How long to spend walking around Aix?

Gracie'sMom

I'm hiring a driver to take us from Marseille to Aix on June 12. There are six of us and we're just planning on wandering around for a while. How long did you spend in Aix and was it enough time?

Thanks.

I'm hiring a driver to take us from Marseille to Aix on June 12. There are six of us and we're just planning on wandering around for a while. How long did you spend in Aix and was it enough time?

Thanks.

Are you doing anything else besides Aix or is it just a round trip? Take a look at this website and see what interests you. I would say the minimum would be two hours.

http://www.aixenprovencetourism.com/en/things-to-do/explore/

Aix is a relatively large city and one could spend many hours just walking, browsing shops, eating, etc. So the answer to your question is that it just depends on how much time you want to allot to a city, versus doing some other things with your day. One big factor will be if you plan on having lunch in Aix...and what type of restaurant. One can grab fast food and gulp down a meal in a few minutes, or you could spend 1 2 hours dining on good - excellent French cuisine.

While I normally point folks towards Tripadvisor for some decent ideas about cities, but in the case of Aix we really like the web site put up by the local Tourist Office. Reading through their various recommendations should give you a good idea of just how much you might want to do in Aix:

http://www.aixenprovencetourism.com/en/things-to-do/explore/must-dos/must-dos-in-aix-en-provence/

Hank

If you are there on the Saturday, it's the big market day, you might want to allocate a bit of time soaking in the Provence atmosphere, watching the locals, tourists and merchants. There is market somewhere just about every day (your guide will probably direct you) but Saturday is the big one.

I was recently there for the first time on a tour. We spent about two hours and it was not enough. There are flower markets, farmer's markets, markets for everything everywhere, as well as high end boutiques along the narrow streets of the old town. One shop specialized in beautiful ballet toe shoes which I took a photo of. Bakeries and cafes to stop for a coffee or lunch were plentiful. Baguettes were three for 2€, wonderful pastries. Next time I will plan a whole day in Aix.

• 2 weeks later...
I was recently there for the first time on a tour. We spent about two hours and it was not enough. There are flower markets, farmer's markets, markets for everything everywhere, as well as high end boutiques along the narrow streets of the old town. One shop specialized in beautiful ballet toe shoes which I took a photo of. Bakeries and cafes to stop for a coffee or lunch were plentiful. Baguettes were three for 2€, wonderful pastries. Next time I will plan a whole day in Aix.

Thanks for the info.