Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Norwegian Cruise Line

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Norwegian Cruise Line
Read thousands of Norwegian Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Norwegian Cruise Deals

How to Set Up a Meet & Mingle on Your NCL Cruise

NEW! Find Your NORWEGIAN Roll Call

Old April 24th, 2012, 03:30 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default NCL Weight Limit for Baggage?

I noticed that my booklet from NCL for our soon departing cruise mentions that NCL has a 50lb. weight limit per bag and also advises that passengers check with their airlines for any other restrictions if they are flying.

Do they really weigh them? Is this something we really need to be careful about or pay a penalty? This is our first cruise, but no one that I know that has cruised before has ever heard of a weight limit for the bags. I'm upset because we are taking the train, and I don't want to have to carry extra baggage to avoid paying extra fees.

TIA!
Nicki

Old April 24th, 2012, 03:31 PM
5,000+ Club

there no weight limit for baggage

Norwegian Breakaway - 2014; Carnival Splendor - 2014;Carnival Splendor - 2013; Norwegian Gem - 2012; Carnival Glory - 2010; Carnival Miracle - 2009

Old April 24th, 2012, 03:52 PM
10,000+ Club

Yes, there is an official weight limit of 50lbs per bag, with a 2-bag limit per passenger. However, it is NEVER enforced. If you're over by a couple pounds, absolutely nothing will happen. All that said, you should try your best to respect the rule because it's there mainly to protect the workers who handle the bags. Anything over 50lbs is considered enough to possibly injure a worker. You're better off with an extra bag than an extremely overweight bag since the 2-bag limit is not enforced.

Old April 24th, 2012, 04:04 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnql View Post
Yes, there is an official weight limit of 50lbs per bag, with a 2-bag limit per passenger. However, it is NEVER enforced. If you're over by a couple pounds, absolutely nothing will happen. All that said, you should try your best to respect the rule because it's there mainly to protect the workers who handle the bags. Anything over 50lbs is considered enough to possibly injure a worker. You're better off with an extra bag than an extremely overweight bag since the 2-bag limit is not enforced.
You are correct I totally agree with you.

Old April 24th, 2012, 05:56 PM
Cool Cruiser

When I fly, my bags usually come in around 60-70 lbs. Only once did I have an issue with an overweight bag because I purchased a large serving platter as a souvenir. Just had to move it to my carry on and all was well. Really don't want to drag 4-6 bags through the train stations.

Old April 24th, 2012, 10:49 PM
10,000+ Club

Just my opinion, but I think that if you're bringing over 100lbs of baggage per person onto a cruise ship, you're over-packing. Especially since we're talking about NCL's Freestyle cruising, where formal clothes are very much optional.

Old April 25th, 2012, 07:19 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Just my opinion, but I think that if you're bringing over 100lbs of baggage per person onto a cruise ship, you're over-packing. Especially since we're talking about NCL's Freestyle cruising, where formal clothes are very much optional.
Yea, but all those bottles of booze weight it down.
NCL Spirit New Orleans 11/25/07...................NCL Spirit New England 9/30/07....................NCL Spirit -NYC , 9/29/07
NCL Sun from New Orleans 3/25/07... ........NCL Jewel Barcelona-Miami 10/21/06..........QM2 from New York to England 4/15/06
Alaska via Princess Dawn 5/30/05...................Seabourn Pride:NY-FL-Nassau, 10/17/04....Alaska via Carnival Spirit 6/2/04

Old April 25th, 2012, 08:32 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Just my opinion, but I think that if you're bringing over 100lbs of baggage per person onto a cruise ship, you're over-packing.

You know what? You're right! Our usual 75lb. bag is for BOTH of us, and then we have a small carry on, but we were planning on packing separate bags for this trip, each one pulling one suitcase along. Thank you for helping put this in perspective!!

Old April 25th, 2012, 08:34 AM
5,000+ Club

Some airlines really nail you if your bag weighs more than 50 lbs.

Old April 25th, 2012, 09:02 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

As others said, I think it is more for consideration of the persons that have to handle it. Over 50 lbs (or even 50 lbs) is pretty heavy, especially for some of the smaller room stewards (guys and gals) that will deliver them to your room for you.