Help with shore excursions for family with 10 and 16 yo boys

A&Jfamily

I posted this on the fanily board but some suggest I post over here too.

We are planning on Princess Seattle/Alaska (probably Tracy Arm) in 2014 with our two boys, then 16 and 10. I see that the ships offer TONS of excursions, making it almost impossible to choose. Also, I have found that private excursions can save you money and get you better sightseeing, views etc.

Does anyone have any suggestions for Skagway, Juneau and Ketchican for my family either ship sponsored or private? What are the must-do's or best bang for your buck tours out there?

This is our first trip to Alaska, and I am sure not my last, but it may be our one shot as a family for quite some time.

I realize that i am asking opinions and they can be quite subjective but appreciate any help you can give! Thanks in advance.

We went to Alaska last summer on Princess with our 2 grandsons - 10 and 12 at the time. We did whale watching and a trip out to Mendenhall in Juneau with Orca Enterprises, did the Deadliest Catch Boat in Ketchican (booked on our own since it was cheaper then the cruise ship tour).

In Skagway, we rented a car and drove to Emerald Lake stopping several times on the way back. We rode a cart pulled by sled dogs and they did some panning for gold.

Both boys enjoyed the excursions - but they also enjoyed swimming and playing ping pong on the ship.

My boys are a little older (13 &17), but this summer we are doing:

Juneau - bus to Mendenhall Glacier and hike around some of the trails

Skagway - train to the Yukon and bus back with Chilkoot Charters

Ketchikan - flightseeing to Misty Fjords National Monument with Michelle from Island wings. We may also take the local bus out to Totem Bight State Park and explore the totem poles out there.

In Ketchikan and Juneau, we also considered ziplining, but decided against it since we are doing ziplining on our land tour.

My boys are a little older (13 &17), but this summer we are doing:

Juneau - bus to Mendenhall Glacier and hike around some of the trails

Skagway - train to the Yukon and bus back with Chilkoot Charters

Ketchikan - flightseeing to Misty Fjords National Monument with Michelle from Island wings. We may also take the local bus out to Totem Bight State Park and explore the totem poles out there.

In Ketchikan and Juneau, we also considered ziplining, but decided against it since we are doing ziplining on our land tour.

Will you be so kind as to post back and let me know what you thought? Zip lining is a BIG draw for both my boys, and anything nature/animal oriented. Wish we had time for a land tour, but sadly that will have to wait.

If you can pull off Glacier Bay (instead of Tracy Arm), it would be better for a first time cruiser (IMO). Good luck planning!

I had been told that by many. But,the Sunday departure works better for our schedule. And I have in the back of my mind that, within 5 years or so, we will be back...this time for a tour that includes Denali after say a northbound run. All those seem to do Glacier Bay...so I was leaving it as something new for the cruise portion. Thanks for your input though!

With boys of those ages, clearly the best Bang for you Buck is going to be hiking (free!!!!!). We found hiking to be fantastic in all of those ports with our teenage girls.

For a splurge hike, I recommend the Mendenall Glacier Trek in Juneau, which our teens loved:

http://www.beyondak.com/glaciertrekking.html

It's an approximately 3 hour hike to Mendenhall Glacier, followed by a one hour climb on the glacier with crampons, followed by a 3 hour return hike. You would have to schedule a private tour, though, as the minimum age for the group tours is 12. Our 12 year old had much less problem with the hike than I did!

With boys of those ages, clearly the best Bang for you Buck is going to be hiking (free!!!!!). We found hiking to be fantastic in all of those ports with our teenage girls.

For a splurge hike, I recommend the Mendenall Glacier Trek in Juneau, which our teens loved:

http://www.beyondak.com/glaciertrekking.html

It's an approximately 3 hour hike to Mendenhall Glacier, followed by a one hour climb on the glacier with crampons, followed by a 3 hour return hike. You would have to schedule a private tour, though, as the minimum age for the group tours is 12. Our 12 year old had much less problem with the hike than I did!

LOL. I love the idea of hiking but my finace's knee couldn't handle such a long walk...

Will you be so kind as to post back and let me know what you thought? Zip lining is a BIG draw for both my boys, and anything nature/animal oriented. Wish we had time for a land tour, but sadly that will have to wait.

I will. We aren't doing ziplining on the cruise portion, only our land portion. For that we will be hiking on the Matanuska Glacier and the ziplining with Mica Guides. None of us has ever been ziplining and this is shaping up to be the highlight of my trip!:)

As an Alaskan we always think the people who don't do the excursions get the best experience. Best bang for your buck???

