Reserving Sunbeds😡

lprp

We are currently on Explorer and sadly have an unexpected sea day due to winds and seas in the same direction making the Captain and Port Authorities decide that it was unsafe for us to go into the port of Roatan, Honduras. So, after breakfast we headed to the pool - it's a glorious sunny day 84f - to a sea of Sunbeds all sporting hats, books, bags, etc. but very few people! I had already expected this after a similar situation on a port day in Guatemala. There were no available beds in the shade. The 'rules' in Passages state that you cannot reserve Sunbeds for more than 30 minutes, but the pool guys won't enforce it. I did move someone's stuff in Guatemala (much to my husbands unease) and when the person came looking for her bed (after at least 1.25 hours) and started ranting at the pool staff, I told her that I moved it. She got more upset, I mentioned the 'rules' to her, yes, she was aware, she said. So why do it? says I. Her (predictable) response "because everyone else does". I asked her if that made it ok, took the moral high ground and left her to "her sunbed", telling her as I left that she was extremely selfish. Today I haven't moved anyone's stuff, despite some of the beds in the shade being unused for 2.5 hours. However, I remain aghast at how inconsiderate and selfish some of our fellow travellers are and more than a little cross that Regent do not enforce their policy.Rant over......for now🙄Apologies if this is not in paragraphs, the new format doesn't seem to allow that today😕

I am glad to say that on our recent Voyager cruise the policy was enforced (sometimes); personal belongings of sunbed 'hoggers' were moved to a table near the bar

PS: How did you manage to put an icon/emoji in your thread title? I was told by CC that this functionality had been removed in the new format

PS: How did you manage to put an icon/emoji in your thread title? I was told by CC that this functionality had been removed in the new format

Hi Flossie, I used the emoji from my iPad when I couldn't get the CC ones to work 😉

I did speak to the GM, who we know. He was very aware of the issue, but did not offer a solution, save for trying the Infinity pool (same issue) or using our balcony, not quite the same ambiance or accessibility to the pool.

We have another sea day tomorrow - I fear a repeat scenario 😖

Hi Flossie, I used the emoji from my iPad when I couldn't get the CC ones to work 😉

I did speak to the GM, who we know. He was very aware of the issue, but did not offer a solution, save for trying the Infinity pool (same issue) or using our balcony, not quite the same ambiance or accessibility to the pool.

We have another sea day tomorrow - I fear a repeat scenario 😖

Thanks for the info on the emoji

I would respectfully suggest to the sun-bed hoggers that they should 'reserve' the loungers/chairs on their own balcony :rolleyes:

Who is the GM? And did he give you a reason as to why he would not enforce the written rules?

Suggest that next time you call security and ask them to remove the items to lost and found if no one hase been around for so long. Or tell the pool staf fto move the whole lounge with possestion to another area and put a empty clean one in its place.

Understand you frustrations.

j

There was a similar thread a while back on this subject and I don't think anything has improved, unfortunately.

It's the same thing as not enforcing the dress code, letting unattended kids run rampant, cutting lines in La Veranda, and al of the other abhorrent, selfish behavior we read about on CC. Until Regent steps up and enforces their written policies, this type of self-centered behavior will persist. It's just a matter of time before someone gets in a fistfight because Regent won't get involved.

The lounger policy, like all of their other policies, is only as good as the enforcement. If Regent won't enforce them, they need to rescind them. The clods and miscreants who ignore the policies will continue to do so as long as there's no downside to them doing so.

Are you listening, Regent?

I find it peculiar and distressing that the GM would take such a craven position as to suggest that you (the reasonable party in the matter) should go elsewhere (such as your balcony), rather than take the appropriate position that the ship's staff should and will enforce the clearly-stated rules. That is as goofy as if he was to suggest that if someone complains about a neighboring passenger smoking on the veranda that the complaining passenger should simply keep his/her veranda door closed in order to not be bothered by the smoke.

GM is Michael Coghlan, when I mentioned that the pool staff won't enforce, he said it's because people get nasty - they do I saw it when I moved their things.

I would have thought a table where things could be placed would work?

I was hoping that there would be a reminder in tonight's passages, but sadly there isn't ......

