Oriana still for sale

majortom10

Just out of interest I checked on one cruise ship selling website and found it had 2 Millenium class ships listed one at $350m the other at $400m, currently all 5 M class ships are still in the Celebrity fleet.

An RCI Vision Class, like the 2 recently purchased by TUI as Discovery ships, and only one is still in service with RC I.

2 HAL S or R class ships, one in Australia where P&O Australia have only recently taken delivery of 2 or 3 old HAL ships.

And an Adonia type R ship for sale in the USA, where Princess, Oceania and Azamara are the only owners, but no sign of Oriana.

At the top end of this market as above, there is only a limited market of buyers and sellers, a lot of which have links with each other so why the need to advertise when older ships from the major lines can be recycled downward to other subsidiaries or joint ventures like the RCI/TUI arrangement.

Of course there are Independents, who might prefer the initial anonymity that agents would provide, which might be why we see ships on these sites; and it does seem unlikely that these agents would continue showing these ships for sale, if they were never able to make any commission from sales.

So my conclusion is that there must be some sort of arrangement between these agents and the major cruise ship companies, whereby these adverts for their older ships are listed to assess whether there might be an advantageous independent sale.

Just out of interest I checked on one cruise ship selling website and found it had 2 Millenium class ships listed one at $350m the other at $400m, currently all 5 M class ships are still in the Celebrity fleet.

An RCI Vision Class, like the 2 recently purchased by TUI as Discovery ships, and only one is still in service with RC I.

2 HAL S or R class ships, one in Australia where P&O Australia have only recently taken delivery of 2 or 3 old HAL ships.

And an Adonia type R ship for sale in the USA, where Princess, Oceania and Azamara are the only owners, but no sign of Oriana.

At the top end of this market as above, there is only a limited market of buyers and sellers, a lot of which have links with each other so why the need to advertise when older ships from the major lines can be recycled downward to other subsidiaries or joint ventures like the RCI/TUI arrangement.

Of course there are Independents, who might prefer the initial anonymity that agents would provide, which might be why we see ships on these sites; and it does seem unlikely that these agents would continue showing these ships for sale, if they were never able to make any commission from sales.

So my conclusion is that there must be some sort of arrangement between these agents and the major cruise ship companies, whereby these adverts for their older ships are listed to assess whether there might be an advantageous independent sale.

Or Annie could be correct.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Or Annie could be correct.

Dai, anything is possible in this make believe world of ours, BUT I think that if the cruise lines did not get some benefits from these adverts, then they would be seeking ways to shut the sights down, or at the very least highlight their displeasure.

Dai, anything is possible in this make believe world of ours, BUT I think that if the cruise lines did not get some benefits from these adverts, then they would be seeking ways to shut the sights down, or at the very least highlight their displeasure.

They may have done.

Whatever this is all speculation. You do not have a major refit and then sell the ship on with no replacement.

2021. Still my best guess and then move the ship to China. :)

Or P & O Australia to replace Pacific Pearl bought by CMV which will be sailing as Colombus this summer That sale took place fairly quickly!!

Have they not done that already. Carnival ships?

They may have done.

Whatever this is all speculation. You do not have a major refit and then sell the ship on with no replacement.

2021. Still my best guess and then move the ship to China. :)

I don't believe it would be China as there are to many new builds already out there . If p&o are to base a ship there I would have thought it would have to be a new build or one of their newer ships .

I don't believe it would be China as there are to many new builds already out there . If p&o are to base a ship there I would have thought it would have to be a new build or one of their newer ships .

:) neither do I. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Don't worry any minute now Dai B will be along to point out how wrong you are just as he did to me when I said Adonia was up for sale. After it was sold I suggested he apologise but surprise surprise it didn't happen!!!

Peter

I am really not sure why you have resurrected this thread. We have already established that brokers take a punt on saying a ship is for sale when it isn't.

Correct.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Although I stick to my estimate of 2021/2022 to fit in with the general refit spacing. And then we will have a nice new one to replace it.

I thought it was a fairly non controversial statement. Cos every one loves a new ship.

Sorry Dai but have to disagree with you there. There will be plenty of people who will not love a new ship that is 180,000 tons and takes over 5200 pax. Apparently when the announcement was made about this aboard Aurora (currently sailing around South America) it was roundly greeted with boos and hissing!

Sorry Dai but have to disagree with you there. There will be plenty of people who will not love a new ship that is 180,000 tons and takes over 5200 pax. Apparently when the announcement was made about this aboard Aurora (currently sailing around South America) it was roundly greeted with boos and hissing!

My post before was made with tongue in cheek.

As it happens we were discussing this on Ventura and each new ship is not liked by some people apparently Oriana was dismissed as being far too big.

Bring both of the big ones on, for me.

My post before was made with tongue in cheek.

As it happens we were discussing this on Ventura and each new ship is not liked by some people apparently Oriana was dismissed as being far too big.

Bring both of the big ones on, for me.

Glad to hear it was tongue in cheek Dai and that you accept some of us don't like mega-ships :).

Edited by Britboys
typo

If the medium ships go, then that's goodbye to P&O for us I'm afraid. Arcadia is the biggest we would go on. Didn;t like Azura at all.

Couldn't agree more Jean. I might try a weekender on Britannia at some point just to see her but wouldn't want to do a longer cruise.