if you swim way out. There are kayaks, but we never did find the buoy they indicated to use. So outside of swimming all the way out (not a great option with our five year old), we really couldn't snorkel at all.

My question is for... for anyone that as been to Almaplena... Does it have the same issue with the murky, brown water? I know at Maya Chan, it's hit or miss, but most of the pictures I have seen show this type of water. But the pictures from Almaplena all appear to have really clear water near the beach. I understand we may still need to swim out to really do some good snorkeling, but clear water near the beach is just so much more pleasant.

I have read Mitsugirly's review (in case that comes up), and her pictures of Almaplena look amazing also. Does anyone know if it generally is clear at this beach?

Thanks!!

I'm going to piggy back on this topic...

We were at Maya Chan in February, and it is an amazing place. The food, drinks, and staff are all incredible. It's perfect for a relaxing day.

However, in my opinion it wasn't the best for snorkeling (for those interested), but others may disagree. The day we were there, the water was very murky. You can snorkel if you swim way out. There are kayaks, but we never did find the buoy they indicated to use. So outside of swimming all the way out (not a great option with our five year old), we really couldn't snorkel at all.

My question is for... for anyone that as been to Almaplena... Does it have the same issue with the murky, brown water? I know at Maya Chan, it's hit or miss, but most of the pictures I have seen show this type of water. But the pictures from Almaplena all appear to have really clear water near the beach. I understand we may still need to swim out to really do some good snorkeling, but clear water near the beach is just so much more pleasant.

I have read Mitsugirly's review (in case that comes up), and her pictures of Almaplena look amazing also. Does anyone know if it generally is clear at this beach?

Thanks!!

I am curious about this, too. I have booked our Costa Maya stop there in 2 weeks so I can report back when we return. But would love any insight from those who have already been.

Thanks!!

We've been to Almaplena several times. Sometimes we've had beautiful waters and other times we've had murky browns. Sorry to say, but it is hit or miss at Almaplena too.