April Transatlantic Voyage-What to wear? Hot or Cold?

Beach Belle

Hi all,

New member of this site. Traveling on RC's Independence - April 12th from Ft. Lauderdale to London. Anyone else going on this cruise?

Have been on a dozen cruises, all of them in warm climates. I imagine the North Atlantic will be a mite chilly. Any suggestions on what to bring?

I hope to meet some of you nice people in the future. I've enjoyed reading your comments and you all sound like fun. Being newly retired is great, but not all of my working friends can travel as much as I'd like to. Heck, even I can't travel as much as I'd like to.

On cruises and off, I'm an early riser and like to take a few laps around the track before breakfast. I'm 60, a non-smoker, a casual drinker, neat and thoughtful of others. I will probaly mention my daughter and grand-children, but not my dead ex-husband. (I didn't do it)

I love to meet new people and prefer the early dining timeslot. If I sound compatible (compatable?) please consider me for any future cruises where a roommate is needed. Would like to do the South American 14-day cruise or the Panama Canal later in the year or early next year.

signed - the Newbie,

Beach Belle

We did a transatlantic from San Juan to London last April. We sailed at the very beginning of the month (actually departing at the end of March). We did have some really cold weather.

Since weather is so unpredictable, it's best to pack so that you can dress in layers. We had beautiful weather for the first two days, so that called for shorts, lightweight dresses and capris. But it was bitterly cold when we were in Spain, and there was snow in London when we were in France. I had packed short sleeved tops, a couple of long sleeved tops, a hoodie, a sweater and a trench coat. One day I wore all of the above ... plus I had brought a good sized scarf that could be worn around my neck or wrapped around my head, and gloves. Thank God I had gloves or I would have been miserable.

There were many women who brought only capri pants and lightweight jackets. They really couldn't enjoy the port days, so my suggestion is to bring things that can go for all weather ... but bring a good jacket, gloves and a hat or scarf. If you don't need them, great! But if it is cold then you'll be in better shape than most of your fellow passengers. I personally would rather bring more clothes and be comfortable.

In spite of the cold weather and rough seas, it was a fantastic cruise and we would do it again in a heartbeat! I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time and will meet some nice people. Be sure to go to the Roll Call board to meet some of your fellow pax.

The UK weather in April is unpredictable, but snow is unlikely. London is usually a degree or two warmer than the rest of the UK. However I see you're from FL and therefore used to all that wonderful sunshine that us Brits can only dream of. What I would class as a lovely sunny day in England could be freezing cold for someone from a warmer climate. :)

As Water*Baby suggested, bring a range of warm clothing. Layering is the key. If you are limited with baggage weight, pack a polo neck sweater which will eliminate the need for a scarf. By wearing a tee shirt underneath you will be able to wear the sweater more than once. A pashmina shawl can double as a wrap for formal nights and can be used to keep you warm in London as a scarf or as a shawl. Pack socks and a pair of gloves which can be tucked away in pairs of shoes when packing. Tights can be worn under trousers for extra warmth if necessary and won't take up any room or weight in your luggage. Bring a warm jacket if you have one or a fleece jacket. You can always wear it on the flight home if it's too heavy for your luggage.

Carol

Archived