Ketchikan is where you should splurge and flightseeing for the Misty Fjord.

Skagway drive the Whitepass, hit British Columbia and the Yukon in one day.

Juneau depends on how much you want to see. Lots of little shops to see downtown, the Mount Roberts Tram is great! You can also drive around Juneau (what I will be doing when my family is in town this summer) it is very scenic drive with very Alaskan scenery.

If you are trying to stay on your budget and have great adventures I would say Hike, Hike Hike, but if your fiance's knees are not up for it, I would drive to a lot of different places, the kids can get out run around, explore hidden shores, and endless nature, you and your fiance can sit and take it all in, you will be away from the crowds, away from the stores, away from everything...it is a very true Alaskan experience. One not to be missed. One that people want so much that they move here from all around the world.

And with a car you can do whatever you want... just my personal preference

There's a thread on this page or the next, called 'favorite Alaska reviews with photos" or something like that. One of the reviews is from Twosue whose family includes 2 young teens. You might find some good ideas in her report. It's not a long drawn out report like some of the others, so it's a quick and easy read.

When your family looked at the ship's excursion list which activities are they interested in?

Be aware that the ziplining tours usually have age, height and/or weight restrictions. Depending on the size of your 10 year old, you may be limited as to which ziplines you can do, if any.

I've mentioned it here before, but the excursion that my teens enjoyed most was the Klondike Gold Dredge in Skagway. We did a combo with gold panning (seeded), 40 degree below chamber, and sled dogs. The puppies were the big hit here! It's pretty corny over all, but it's where my kids had the most fun. We didn't do ziplining because we're all a bit afraid of heights, and my daughter (12) would have been too small for most.

Involve the kids in the tour selections. However, you are way too early for any firm decisions. Keep looking until into next year.

If some higher budget options are wanted, then use this extended "wait" time for the money decisions. See if a trade off could involve birthday/holiday gifts being "scaled" down? Start "bank" accounts, so to see the actual amount of the funds- which could encourage the savings and progess toward the tour costs. This is only GENERAL information and only an "idea". I see over and over, budget issues being a concern.

I took my two nephews on two cruises last year. I always do the tours I want, so they did too. They had a great time on a glacier helicopter landing, that I sent them on themselves. Two whale watches were greatly enjoyed, BUT I had already taken then on many Atlantic humpback trips- so I knew this. :) We did both the Prince William Sound boat tour, and Kenai Fjords boat tour. Coupons were used. I chartered a float plane to Traitor's Cove with a guide for extended bear viewing. Rented cars in Skagway, Juneau (2) and Haines. drove the area of the Porcupine Mine and also saw brown bears, salmon fishing. :)

Endless ideas, that only refine with paring down a list.

We sailed to Alaska last summer on Carnival, no kids, but hands down everyone's favorite activity was helicopter/dog sledding tour. We booked privately in Juneau and had a great experience. It was definitely our most costly excursion, but well worth it for us. Not something I would do every year because of the cost, but when I think of Alaska that moment of coming around the bend and seeing the glacier laid out before us is immediately what comes to mind.

We also did excursions through the ship -- the Railway in Skagway and the Bering Sea tour in Ketchikan. Loved them both but if I returned I would probably want a different experience in Skagway (rental car?) to go all the way to Emerald Lake and wander a bit on my own. Also, Ketchikan is a very cute little town and it would have been nice to spend more time there just wandering around. The Bering Sea tour took all day.

My review - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1675783

As an Alaskan we always think the people who don't do the excursions get the best experience. Best bang for your buck???

Ketchikan is where you should splurge and flightseeing for the Misty Fjord.

Skagway drive the Whitepass, hit British Columbia and the Yukon in one day.

Juneau depends on how much you want to see. Lots of little shops to see downtown, the Mount Roberts Tram is great! You can also drive around Juneau (what I will be doing when my family is in town this summer) it is very scenic drive with very Alaskan scenery.

If you are trying to stay on your budget and have great adventures I would say Hike, Hike Hike, but if your fiance's knees are not up for it, I would drive to a lot of different places, the kids can get out run around, explore hidden shores, and endless nature, you and your fiance can sit and take it all in, you will be away from the crowds, away from the stores, away from everything...it is a very true Alaskan experience. One not to be missed. One that people want so much that they move here from all around the world.

And with a car you can do whatever you want... just my personal preference

Thanks for the great suggestions! Do you have any specific suggestions about where close to the port to rent a car in Ketchikan?

Ketchikan is a little foggy for me (forgive the pun) but I have only been there a couple times, it has been a while...from what I know (or think I know) Alaska Car Rental has been there the longest and does a pretty good job. From a quick google search it seems like there are a couple of options. I would probably call and see who seems most excited about working with cruisers. I have noticed some companies base there summer around working with cruisers and some do not...

Ketchikan is a little foggy for me (forgive the pun) but I have only been there a couple times, it has been a while...from what I know (or think I know) Alaska Car Rental has been there the longest and does a pretty good job. From a quick google search it seems like there are a couple of options. I would probably call and see who seems most excited about working with cruisers. I have noticed some companies base there summer around working with cruisers and some do not...

Sorry I keep bugging you but after some reading, I have jumped on your suggestions about jsut getting out and seeing it. I really like the idea of a walking tour in Ketchikan perhaps with a little bus assistance to Totems, Potlatch etc, and am now leaning to a car in Skagway.

Can you help me with anything on that? Where to rent? Looks like Avis might be the best bet? We are in port 6 am-5pm and it seems like we would have plenty of time to drive to Emerald Lake...I have read conflicting information from a 1.5 hour drive to a 3 hour one way. Any thoughts?

And again, thanks!

I have rented from both Avis and Sourdough in Skagway. I have also taken the train. For the price sourdough is the least expensive, Avis is in the middle and the train if by far the most expensive.

I liked the experience I had at Avis. ( I rent from Avis a lot) The people working were very friendly the car was new (which is nice going up the whitepass, but even nicer coming down the mountain) the price is more expensive than sourdough, but you do see a difference in the vehicle and service. 3 hours round trip from Skagway to Emerald lake, if you want it to take longer it will. The scenery in British Columbia and Yukon is breathtaking, the only other place I have seen scenery like that is the Alps!!! amazing bang for the buck if you ask me.

For me whenever I talk to someone going to Skagway I say rent a car and drive the pass!

I have rented from both Avis and Sourdough in Skagway. I have also taken the train. For the price sourdough is the least expensive, Avis is in the middle and the train if by far the most expensive.

I liked the experience I had at Avis. ( I rent from Avis a lot) The people working were very friendly the car was new (which is nice going up the whitepass, but even nicer coming down the mountain) the price is more expensive than sourdough, but you do see a difference in the vehicle and service. 3 hours round trip from Skagway to Emerald lake, if you want it to take longer it will. The scenery in British Columbia and Yukon is breathtaking, the only other place I have seen scenery like that is the Alps!!! amazing bang for the buck if you ask me.

For me whenever I talk to someone going to Skagway I say rent a car and drive the pass!

There's no way you'd make it to Emerald Lake and back in 3 hours, even if you just drove straight there and back with no stops. Google Maps says a little over 2 hours from Skagway to Carcross. Emerald Lake is a little further. Then take into account the border crossing, which probably took us 20 minutes or so each way. You are looking at nearly 3 hours EACH WAY easily, without many stops. When we went last summer, I think we were out about 7 hours, with a long stop in Carcross for lunch. The OP does have time to make this drive, but needs to be sure to be back in time to refill their gas tank and turn in the car, and still get back to their ship by 4:30 for their 5:00 departure. Since Avis doesn't open until 8 AM, that only gives them about 8 hours, but that should be plenty.

Sold! That's gonna be our plan. With likely walking tours/hiking in Ketchikan and the whale watching/glacier with marv in Junea. Does that sound like a nice balance? Lots of time seeing the scenery and simply being outside...

Sold! That's gonna be our plan. With likely walking tours/hiking in Ketchikan and the whale watching/glacier with marv in Junea. Does that sound like a nice balance? Lots of time seeing the scenery and simply being outside...

Frankly, you aren't going until next year. I wouldn't be so fixed on selecting tours now. Your kids are in a very rapid state of change. A LOT can be found out in a year.

You have "selected" the most "popular" tours. There are hundreds more. Many find flightseeing a must- there really isn't any better way to see the vastness and beauty of Alaska.

But some facts- AVIS In Skagway doesn't open until 8am, but there will already be a line. You need to allow 5 hours for the drive. "Murrays" guide is excellent and "necessary" in my opinion.

Archived