GM is Michael Coghlan, when I mentioned that the pool staff won't enforce, he said it's because people get nasty - they do I saw it when I moved their things.

I would have thought a table where things could be placed would work?

I was hoping that there would be a reminder in tonight's passages, but sadly there isn't ......

If what you say is true, then Michael Coghlan isn't doing his job and if he can't do something so simple as the deck lounges-Then Regent should replace him. It's your cruise too and you should get what you pay for and nothing less.

Here we go again, will Regent ever listen? We had this problem on Voyager 2 years ago and were all set for battle on Navigator in October last. The table of shame was discussed on this board before our cruise and I was definitely going to go into action if I got no response from the crew. Well as it happened, we had no problem getting loungers as there was a huge group of bridge players on board and they seemed to play all day, every day.... happy days for us! But if this is not addressed, we will think twice about Regent next time, luxury cruise, no loungers, no thank you!

A little disappointing that Regent management seemingly won't try to enforce the rule. Telling the OP to "suck it up" is pretty lame, in my opinion.

We completely agree with you. I hope that the OP keeps us informed as to whether the problem gets fixed. It shows that if there were to be some sort of emergency, top staff do not really exhibit much leadership.

We completely agree with you. I hope that the OP keeps us informed as to whether the problem gets fixed. It shows that if there were to be some sort of emergency, top staff do not really exhibit much leadership.

Greetings from South Beach, fizzy. How about negative comments about this to corporate? It is mob rule if absentee passengers tie up lounges for hours with no consequences but those who then remove items are excoriated. This is Regent, not "Lord of the Flies." The GM has to do his job and establish order. Stopping nasty people a few times will make nastiness unfashionable. Effective management does not leave nice people at the mercy of the louts. It is also able to manage an emergency. If it can't mange deck chairs, what happens on the boat deck? We board Explorer in March and I will be looking for quality management, reflected by civilized deck life.

Mary

Excellent thread.

Onboard passenger(s): keep up the heat on management to, manage. We will be joining Warburg and many others aboard Explorer on March 26th.

At some point, those higher up the totem pole than deck attendants will do the right thing They will have done so not so much because they saw the light; rather, they felt the heat from paying guests who do have choices as to luxury lines.

In all fairness, we have seen similar behaviors on Silversea and Seabourn. Once--a shoving match, but no punches thrown. That caused deck attendants to step in and separate the combatants. The analogy between this behavior and a neighboring guest's smoking on a veranda (and reaction of management) is apt. Over time, behaviors do change, particularly when such is "encouraged" (enforced) by direct management intervention.

GoARMY!

GOARMY: While this does not affect us personally, I plan on discussing the subject with Michael while we both are onboard next month. In the past, if the policy is not being enforced, people remove the items, let the crew on the pool deck know and refer the previous "owners" of the sunbeds to the crew. This generally ends the issue.

While I want to see all policies enforced, just for a second, put yourself in the place of the "enforcers". Some Regent passengers feel "entitled" and will go ballistic if confronted or questioned. These are the same passengers that could go onto CC and blast Regent (without necessarily mentioning what caused them to do so). For this reason, there is a hesitancy to enforce two policies:

1. Lounge hogging.

2. Dress code.

The dilemma seems to be how to handle the situation without alienating their valued customers. While lounge hogging is rarely mentioned on CC, dress code is. You can see how defensive people are on this topic.

Perhaps some of the posters on this thread could make some positive suggestions on how to handle the situation.

P.S. Basically, if you are not in the pool, there is no reason for your belongings to be on a lounge!

TravelCat: You have appropriately framed these two issues which have been points of contention for--oh, the last 15 to 20 years. That is about as far as I am willing to go back into history. Baby steps as to affecting changes in onboard passenger conduct.

Such conduct does change, based on common sense; a sense of civility; and health concerns which often affect both passengers and crew. Example: smoking.

Change does happen.

See you, and many of our comrades in March at Miami.

GoARMY!

Disputes over shady areas at the pool have occurred to a varying degree on every warm weather cruise we have been on. Rather than argue over enforcement which will never really work, it would seem that the smart people who run these cruises would find ways to serve their customers by increasing the amount of shade available at the pool. Adding small portable umbrellas or finding lounges with canopies that can be raised or lowered would make customers and crew much happier.

