Marseille Provence Specifically?

anniversay/grad trip

I have posted a couple of times, this question asked in different ways but, I specifically would like to hear from someone who has been there done that. We are in Marseille in October and this is the final stop on our 7 day cruise. We have a very intense itinerary and would like to spend this, our last day before going back to reality, doing something on our own. The thought is (please tell me if this is do-able) is to walk off the ship and meander around, find a quiet seaside cafe, experience some local wine, cheeses, breads and relax. Perhaps browse through a few shops for french soaps to take home. Has anyone done this? Do we have to take some form of transportation from the where we dock? Please tell me what you did in Marseille....with thanks....

I haven't done this cruise but I do live in Marseille. You won't find much of what you're looking for in the immediate area round the cruise terminals. But take a cruise shuttle or taxi to the Old Port - it's a fairly short ride, though not really walkable - and you will find restaurants, shops and cafes galore in a lovely setting.

• 3 weeks later...
I haven't done this cruise but I do live in Marseille. You won't find much of what you're looking for in the immediate area round the cruise terminals. But take a cruise shuttle or taxi to the Old Port - it's a fairly short ride, though not really walkable - and you will find restaurants, shops and cafes galore in a lovely setting.

Hello! I see that you live in Marseille. I was wondering where the best place is to have lunch is around the old port. We are looking for some type of seafood or local cuisine around 10 - 15 euros per person. It does not have to be fancy, just delicious. Thanks in advance!

I have quite a few favourite spots around the Old Port, although you will have to pay extra if you want to eat right on the harbour itself. But there are some very nice places around the Old Town. I ate at Vinomeo on Saturday, which was excellent, and also like Cafe des Epices and La Virgule. All three of these are at the bottom of the Old Town, just a few yards from the Old Port. More about them: http://www.marseille-provence.info/marseille-marseilles/practical-information-travel-food-climate/24-marseille-the-best-restaurants.html

Locals seem to like Chez Madie les Galinettes, on the harbour front, but it's a bit pricier. I haven't tried it myself yet.

If you are in MRS during the week, you may be able to get a prix fixe (set lunch) for your budgeted amount - these are always the best value. They aren't always available at weekends, though.

Archived