San Pedro area - places to see/eat, must eat places where locals go....

2010_cruisers

We are foodies, adventure eaters, and think a good meal is sometimes worth a cities attraction (as much of anything else it can offer).

Since we may only have less than 2 hrs to eat and head back to LAX...we are wondering what to do when we get off the ship??

I recentlky heard that in/out burger is fairly close to the san Predro pier...is it worth eating at..or is are some even better places.choices (not so toursity) ones that the locals love/like...............

We are open to most foods, especially American Diners...so, if anyone has some thoughts on this please let us know.

PS If we grab a cab...would they take to one of these places, and is it then easy to get back on track and head back to LAX....

Please inform...thank you....

Eat breakfast in the dining room on the ship before you disembark. Much more civilized than the buffet, and you won't have to rush. While there are a few good places to eat breakfast in San Pedro, I would not think it would be worth lugging your suitcases on and off cabs and then trying to get transportation from a restaurant to the airport in a timely manner.

In n Our Burger is on Western, about two miles form the pier. It's just south of Trudi Drive/Capital Drive.

1090 N. WESTERN AVE.

SAN PEDRO, CA 90732

1-800-786-1000

There's also one in Torrance and one in Carson City, which are both pretty much on your way to the peir.

Enjoy whatever you decide on !

Since you are hailing a cab I would say do one of two things. Go through the drive-thru at In-and-Out Burger OR, if you want to go where the locals go, have the cabbie take you to Busy Bee on Walker and 24th street (about two miles from the pier) Best sandwiches in town!! Meatball, sausage, turkey dip, beef dip as well as a variety of cold sandwiches. No dining room so you'll have to eat in the car so get plenty of napkins!!

Or, if pizza is more to your liking go to Pavich's on Alma between 24th and 23rd streets. Thin crust, brick-oven Croatian pizza!! YUMMY!!! Another local favorite. They have two tables outside on the sidewalk but it's a mostly a "take-out" type of joint.

Sometimes after a cruise a good ol' hamburger sounds so good. I love cruise food but the thought of a big meal is not appealing. So drive In n Out on way to LAX is a fun idea. Be sure and get a milkshake and their yummy fries.

Question....although we are strangers...it would ne nice to meet soomone at LAX instead of soem shuttle service that will take an horu ro more or who knows...anyways....

You sound cool, you know San Predo, you are the super-local - know the food and the port....could we meet you at LAX...and pay you to get us to the ship..............maybe....what are you doing a month from here...?

Regardless, thanks again for your input.....

:)

I'm guessing Wineaux is busy...he's got a business to run...

Now, if you want to meet Wineaux and would like to sample a little vino instead of eating a burger, well...

Another shot if you want...

Wait...let me get this straight...This is the day you DISEMBARK in Pedro? When is your flight out? If it's LAX, you may not have as much time as you think...

But...andyway, what I was going to say is...if you want to sample In'n'Out, you may want to do it this way...eat breakfast on the ship...then do whatever you have time for, and eventually grab a cab and head to LAX...and...just before being dropped off at the terminal, have the cabbie make a quick stop at In'n'Out on Sepulveda--right outside of LAX (just north of the terminals!!! You can grab some burgers then have him drop you, food and all, at the terminal...If you've got lots of time, you can actually just grab a taxi or shuttle right to LAX, drop your luggage, check in, then get a very short Cab ride to In'n'Out...or just sneak onto a Parking Garage free shuttle heading for the "Parking Spot" on Sepulveda (not the one on Century)...It's right next to In'n'Out...

The whole point of ALL y questions..is to make this one heck of trip for my son - who bday it will be...and it maye be one of our very last father-son trips (you know). Darn teenagers.......love em but they do not want to hang with their dad...anymore.....plus, he does not live with me...so I was hoping to make the most this srping break - bday bash....and all.

Anyways, we in fact leave for our departure flight - just shy of 2PM....so, if we disembark at 9 or even 10 we got some time.....

BTW - kinda loving the whoe in.out burger thing....more and more...I better save up some taxi cab fair....those shuttle will not help once you are away from the....Cruise terminal, right?

The whole point of ALL y questions..is to make this one heck of trip for my son - who bday it will be...and it maye be one of our very last father-son trips (you know). Darn teenagers.......love em but they do not want to hang with their dad...anymore.....plus, he does not live with me...so I was hoping to make the most this srping break - bday bash....and all.

Anyways, we in fact leave for our departure flight - just shy of 2PM....so, if we disembark at 9 or even 10 we got some time.....

BTW - kinda loving the whoe in.out burger thing....more and more...I better save up some taxi cab fair....those shuttle will not help once you are away from the....Cruise terminal, right?

Here's the logistical problem...

If your flight leaves at 2 pm, it's recommended being at LAX by noon...So, you are really only looking at having about 2 hours to kill...and you have your luggage with you...

Taxis are not easy to find in LA...unless you are at the airport or at a MAJOR hotel, you'll need to call ahead for one...They just don't roam the streets here...

So, rather than kicking around San Pedro and dragging luggage with you, you may want to head right to LAX (I'm not sure how early they let you check luggage, but I assume you will be okay) and check your luggage and get your boarding passes (but don't go through security to the gate)...Then, depending on how much time you have...when you got off the ship and how quickly tou made it to LAX and checked in...You can figure out exactly how much time you have to kill...Remember, with your luggage checked and boarding passes in hand, you no longer need that 2 hours, though I'd still try to get back to LA no later than 1 pm...Let's say you've gotten to this point and it's just 10:00 am...You can grab a cab and head up to Venice Beach, for example...Walk along the Boardwalk...Maybe head for a brunch at C&O Trattoria on Washington right next to the beach...or, save it for In'n'out if that appeals to you...Keep the cab co's telephone number handy so they can come get you when you need a ride back to LAX...If you haven't eaten and have a little extra time left, have the cabbie stop at In'n'Out on Sepulveda and wait for you while you pick up the burgers...then drop you back at the Terminal (it's really close)...and eat the burgers there before boarding the plane...

Archived