RIU offers day pass in Nassau

jlocole

I was looking at what to do in Nassau on our cruise port day and checked with RIU, which is beside Atlantis, if they sold day passes as it's hasn't been mentioned as an option on this board - and it does! It is less than Atlantis and includes all food, drink and activities. And I've read it is a much better property than Breezes.This was their reply to me:

Good afternoon,

Thank you for contacting Riu Hotels & Resorts. The hotel does offer day passes for $100 per person for a 8 hour period.

Kind Regards,

Riu Palace Paradise Island

-------- Original Message --------

Subject: [Fwd: [Fwd: Day pass available?]]

From: Hotel Paradise Island <hotel.paradiseisland@riu.com>

To: PARADISE ISLAND <reception.paradiseisland@riu.com>

Date: 1/30/2010 6:57 PM

I was looking at what to do in Nassau on our cruise port day and checked with RIU, which is beside Atlantis, if they sold day passes as it's hasn't been mentioned as an option on this board - and it does! It is less than Atlantis and includes all food, drink and activities. And I've read it is a much better property than Breezes.This was their reply to me:

Good afternoon,

Thank you for contacting Riu Hotels & Resorts. The hotel does offer day passes for $100 per person for a 8 hour period.

Kind Regards,

Riu Palace Paradise Island

-------- Original Message --------

Subject: [Fwd: [Fwd: Day pass available?]]

From: Hotel Paradise Island <hotel.paradiseisland@riu.com>

To: PARADISE ISLAND <reception.paradiseisland@riu.com>

Date: 1/30/2010 6:57 PM

Yes, this is true, but the RIU hotel is not a great "day pass". Not sure it's worth $100. it's got a small outdated pool, the beach is the same as the "free beach" next door.

If you can eat and drink $100 worth of food/drinks, I guess it would be worth it. But there are no amenities, activities etc at this resort.

It's really just a hotel, not a resort

• 4 weeks later...

I stayed at the RIU for a week in 2007. I'm currently making the transition from a seasoned all-inclusive vacationer to a cruiser (I'm taking my first cruise in April!). I've stayed at many RIU properties and this property does not compare to other RIUs, for anyone who is familiar with the chain. In fact, I think this hotel used to be a Holiday Inn or something before it was a RIU. But with that being said, I did enjoy my stay there. The pool was small but if the property isn't crowded, which it wasn't when I stayed there which was spring break in April, then it was fine. Lots of lounge chairs around the pool, also roof top lounge chairs on the roof which were ALWAYS empty and private. The beach was nice and clean, lots of activities to do right off the beach from parasailing to snorkeling. Food was good, buffet restaurant overlooked the beach and pool. Swim up bar in the pool. I don't know how Breezes is so I can't compare, but RIU is decent!

Thanks for the input! Do you remember if the pool was heated while you were there? How was the water temperature?

We were actually hoping to spend a few days at the RIU in Cancun but haven't been able to find reasonable airfare. So we're cruising instead.

From what I can tell, this RIU was remodeled fairly recently but I don't know if they just upgraded the rooms or anything else. As long as it has a swim-up bar, my husband will be happy.

The pool had heaters but I don't know if they were on when I was there - I was there in April and it was very hot, so the water temperature was comfortable. The pool also had the built in lounge chairs you can lay on that are partially submerged in the water - love those! There was also a jacuzzi. The swim up bar was a good size, bigger than some others I've been to. Have fun!!

Glad to hear the pool is heated at RIU. We were in Nassau last year in early May and the water was still a tad chilly. With the crazy weather this year, who knows what it will be like.

Dragon, what was the pool temp at Breezes? How were the drinks?

• 1 month later...

We did end up spending the day at the RIU. My husband fell in love with Cabbage Beach when we were in Nassau in January and we wanted to check out the hotel for a possible future stay. So I'll answer some of my own questions for others. :)

You can't reserve a day pass in advance so we called the hotel the day before we got there to make sure that they were still available. Since it was Easter weekend, we were afraid that the hotel would be full. We were told that the day passes were available for $100 a person.

We took a taxi to the hotel ($4 a person) and checked in with no problems. The reception desk gave us wrist bands, a map of the property and a towel card. You have to give them a driver's license which they return when you check out.

As Scubagirrl said, the resort is not large, but we really enjoyed our day. We were looking for a relaxing day in a beautiful setting with access to food and drinks, and that's just what we got. There was a Bahamian band playing by the pool in the afternoon. Lunch was a pretty decent buffet. We took a walk along the beach and took advantage of the swim up bar.

The pool area was in the shade until around noon. The pool was heated. The drinks were good. The resort does allow children but I didn't see very many of them. It seems like more of an adult kind of place.

The hotel is on Cabbage beach, which is just gorgeous. The waves were pretty rough but it looked like the kids (and some adults too) were having a good time playing in them. You could rent jet skis. Cabbage Beach is a public beach so you don't need to get a day pass to go there. You just wouldn't have access to the hotel amenities.

Is it worth $100 a person? Probably not to everyone but it was to us and now we're looking forward to going back to stay for a few days.

Archived