Avoid Bermuda in June 2017?

Mickfarland4

Would you avoid cruising to Bermuda in June 2017 during the America's Cup? We've never been there and I and the kids have never been on a cruise. NCL has what looks like a good promotion for us, but, it is during the race and I'm confused as to how crowded they predict it'll be and how it would affect our trip. Thank you!

• 1 month later...

I'd be ecstatic to go during a world class event that very few get to attend - you have GREAT seats right on your cruise ship.

If the crowds are too overwhelming, you can always stay on board your ship - Bermudians cannot board with you - so you are not forced into any crowding.

Sounds like a win to me...

We are going June 11. The only week we could work out with busy schedules. Looking forward to all the activity. Even though the Americas Cup boats won't be racing that week,I'm sure there will be lots of other things going on.Would have loved to go the following week to see the finals but couldn't make it work for both of us.

Laura

• 2 weeks later...

We will be on the NCL Dawn out of Boston on June 2 and we are exited to see these beautiful ships. For more information on the race try here: https://www.americascup.com/en/racecourse.html

There is an entire Village being created in the Naval Dockyards, but it is not right next to the docks where we will be for 2 1/2 days. If you take the ferry to Hamilton you will go along side the "race course" and you may see some practice runs if you are not there on a race day.

Yes there will be many more people milling around, shopping and on the beaches for sure, but we think it will just add to the experience!

Cindi

We will be on the NCL Dawn out of Boston on June 2 and we are exited to see these beautiful ships. For more information on the race try here: https://www.americascup.com/en/racecourse.html

There is an entire Village being created in the Naval Dockyards, but it is not right next to the docks where we will be for 2 1/2 days. If you take the ferry to Hamilton you will go along side the "race course" and you may see some practice runs if you are not there on a race day.

Yes there will be many more people milling around, shopping and on the beaches for sure, but we think it will just add to the experience!

Cindi

To each their own. I saw the boats last summer and was excited for about two minutes. The Village is next to the Kings Wharf dock at the Dockyard and I saw several practice runs from the aft of the Summit. Somewhat boring. Took the picture below from Summit. The hoopla about the race will likely be much more interesting than the race itself. I think those who are interested in the races will have a great time. It is also good for Bermuda to have the America's Cup there.

I decided to pass on Bermuda this year as I don't want to chance the crowds interfering with my Bermuda routines. Instead I will be cruising out of Southampton UK.

79306a5979304e9a26be15ff7b057acd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We booked our Bermuda cruise on Celebrity Summit before we knew about the Americas Cup. We had to make our final payment by last night. We were and still are concerned about the additional crowds but payed in full yesterday anyway. Does anyone know if they will have additional ferries in June?

And does anyone know how we would get from where Celebrity docks to the America Cup village? Celebrity is offering it as an excursion.

We booked our Bermuda cruise on Celebrity Summit before we knew about the Americas Cup. We had to make our final payment by last night. We were and still are concerned about the additional crowds but payed in full yesterday anyway. Does anyone know if they will have additional ferries in June?

And does anyone know how we would get from where Celebrity docks to the America Cup village? Celebrity is offering it as an excursion.

The America's Cup village is at the Dockyard. Behind where the Summit docks but I think access to the village will be at the entrance to the Dockyard from what I saw them building last year. So it may not be a direct route from the dock. So close but so far....

Information on the ferry schedule has not been released yet. I would guess not the normal summer schedule during May and June. But that is just a guess. The tendency is for that kind of information to be released last minute. Also there may an additional ferry terminal in the America's Cup Village.

We booked our Bermuda ........

Here is a ‘video flythrough’ showing a simulation of what the racecourse and the America’s Cup Village will look like -

at the 26-28 seconds of the video, you will get a good perspective of where the cruise ship docks to the America's Cup Village
It is about a 20 minute walk; the distance is just less than a mile. You don't need an excursion for that.

ACV.jpg

SBtS

• 3 weeks later...

I've read little conversation about how it will impact ruisers on Veendam docked in Hamiltron. this is only about ships at dockyard. Aside from resraurant sbe ing packed full, i wonder how guests on Veendam will experience Ameica's Cup vs. those at Dockyard.

I worry about the water taxis being full. Since I have been there before I had hoped to be able to use the water transit instead of booking excursions but am afraid we will not be able to get in to town for Harbor Nights celebration without reserved excursion.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I worry about the water taxis being full. Since I have been there before I had hoped to be able to use the water transit instead of booking excursions but am afraid we will not be able to get in to town for Harbor Nights celebration without reserved excursion.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I see you are on Breakaway 6/11/17. NCL is negotiating to lease a large ferry which would alleviate congestion. With or without that ferry I don't see the Cup impacting getting to Hamilton and back for Harbour Nights since the number of cruise ship passengers who would be the primary users of ferries between Dockyard to Hamilton will probably be about the same as usual. My concerns during the Cup would be on road transit to beaches and such and crowds at the Dockyard during Cup events. Harbour Nights that week is likely to be large with the Cup and with Veendam docked on Front Street in Hamilton.

We are cruising to Bermuda this June and looking forward tothe additional activities. Getting around shouldn’t be that much different fromnormal. Buses and ferries will probablybe more crowded in some areas but the roads should be about the same since you can’trent a car in Bermuda. The areas aroundthe race events will probably be more crowded then normal but not the rest ofthe island. Bermuda hotels are veryexpensive and they do not have a large stock of hotel rooms, so there probably won’tbe a huge influx of people. An America’sCup World Series event in 2015 only brought an additional 1500 people,including the teams and media, to the island. That’s less than half of a smaller cruise ship.

We are cruising to Bermuda this June and looking forward tothe additional activities. Getting around shouldn’t be that much different fromnormal. Buses and ferries will probablybe more crowded in some areas but the roads should be about the same since you can’trent a car in Bermuda. The areas aroundthe race events will probably be more crowded then normal but not the rest ofthe island. Bermuda hotels are veryexpensive and they do not have a large stock of hotel rooms, so there probably won’tbe a huge influx of people. An America’sCup World Series event in 2015 only brought an additional 1500 people,including the teams and media, to the island. That’s less than half of a smaller cruise ship.

I think there will be much more than 1500 additional people in Bermuda for the main events at the end of June. This is different from the 2015 event. It is the Cup. Also Bermudians will be attending the events. The events are centered at the Dockyard. I can't see how there would not be additional congestion there.

Those who are cruising there this June would want to take part in the activities. I expect they will be fun for those interested. I used to be interested in the America's Cup but lost interest when it became mainly a technology race and the teams dominated by billionaires. I liked the old boats. The new ones, meh. I am not going Bermuda this June because I am not interested. If I had interest I would book despite any increased crowds or congestion. I would get tickets to the Village.

I hope that Bermuda gets what they are hoping to out of hosting the races economically. I hope they get crowds.

We are on the NCL DAWN 5/26-6/2. We are not looking forward to the extra crowds. Had no idea about this event when I booked. Just glad we are going on vacation. Tried to book two different resort day passes but due to the Americas cup they are not being offered may 26- June 31. Bummer. Last cruise to Bermuda in October we hit two hurricanes and left a day early. Maybe Bermuda is just not meant to be for us? LOL!

Just curious, which are not being offered?

There have only been two resorts that have offered day passes the last couple of years, Coco Reef and Elbow Beach Resort. So by the process of elimination it would likely have to be them.