About how many weeks of clothing to bring?

Gail & Marty sailing away

Marty, for underwear I would bring seven to ten days just to be on the safe side.

For other items think through where you are sailing in terms of climate and whether or not you will get bored. As to the latter, if you are on the ship for along time often you start to get bored with what you are wearing so we would take a little more rather than less.

As to climate think through what you might need based on warm and cold climates and also if some places are very hot if you will need to change during the day because of the outside temperature.

Keith

I do mostly mix and match clothing so I don't get tired of one particular outfit too quickly. I would say take at least enough for two weeks.

Due to fluctuations in temperature (it was 32 when we were in New York and over 100 in Dubai), I bring clothes to layer rather than bulky, warm clothes. I chose an LL Bean coat that had a zippered fleece lining. Without the lining it made a great raincoat or one to keep the breeze off. With the lining, it kept me warm when it was in the 30s and 40s.

We are going on Holland World Cruise. We get free laundry but still wondering how much to bring Like socks' date=' under wear, shirts, pants, thanks Marty[/quote']

Hi Marty,

We’ll be on the cruise with you.

I start out with about 5 days worth of short sleeve golf shirts, a couple of long sleeved golf shirts, a polar fleece vest, a polar fleece long sleeved cardigan and a light weight wind proof jacket under which all of the previous can be worn (together if necessary.) I have found that this complement is good for me down to around 20 degrees F and if the temperature is lower than that, I’m staying on the ship with a hot chocolate and a good book.

But I like to collect short sleeved golf shirts from exotic locations, so I usually end the cruise with between 10 and 15 shirts (containing logos from places such as Nuku Hiva, Rarotonga, Waitangi, Mooloolaba, Borobudur, Sihanoukville, Hambantota, Salalah, Katakolon, etc.)

I also bring about ten days worth of underwear and socks, figuring to send in laundry once a week and allow an extra day if it occasionally gets held up for an extra day or two.

In a slightly different vein, may I suggest you post this message on the Holland American Roll Call for the 2016 World Cruise as follows; http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2036117

Look forward to seeing you on board the Amsterdam next month.

Scott & Karen

My only clothing faux pas on longer O WC was not bringing a variety of sizes. Maybe 6 weeks out some of my tops and bottoms were unwearable. I wear 6-8 so next time will bring 8-10s and maybe a few 12s. I need to collect shorts, capris, skirts and a few slacks in black, white and beige. hopefully, non iron.

• 2 weeks later...

To me the two things that make the WC more of a packing challenge versus just a 30 day cruise is the variety of climates and the theme nights. On the HAL 2017 WC we will be in the warm South Pacific as well as China and Japan during February when temps may not get out of the 30's.

I continue to be curious on participation (and how far people go) in the theme nights. I think there are 8 or 9 on our WC. I am still figuring out what to take for those.

My wife and I can pretty much go on any trip for 30 days or more with one medium suitcase and one carry on apiece, we have done so for years but not so on our WC. We are going to double down and take two suitcases apiece. In fact, I think we will drive to the port in order to be able to take what we want. Who knows, I might even bring some wine:p.

To me the two things that make the WC more of a packing challenge versus just a 30 day cruise is the variety of climates and the theme nights. On the HAL 2017 WC we will be in the warm South Pacific as well as China and Japan during February when temps may not get out of the 30's.

I continue to be curious on participation (and how far people go) in the theme nights. I think there are 8 or 9 on our WC. I am still figuring out what to take for those.

My wife and I can pretty much go on any trip for 30 days or more with one medium suitcase and one carry on apiece, we have done so for years but not so on our WC. We are going to double down and take two suitcases apiece. In fact, I think we will drive to the port in order to be able to take what we want. Who knows, I might even bring some wine:p.

We just did 34 days where daily high temps ranged from 4 (Dunedin) to 37 (Bali) all degrees c.

We took one bag each and a carry on each, but mainly took clothes that could be worn in layers.

I continue to be curious on participation (and how far people go) in the theme nights. I think there are 8 or 9 on our WC. I am still figuring out what to take for those.p.

Hi Kirk: Would guess that maybe 1/2 the passengers really 'dress the theme'; some go over the top, some are more laid back and some don't care all that much. We will have a Hawaiian theme night, so my flowered blouse, which I will bring anyway, will be worn for that dinner. There is usually a white ball and I have no white dressy outfit and do not want to buy one so I will be the one in the black skirt and sparkly top. Wear what you want and enjoy the evening.

Marty: I do about 2 weeks of necessities and do bring too many clothes as get bored. I stick to the basic colors: black and white skirts or pants for dinner with the occasional beige but lots of different tops. This works for both formal and casual dinners.

Edited by take us away

Hi Kirk: Would guess that maybe 1/2 the passengers really 'dress the theme'; some go over the top, some are more laid back and some don't care all that much. We will have a Hawaiian theme night, so my flowered blouse, which I will bring anyway, will be worn for that dinner. There is usually a white ball and I have no white dressy outfit and do not want to buy one so I will be the one in the black skirt and sparkly top. Wear what you want and enjoy the evening.

Marty: I do about 2 weeks of necessities and do bring too many clothes as get bored. I stick to the basic colors: black and white skirts or pants for dinner with the occasional beige but lots of different tops. This works for both formal and casual dinners.

Thanks, I think we will do the best we can without having to go over the top with clothes. The white night was one I knew we won't do as i don't own nor want to own any white pants!

Is it fair to assume that you get higher participation in formal nights? Now that HAL has switched to Gala Nights I may quit bringing my tux but on a WC I would still bring one.

Edited by KirkNC

I wanted to add that for a couple doing a 100+ day world cruise the average number of bags will be around six to seven per couple from our experience and we have taken several of these voyages. In our case we take a bit more and take 8 bags on average.

Can you take less? Yes.

Factors that come into play include how much toiletries you take in advance. We take an entire bag. Other items you might take that are not clothing related. We bring things such as a collapsable hamper, plastic hangers, wire hangers, photo magnetic frames, portable fan, etc.

Other factors include climate such as if the itinerary includes cold and hot weather.

The formality of the cruise in terms of formal attire.

You. We are all different. Some people are quite content to not take a lot of different outfits. Others such as ourselves get bored.

And consider gifts you might buy and other purchases. I have known many people who have had to buy another suitcase or more to get all of their purchases home and several are people who swore up and down they wouldn't buy much.

In our case, we can use the bag that we dedicated pretty much to toiletries for gifts/other purchases.

Keith

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Definitely 2 pairs of swimmers /sunscreen/hat

2 Sarongs

And anything that fits into no more than 2 bags pp - lots of mix and match, a couple of non ott formal type clothing mixes, a couple of cooler outfits that mix n match - one good jacket and one good vest that can be mixed with long sleeve tops for cold/rainy days

Real question is - how many $$$$ to take lol

• 3 months later...