Is Pike Place Market crowded on Sunday?

Tinknock50

The rule of thumb with the market during the cruise season is that the best time to visit is as early in the day that you can, ideally for an early breakfast. Try to be gone by 10:30 or 11 at the latest; after which it becomes gridlocked.

The rule of thumb with the market during the cruise season is that the best time to visit is as early in the day that you can, ideally for an early breakfast. Try to be gone by 10:30 or 11 at the latest; after which it becomes gridlocked.
We would just be passing through there at noon, so we will avoid it. We will probably just go down Bell because it appears the most gradual hill than most streets, slightly better than Lenora.

It might have changed since we were last there but if I recall correctly there was a spot where to use the elevators there was a fairly steep ramp from main (street) level of the market down to a lower level where the elevator was. Sort of sticks in memory due to holding my wife's chair back while going down it. Not long but sort of steep. If just passing through then crowds won't be problem - just a slow down. If I might ask - is using the elevators to get down to water level related to getting to Oosterdam? Or will you have already dropped off luggage at the pier then gone back to downtown and the market?

It might have changed since we were last there but if I recall correctly there was a spot where to use the elevators there was a fairly steep ramp from main (street) level of the market down to a lower level where the elevator was. Sort of sticks in memory due to holding my wife's chair back while going down it. Not long but sort of steep. If just passing through then crowds won't be problem - just a slow down. If I might ask - is using the elevators to get down to water level related to getting to Oosterdam? Or will you have already dropped off luggage at the pier then gone back to downtown and the market?

I think that was Pine you went down. On our last visit, we discovered that one block over on Pike it was very gradual and not a problem. I think we will just avoid the crowds and head for Ball. We would be backtracking to get to Pike from our Hotel (on Virginia and Fourth Avenue) anyway.

This would be when we would be heading for our cruise. It is about 3 miles and should take us an hour to get to Pier 91. I have walked to the that pier before and enjoyed it. We have a patient lift on which all our luggage fits. I was only asking about steepness because it does take effort only when holding back from rolling too fast downhill.

I think that was Pine you went down. On our last visit, we discovered that one block over on Pike it was very gradual and not a problem. I think we will just avoid the crowds and head for Ball. We would be backtracking to get to Pike from our Hotel (on Virginia and Fourth Avenue) anyway.

This would be when we would be heading for our cruise. It is about 3 miles and should take us an hour to get to Pier 91. I have walked to the that pier before and enjoyed it. We have a patient lift on which all our luggage fits. I was only asking about steepness because it does take effort only when holding back from rolling too fast downhill.

Changed my mind again. I think we will brave the crowds in Pike Place and take Pike all the way down from Fourth Ave and use the elevators because it has the most gradual decline of streets in that area and anything North from there.

Is this true after Labor Day? We disembark on 9/9 but spending a few days in Seattle post-cruise.

A little less busy BUT... that part of September is still in the Seattle "nice" weeks with typically dry/sunny weather so people are still out enjoying it. Still cruise season too. That's a Saturday so at least no direct competition with Seahawks game day fans that day but if they happen to open at home on the 10th there could be extra people in town for the weekend and Sunday could be real busy. 2017 schedule is not out yet.

If we enter through that door in line with Pike Street (by the piggy bank), will my friend be able to access the elevator down to Western? I know there is another elevator mid market, but the former one avoids a longer trek through the crowds and bumpy bricks.

If we enter through that door in line with Pike Street (by the piggy bank), will my friend be able to access the elevator down to Western? I know there is another elevator mid market, but the former one avoids a longer trek through the crowds and bumpy bricks.

I'm going a bit on memory here, but you want the skybridge over to the parking garage, which hits the main market arcade around the beginning of the low stalls, north of Lowell's a little distance, so you'll have to brave the crowds inside the market or bump along the bricks. Once over the bridge the elevator in the garage goes all the way down to the Alaskan Way street level, although you have to walk a little distance from the garage entrance out to the streets below the Viaduct.

From Western Avenue - https://goo.gl/maps/RY4j6MKhr5J2

From the waterfront level - https://goo.gl/maps/Fx4nbsCmQGU2

I'm going a bit on memory here, but you want the skybridge over to the parking garage, which hits the main market arcade around the beginning of the low stalls, north of Lowell's a little distance, so you'll have to brave the crowds inside the market or bump along the bricks. Once over the bridge the elevator in the garage goes all the way down to the Alaskan Way street level, although you have to walk a little distance from the garage entrance out to the streets below the Viaduct.

From Western Avenue - https://goo.gl/maps/RY4j6MKhr5J2

From the waterfront level - https://goo.gl/maps/Fx4nbsCmQGU2

Yes, that is exactly what I did last time. Here is a link that shows the Western entrance to the one that goes down to the waterfront. https://www.google.com/maps/@47.6088467,-122.3416042,3a,75y,208.62h,79.42t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s_e_hjYlszlhMwrL2PqaZsw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

I thought I saw an elevator opening on Western that is below the section of the Market by the piggy bank. That would be a good crowd avoiding choice if that is possible. The search goes on.

There seems to be an elevator through a hall way at the bottom of this ramp to the Market theater. Does anyone know if this elevator goes down to Western Avenue?

https://www.google.com/maps/@47.608719,-122.3401939,3a,75y,256.59h,88.59t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sO0IXPFLMQ9bNTVRab2cYdw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1?hl=en

There seems to be an elevator through a hall way at the bottom of this ramp to the Market theater. Does anyone know if this elevator goes down to Western Avenue?

https://www.google.com/maps/@47.608719,-122.3401939,3a,75y,256.59h,88.59t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sO0IXPFLMQ9bNTVRab2cYdw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1?hl=en

This could be the elevator on Western from the Market theater? https://www.google.com/maps/@47.6084284,-122.3413228,3a,30y,50.08h,92.86t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sMkA0DeOSw49TFVB-2j_9wQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?rapsrc=lu_reveal&hl=en

I think so, but do you want to get to Western or to the waterfront?

The waterfront ultimately , but I want the shortest, least crowded way, to get to Western first. Once we are on Western I will go the same way I did other times, which was easy from there.

I just hope there isn't a long wait to get the elevator.

Edited by Tinknock50