Possible to get a double without it counting as two drinks?

skali

We are sailing THIS SATURDAY and have only sailed once before (and that was 25 years ago).

Wondering about getting double drinks onboard the Nieuw Amsterdam? Are the cocktails singles? Doubles? Is it possible to get a double without it being rung in as two drinks?

We purchased HAL's Elite Beverage package which allows us drinks up to $15. Given that most cocktails are under $8, we're hoping there's a way to do this without losing too many of our 15 drinks per day.

It's not that we're lushes ;p but we do want to get our money's worth! LOL!

Any tips or suggestions are most welcome!!

We are sailing THIS SATURDAY and have only sailed once before (and that was 25 years ago).

Wondering about getting double drinks onboard the Nieuw Amsterdam? Are the cocktails singles? Doubles? Is it possible to get a double without it being rung in as two drinks?

We purchased HAL's Elite Beverage package which allows us drinks up to $15. Given that most cocktails are under $8, we're hoping there's a way to do this without losing too many of our 15 drinks per day.

Our past experience with the SBP is doubles count as two drinks of the 15 allotted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Elite Pkg is new. It wasn't offered on our cruise in January, but we hope it will be in November. Read the "Terms and Conditions" regarding the Elite Pkg. If it doesn't exempt doubles, most will be under $15.

If they follow the same guideline as SBP a double is counted as two drinks. That's the way they showed up on our final bill - twice the amount 15.90 + 15% with matching credit for that total. To get money's worth perhaps order a "call" liquor in a cocktail that would be over the SBP $9 limit but under the Elite limit and do a double of that.

Even with doubles we had a tough time hitting 7-8 drinks per day but that was over our 6 drink break even point from Explore4 promo..

I was asked once in happy hour if I wanted my drink as a double.

But it counted as your second drink. Depending on when asked (what year), the second drink could have been free, $1 or $2.

Yes, "doubles" counts as two drinks. During Happy Hour, I have no problem requesting doubles when I am ordering the Happy Hour specially priced drinks. I usually order a CC-Sprite and do so because I do not need nor want more Sprite to drink.

If you do this, you may need to make certain that the Steward understands what you wish. I have met Stewards who act as if I am the first guest whom they have served who ever requested such a drink.

The Elite Pkg is new. It wasn't offered on our cruise in January, but we hope it will be in November. Read the "Terms and Conditions" regarding the Elite Pkg. If it doesn't exempt doubles, most will be under $15.

That's an interesting take, but the one time we ordered a double on the EBP, it was rung up as two drinks. It was Bacardi and Coke Zero, which would have been $13.50 at the prevailing prices.

So... I see your point - - and someone owes us a drink.

Just my suggestion: HAL ought to follow the KISS philosophy as to beverage packages, i.e. get rid of them. I have never found them to be of any benefit to me. And, I suspect others would agree as well.

Take whatever the "beverage cost" adds to the cruise price and reduce the price of the cruise! Please!

Just my suggestion: HAL ought to follow the KISS philosophy as to beverage packages, i.e. get rid of them. I have never found them to be of any benefit to me. And, I suspect others would agree as well.

Take whatever the "beverage cost" adds to the cruise price and reduce the price of the cruise! Please!

If you are speaking of the SBP being a "freebee" with the cruise I think I have seen where some have swapped it for a like fare reduction, could be wrong but it's worth a shot?

If you are speaking of the SBP being a "freebee" with the cruise I think I have seen where some have swapped it for a like fare reduction, could be wrong but it's worth a shot?

You can read these boards and get the impression that dropping Explore 4 always makes financial sense. However, on our 7 day Caribbean cruise in December, dropping Explore 4 would have cost us dinner for 2 in the Pinnacle, the SBP and $300 per person suite OBC. Also, it would not have changed the fare. Not at all. Not even after final payment.

Always compare the prices for different options, but don't make assumptions without doing so.

You can read these boards and get the impression that dropping Explore 4 always makes financial sense. However, on our 7 day Caribbean cruise in December, dropping Explore 4 would have cost us dinner for 2 in the Pinnacle, the SBP and $300 per person suite OBC. Also, it would not have changed the fare. Not at all. Not even after final payment.

Always compare the prices for different options, but don't make assumptions without doing so.

Well then in case it's a no brainer!

Why would anyone think that "double" might not mean two of whatever thing was being discussed?

Especially when that thing being discussed is a drink on a cruise ship -- which needs drinks being sold to operate profitably.

The reason the OP is asking is because the Elite Beverage Package covers drinks that cost up to $15. For example, a double Ketel One would be $15. (2 x $7.50 according to the June 2017 menus that Roger Jett posted. Thanks, Roger!)

The OP wants to know if a drink like that would be covered. It's a valid question, because you'd get one drink and it would cost $15, the EBP limit. It's served in a single glass and it's at the limit.

When I order a double, I don't think of it as being two drinks. It's just one.

That's an interesting take, but the one time we ordered a double on the EBP, it was rung up as two drinks. It was Bacardi and Coke Zero, which would have been $13.50 at the prevailing prices.

So... I see your point - - and someone owes us a drink.

We've both proven to be thoughtful consumers of adult beverages, but I didn't consider before my earlier post that they're probably more concerned about liquor liability than the $15 price. Fifteen doubles could be problematic.

We've both proven to be thoughtful consumers of adult beverages, but I didn't consider before my earlier post that they're probably more concerned about liquor liability than the $15 price. Fifteen doubles could be problematic.

We never hit the 15 drink limit, even with 2 bottles of water and an espresso or cappuccino. If the person limits themselves to just the liquor, you'd be talking 45 oz per day. A drink is typically 1.5 oz, so doubles would be 3 oz. By any measure, that's a lot. Like alcohol poisoning lot.

We're considering the SBP. Can someone explain how HAL(or I) keeps track of how many of the 15/day we've each been served? Is it on our receipts?

It is on your room key card, which you have to present whenever you order a beverage.

Thanks. How do I know how many I have left?

You can either keep track or ask your server. While that might not seem ideal, it seems to work fine - at least for us.

No one wants to hear, "Enjoy your lunch. You have three drinks left."

You can either keep track or ask your server. While that might not seem ideal, it seems to work fine - at least for us.

No one wants to hear, "Enjoy your lunch. You have three drinks left."

True, I wouldn't want to hear that.

I'm leaning towards not getting the SBP. Order a bottle for the room, and take advantage of the happy hours.

Can I walk up to any bar and get my glass filled with ice? Are there other places to get ice?

True, I wouldn't want to hear that.

I'm leaning towards not getting the SBP. Order a bottle for the room, and take advantage of the happy hours.

Can I walk up to any bar and get my glass filled with ice? Are there other places to get ice?

Any bar or lounge - or ask your room steward.