We have experienced a scenario where the 'lounger hogging' was dealt with quickly, discreetly and effectively. The assistant F&B director, I am embarrassed to say I don't recall his name, but a lovely man from Turkey, watched the pool area like a hawk on sea days. If seats were left vacant for a period of time, he removed the items and put them on a table to be retrieved. He also dealt with the passengers personally if they were fussed and did not leave his pool staff to deal with upset passenger issues. We actually told him how much we appreciated his attention and commended him on the handling of the situation.

As far as dress code, it is definitely a slippery slope. I do think the maitre d's handle this reasonably well in evenings. Lunch in the specialty dining rooms is a pet peeve of ours. There is no reason for wearing a ball cap in a dining room ever. Don't we all have our opinions! [emoji846][emoji483]

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We have experienced a scenario where the 'lounger hogging' was dealt with quickly, discreetly and effectively. The assistant F&B director, I am embarrassed to say I don't recall his name, but a lovely man from Turkey, watched the pool area like a hawk on sea days. If seats were left vacant for a period of time, he removed the items and put them on a table to be retrieved. He also dealt with the passengers personally if they were fussed and did not leave his pool staff to deal with upset passenger issues. We actually told him how much we appreciated his attention and commended him on the handling of the situation.

As far as dress code, it is definitely a slippery slope. I do think the maitre d's handle this reasonably well in evenings. Lunch in the specialty dining rooms is a pet peeve of ours. There is no reason for wearing a ball cap in a dining room ever. Don't we all have our opinions! [emoji846][emoji483]

What a perfect post:D Despite what some posters are saying, Regent does have crew members that enforce their policies (and some that chicken out). I firmly believe that Regent does intend to enforce their policies.

I'm curious as to what your pet peeve is about lunch in specialty restaurants. Is it the ball caps? Agree 1000% (not a typo) that ball caps should not be worn in a restaurant (actually hats of any kind should not be worn indoors). On the other hand, I do understand that shorts and jeans are permitted in specialty restaurants at lunch (obviously, this is only an issue on the Explorer).

Thank you for posting!

Shrinkersgal - Regent did pay attention to more shaded areas when they built the Explorer. It seems, however, that even the extra space does not stop "hogs".

Yes we really objected to the ball caps in particular, really that shouldn't even be a thought in a dining venue in my opinion. Totally support a more relaxed attire at lunch.

GOARMY: While this does not affect us personally, I plan on discussing the subject with Michael while we both are onboard next month. In the past, if the policy is not being enforced, people remove the items, let the crew on the pool deck know and refer the previous "owners" of the sunbeds to the crew. This generally ends the issue.

While I want to see all policies enforced, just for a second, put yourself in the place of the "enforcers". Some Regent passengers feel "entitled" and will go ballistic if confronted or questioned. These are the same passengers that could go onto CC and blast Regent (without necessarily mentioning what caused them to do so). For this reason, there is a hesitancy to enforce two policies:

1. Lounge hogging.

2. Dress code.

The dilemma seems to be how to handle the situation without alienating their valued customers. While lounge hogging is rarely mentioned on CC, dress code is. You can see how defensive people are on this topic.

Perhaps some of the posters on this thread could make some positive suggestions on how to handle the situation.

P.S. Basically, if you are not in the pool, there is no reason for your belongings to be on a lounge!

I believe there is a distinct difference between the issues of dress code and sun-bed hogging; the latter selfish behaviour can spoil another cruiser's comfort on deck whereas infringement of the dress code does not physically affect others

Regarding dress code, we are not particularly worried about strict adherence to the Regent guidelines as long as people are appropriately dressed for the time of day and venue. Hopefully those who choose to wear shorts/T shirts in the evening will feel out of place

Everyone has their pet peeves and I agree with others that wearing a hat at the dining table is not good manners. One of our pet hates, even though it does not transgress the dress code, is those who go to the Pool Grill in their swimwear without a cover-up; the sight of too much flesh can really put you off your lunch :eek: