Possible Tropical Storm For The Bahamas This Weekend

Mr305

If heading to the Bahamas this weekend on a 3 Day cruise, make sure to keep an eye on the weather. There's a storm brewing that is headed towards the Bahamas later in the week. Nothing is named yet but the potential for a named storm will get better the second half of the weekend.

We leave out of Galveston and watching the weather here too. You never know when a storm will change directions. Back in 2007 we had a storm headed for Florida. Went to bed and woke up with a direct hit where I live, South Louisiana.

Too all sailing from the POM this weekend keep on checking Carnival's web site for up dates.

According to the Weather Channel the meteorologists do not know where this storm is heading or its intensity ,hopefully it will be picked by the jet stream and will be pushed out to sea.

Gary

Edited by Shipbound

It's still an "INVEST" Low. This means it's a low pressure system over water that may or may not develop into a tropical depression, if conditions are right. Data isn't too reliable at this stage to accurately model, but despite the NHC cone most models track the center as heading over the far eastern edge of the Bahamas. As of 0600 GMT it was between the British Virgin Islands and Anquilla. Puerto Rico is getting some heavy rains but there's yet any true spin on the storm. Could be a wet return home for some cruisers in the Eastern C. but should stay far away from the US SouthEastern Coast.

As always, keep a watchful eye. Cruise ship captains are doing the same.

Heading out tomorrow for Grand Turk and the Bahamas. Keeping a close eye on things, but not too worried. I need this damn vacation too bad to let some weather interfere!!:mad: :p

I agree-- we are heading to disney World next weekend. Thursday thru monday and most of the weekend is 85 % showers-- im ready

It's still an "INVEST" Low. This means it's a low pressure system over water that may or may not develop into a tropical depression, if conditions are right. Data isn't too reliable at this stage to accurately model, but despite the NHC cone most models track the center as heading over the far eastern edge of the Bahamas. As of 0600 GMT it was between the British Virgin Islands and Anquilla. Puerto Rico is getting some heavy rains but there's yet any true spin on the storm. Could be a wet return home for some cruisers in the Eastern C. but should stay far away from the US SouthEastern Coast.

As always, keep a watchful eye. Cruise ship captains are doing the same.

NHC 8 AM Eastern today:

"...environmental conditions are expected to

be more conducive for development when the disturbance moves near or

over the southeastern Bahamas on Saturday, and a tropical depression

or tropical storm is likely to form over the weekend or by early

next week. Regardless of tropical cyclone formation, gusty winds and

heavy rainfall are expected across portions of the Leeward Islands,

Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands today, and over Hispaniola and

the southeastern Bahamas tonight and Saturday."

At this point, I would suggest keeping a weather eye on it. I would not be fretting about it as the cruise lines will keep us safe and we will go somewhere, not necessarily where we planned to go, but somewhere.

We had an 8 day a few years ago where we only made one of the 4 ports that were scheduled. We still enjoyed ourselves.

Doc

Storm has picked up speed, you can follow it at wuderground dot com. Look for Blogs, then Jeff Master's blog. Comments contain a lot of valuable info, more up to date than the every six hours from NHC or local Mets. Looking at the current situation, for sure 3 day cruises will run into weather heading to Nassau and back.

If what might become a storm continues on the current course and speed, HMC might be questionable tomorrow as well as Nassau on Sunday. I would expect the NHC to begin putting up advisories by the 11pm advisory time or no later than 8am tomorrow morning.

Once those advisories are issued, I believe Carnival will begin to cancel ports or make drastic changes to make sure the ships are out of harm's way.

Edited by Mr305