Any cure for "sea legs" post cruise?

brzymom

Help me please cruise critics! I am six days post debarkation and am still "rocking & rolling" and it just doesn't seem to want to go away!! I do not recall feeling my "sea legs" for so long post cruise. What can I do? I know from prior cruises than any kind of alcoholic beverage only intensifies the feeling, so besides steering clear of that, what can I do??:confused:

The only thing that ever worked for me was taking 1/2 of a meclizine before bed.

I wear the patch and now leave it on for 3 days after we get home. That seems to settle my inner ear while it readjusts to land.

:D Take 1/2 of 2 meclizine, book another cruise, and call me in the morning....

Seriously, this ''prolongued seasickness'' is an irritant. One of my best buddies has the best sealegs you can ever hope to have, he'll sail thru EVERYTHING the sea throws at him...and loves it !! And yet, takes him 5-8 days,once back on land, to shakeoff what amount to motion sickness on land...thus it has to be treated the same way.... He'll take the medication, as the previous poster suggested, in half doseage,...and keeps doing things you would do on a ship when you're sea-sick; stare far and straight, fresh air, eat ginger stuff...avoid sudden moves...and your inner ear ultimately ''takes a hint'' and adjusts.

Good luck....and yes: booking ( and thus looking forward to ) another cruise works like a charm....

Cheers

;)

This will be my first cruise and I don't know what I would do without this site! None of my travel books told me I might experience land-sickness after the cruise. So now I will ask the doctor for a meclizine patch. Is this the same patch I should ask for if I am worried about sea-sickness?

It will go away! I had that sensation after my 1st cruise, but only in the shower! (Must be the water???!!!!) Don't worry--it will subside. Just keep telling yourself that "I am NOT dizzy, I am NOT dizzy....." Mind over matter, and all that!

Help me please cruise critics! I am six days post debarkation and am still "rocking & rolling" and it just doesn't seem to want to go away!! I do not recall feeling my "sea legs" for so long post cruise. What can I do? I know from prior cruises than any kind of alcoholic beverage only intensifies the feeling, so besides steering clear of that, what can I do??:confused:

Same feeling. We actually wore our sea bands back on land and they did seem to help. Plenty of activity as well as we had to head back to work.

Finally tonight I feel over it.

This can happen to some after every cruise, or sometimes show up for no reason after a person has cruised many many times. We have sailed on over 35 cruises and only once did this hit after returning home. It was so severe, the doctor was called, thought it was the flu it was so terrible. I was perscribed seasickness meds, and poof, gone in a few hours. I had to take them for a week, but they kept all those nasty symptoms away.

Funny thing is, I don't get seasick, but that one time I got landsick.............ARGH! Terrible feeling.

Just treat it as you would if you were actually seasick onboard a ship and in a few days, it should pass. If it doesn't, you might possibly have an inner ear problem and I would check with your doctor, just to be on the safe side. ;)

The only cure for me is time. Last 7 nights cruise in October: took 2 months to reajust! If you want to do some research it is called "mal de debarquement" (MDD) and some people have been suffering from this for months, even years... But it doesn't stop me from cruising. OTOH, the only good thing about MDD is that people who suffer from that are OK on the sea and are not seasick... You'll notice, when you are driving, the sensation of dizziness goes away, as soon as you stop and desembark, it comes back...

Best of luck

Try spending a little time standing on the 'A' Train each day to 'wean' yourself off the feeling, until you book your next cruise!:D

This will be my first cruise and I don't know what I would do without this site! None of my travel books told me I might experience land-sickness after the cruise. So now I will ask the doctor for a meclizine patch. Is this the same patch I should ask for if I am worried about sea-sickness?

There is no meclizine patch. Meclizine is an OTC (prescription version is Antivert) med, often chewable. Still ask you primary care provider if it is all right for you to take it, based on your medications. The patch is Scopalomine, a drug with many known side effects and drug interactions, so needs a prescription from your physician to get it.

• Administrators

I agree, mostly -- time usually resolves it for me, and sometimes it's more time than I'd have thought (ten days was my longest so far). However, sometimes it's due to inner ear fluid buildup, either due to altitude changes, the pressurization of the airplane cabin, or a bug you picked up either on the ship or on the plane. So I also take a good strong decongestant (the kind you now have to go show ID to buy OTC) for a few days after we get back from a cruise. That seems to have helped in my completely anecdotal, non-scientific case study -- i.e., it helps me, or I THINK it does, which is frequently the same thing. :)

Oops, I posted the same question before reading this post -- I'm off to take some Bonine, I have lots and only needed it once on the ship... this feels so strange! I can't imagine it lasting for months, yuck!

I posted a response to your thread as well before I saw this one. They'll probably merge the two threads.

Ok--thank you one and all for your responses!! Just for the record, I have never been seasick, unless you count my last crusie when watching the horizon over the railing from my chaise made my tummy roll!! And on two cruises as a kid we were in hurricanes!! (you should have seen the water in the pool sloshing like huge waves--any my Mom running up and down to get us kids out--or the dinner tables chained, yes, chained to the floor at supper on the Cunard Queen of Bermuda!)

My symptoms have greatly subsided, I do think the OTC meds helped, the inner ear may be an issue (I don't do dives well either-can't equalize those ears) and best of all, I am talking DH's ear off right now about planning our next cruise--by far IMHO the best suggestion yet!!:D

• 7 months later...

I am now feeling this so bad I almost called in sick to work today!! I feel nauseous sitting at a table and looking at the computer. Laying down makes me feel better. My head feels like it has pressure against it and I feel that lightheaded rocking feeling like when you first take off on a plane and are slowly turning in midair. Driving feels very weird too, like I'm flying a plane instead of driving. Kind of scary! In the shower I kept almost tipping over and had to lean against the wall. Disembarked yesterday at 9am... when will this go away?? It is a horrible feeling!! I will prob take half a Bonine tonight, but I don't want to be drugged up on meds all the time. This was my first cruise and it was a bad one so I couldn't wait to get home... now that I'm home, I still feel horrible!! When can I get off this "ship"?!!

For some people, the problem can be helped by doing "exercises" : tilt head to each shoulder, forward to chest. Repeat.

Initially, it will make you feel worse :rolleyes:. However, it was recommended by my physician. It can help with the circulation of fluid in the inner ear....if I remember correctly.

At least it involves no medication, and makes you feel like you're doing something which will help yourself. :D

I don't want to alarm you, but I had the MdDS for five months after our cruise.

There is not a whole lot you can do for it, if you have it for a prolonged time you might want to find a doctor who can prescribe some meds that *might* help the symptoms, although those same meds might also prolong the recovery. There are also some vestibular exercises that have helped some folks. Exercise in general helps.

For more info, check out http://www.mddsfoundation.org/

If you go to a doctor, please find one who is familiar with the syndrome, or you may be subject to all sorts of unnecessary tests. A lot of health care professionals have never heard of it.

Hi,

After reading this thread I am getting more than a little worried. I am being treated at the moment for Vertigo/dizziness {had it 19 months.I live in England] it is getting slowly better;doing Vestibular exercises but no meds now.

Ive never cruised before & as a suprise for our 25th wedding anniversary next June myDh has booked a 14night cruise roundthe Med on the Indy. I have been hoping that 'my' dizziness will be gone by then but now the thought it may come back after the cruise worries me!

I think I shall have to have a word with my Dr. & Physio to what I may have to do.

Marie

I had it for a little over a week after the cruise. We had rough seas on the first night going into the morning and the last night going into the final day of a four night cruise. My symptoms were not bad. I had some disorientation usually when I went from sitting to standing and standing to sitting. Sometimes it felt like the room moved when I sat down or stood up. I had ear problems as a child. I had fluid build up behind my ears and tubes in my ears. Not sure if that added to the problem or is a link with other people who have experienced MdDS.

Thankfully I feel almost back to normal now!! I felt really sick (nauseous, dizzy, etc) for about three days after. Now, every now and then I feel like "the ship is moving" but maybe only once a day. I gotta say though, I am one of the few who do not like cruising. I know it's probably b/c I had a horrible first experience, but I'd much rather spend 7 days in one relaxing place then see 7 places from 1 ship. I definitely advise taking Bonine instead of the Scop Patch though - I think the patch is worse than being seasick ... and I almost had to make a run for it 2x anyway... LOL... so glad to be back on land :)

Archived