One Day Passes at Tortola Resorts?

harryw

No, Tortola is not really like that. There is one semi big resort...but it isn't like other islands like Cozumel, where you can use their beach, they have restaurants, water toys, etc on the beach, etc...You can go to any beach on Tortola and have the same thing you would have if you went to a resort..so just find a beach you like and head that way...Have fun, it is beautiful...returned 2 weeks ago...:(

Thanks -

Do you know if at Cane Garden Bay, both umbellas and chairs are available? The photos I saw of the beach didn't indicate that.. Also, does it get unbearably crowded there as some posts indicate?

Harry

Chairs yes, but I don't believe there are umbrellas..There are many beach bars/restaurants along there though, so when you've had enough sun you can go sit inside and have a drink, etc.

It will be very crowded because that is a very popular beach with cruise ship passengers...It's a fun little area though and I think you will enjoy it. It is just hard to get seclusion, etc when you are part of a cruise ship exodus...:p

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Again -

Would you agree that Brewer's Bay would be less crowded than Cane?

Someone posted that BB also has chair rentals but no umbrellas, but that there is alot of natural shade on the left side..Do you know if this is true?

Hi Again -

Would you agree that Brewer's Bay would be less crowded than Cane?

Someone posted that BB also has chair rentals but no umbrellas, but that there is alot of natural shade on the left side..Do you know if this is true?

No umbrellas for rent in January 08, just lounge chairs ($5 for the day). Lots of shade. You ca easily sit in the shade while your partner suns....that what we did :) The shade is not on the left, it's on your right when you are looking a the water. On your left is the better area for snorkeling. Lots of pictures posted on Brewers Bay. Look at the thread about "Pyrate" and finding a "beach similar to Brewers Bay" in this forum...you'll see what we mean about the trees shading along the beach.

Jan

• 4 weeks later...
Jan,

I read on tripadvisor that the bathroom facilities at Nicole's Bar are disgusting and that is the only choice.

Comment?

Thanks!

The bathroom is what I call "Caribbean rustic" but it was clean....Nicole's has a sign asking that people put their tp in the rubbish container and not flush it....maybe he was having problems at another time with too much paper and poor drainage or something sparking those reports. I will say by the end of the day the floor of the bathroom was slippery and wet sand "muddied". Can't expect the guy to stop selling those to die for pina coladas to mop the floor can you??? Your on vacation! Rinse your feet off when you come out of the bathroom if the floor is wet.

IMHO - I think that the least people can do when using his bathroom is purchase something to drink or eat! I saw so many people with their gypsy type lunches on the beach that helped themselves to the facilities at Nicole's all day long without ever purchasing ANYTHING. That doesn't seem right to me! It is a beach bar, not the public restroom.

Jan

Jan,

As usual, you get it! Cruise passengers are getting a terrible reputation in the BVI for a seemingly uncaring attitude toward the folks that live there and/or run a business there. Utilizing the facilities while not patronizing the business is just out and out wrong. As you say, they are not "public restrooms" but are there for the people that spend their money at the business. This is nothing different then you will find in the US and many other places that cater to visitors. We often see signs that state, "restrooms for customers only" in tourist areas.

As for reports of a dirty restroom, who makes it that way?? These business owners can't be in there every five minutes cleaning up after uncaring and thoughtless people. That includes on the beaches too. Everyone should be considerate of others and clean up after themselves but unfortunately that doesn't happen.

There is growing sentiment amongst the residents of the BVI to severly reduce or cut out the cruise ships entirely due to some of these problems. They existed quite well befor the ships came and will continue to do so if they ever stop.

Deb,

I can tell you from much experience, the plumbing in the islands of the BVI isn't always the best. They have their reasons for asking you not to flush the paper. Respectfully, if that's a must, you might want to consider another island. Having large numbers of cruise passengers visiting Tortola is a fairly recent thing and the infrastructure just isn't up to handling the challenge.

I think you know very well what I meant by suggesting you consider another island. :rolleyes: It was meant as simple advice, if you're that "spoiled" then Tortola may not be for you, that's all.

You could take this as a relaxing day aboard the ship without the crowds.

I think you know very well what I meant by suggesting you consider another island. :rolleyes: It was meant as simple advice, if you're that "spoiled" then Tortola may not be for you, that's all.

You could take this as a relaxing day aboard the ship without the crowds.

I second the relaxing day on the ship idea. This is an easy port to get off and on the ship. You could visit the little shops at port and then back on ship, maybe a treatment or two at the spa and a drink of the day, one or more. I've seen the toilets on the ship around the pool on sea days that certainly needed "attention", but you can always flush your paper.

Whatever you choose, have a great time.

Jan

Jan,

There is growing sentiment amongst the residents of the BVI to severly reduce or cut out the cruise ships entirely due to some of these problems. They existed quite well befor the ships came and will continue to do so if they ever stop.

I hate to see this happen! Sad to say that being a tourist with rude behavior seem to be something Americans are known for internationally.

Okay, all cruise critic members, lets do our best to change that perception!!

Jan

Archived