Mexican Rivera on Miracle 4/15

outofthedesert

I'm going on my first cruise to the Mexican Riveria on the Miracle for Easter and am trying to decide what are the best excursions. What ports are the best for shopping, snorkeling and resorts? Are there any ports that are better to skip excursions and do on our own? Thanks

I will attempt an answer from our experience:

FIRST: Tell us about you so your fellow cruisers can give suitable advise. E.G.- travelling with kids? ages?

What do you think you may like to do?-

Parasail, zip line, lay on beach, get wasted?

You mentioned shopping: Are you a browser and want to soak up flavor of Flea Market / Street Vendors. Or are you looking for jewelry, art, leather etc.?

I believe you will receive more answers once you let us know a bit more about your idea of a vacation.

As for us, 2 adults 55/60, 2 teens 17 ,

we never book ship excursions. Much less crowded and expensive to book on our own.

This being your first cruise, you may want to book through Carnival just for security sake.

But if you look at excursions offered on the web site, choose what sounds good at each port, then do a GOOGLE search, you will find many reputable vendors offering exact same thing at much reduced prices.

Shopping: Vendor stuff is all the same no matter which port you are in.

Resorts; Golden Zone in Mazatlan is similar to alot of large resort towns, Hotels lined up all along the beach. Go hotel hopping til you find a place that loks relaxing. We like Hotel Playa Mazatlan.

All beach activities offered right there, parasail, jet ski, kayak, etc.

Cabo is great for small town exploring, or Medano Beach Party crowd. Swim with Dolphins right near where tender pier is.

Puerto Vallarta is famous for Malecon, look it up.

Great beach day to sit under Palapa and eat and drink and do water sports.

One block up from beach are many shops for purchasing goods.

Rio Cuale ( look it up ) is our go too place for shopping and street food.

Bottom line: research!! You Tube, Google, Trip Advisor!! Read, find what looks good to you.

Then come back and ask specific questions that will get you more responses.

Have a blast. we love Carnival Miracle!! Going April 8.

Blessings,

Sam

How many days will you be in Cabo? Are you going to Mazatlan? Are you on an a itinerary that overnights in Puerto Vallarta?

We don't take the excursions, we eat lunch and get some local sweets.

Cabo - most of the restaurants around the Marina are good. We go a few blocks away. Eating at Taco Loco or Los Guacamayas. Take an overview tour from the ship. Otherwise you'll be waiting til almost 11am getting onto a tender.

Be on deck a few hours before you round Lands End. Always see wildlife.

Puerto Vallarta - take the bus into town (7,5 peso, 50c American bills no coin no change given)

Lots of good restaurants here.

Mazatlan - take a Pulmonia tour ($20/two hours) We eat upstairs at the Mercado across from the church. Walking back to the ship along the Blue Line.

ETA-

All ports will take American money.

Throw all bathroom paper into the trash.

If you're on a two day Cabo itinerary, the second day is less hassle getting on a tender.

As mentioneda above, lots of choices. However be aware you will be there during the busiest week of the year, Semana Santa. Many (and I mean many!) mexicans coming to the beaches from all over the country!

As mentioneda above, lots of choices. However be aware you will be there during the busiest week of the year, Semana Santa. Many (and I mean many!) mexicans coming to the beaches from all over the country!

I think they're safe on that front since the 'holy' week is the week leading up Easter and they'll be on the water while it ends!

I think they're safe on that front since the 'holy' week is the week leading up Easter and they'll be on the water while it ends!

I realise now they are start their cruise on April 15? However also the week after Easter (Semana Pascua) is still very busy, but less then Seamana Santa. Schools are closed during those 2 weeks.

Thank you everyone for your replies. I'm traveling with my husband, my sister and her husband. Our ages range from 48-62. I'm interested in snorkeling, hanging out at a resort, shopping and anything low key. I was thinking I would book a excursion through the cruise just because of being freaked out by the concept of the boat leaving without me but 3 days of excursions will almost cost as much as the cruise itself!

My husband and I, and my daughter and her family will be on the Miracle April 15th as well! Their girls are 11-13 and the adults ages range from 41-67. This will be my 50th cruise over-all, and out of those, I have taken this route about 20 times. Since it's your first cruise, I agree that you probably should book your excursions through the ship. We did that for the first 1/2 dozen cruises. But, I very quickly realized that as long as you're careful....there's nothing to fear. You will save a fortune booking yourself. I've already booked our trips. In Mazatlan, we are going horseback riding on Marias Happy Horses. It's $35 per person, and we have ridden with this group for YEARS. They pick you up right at the port at 9:00 and return you to the ship by 1:00 - in plenty of time for the 5:00 departure. In Puerta Vallarta we are taking a Dune Buggy/Zip Line Tour. It's costing $212 for the two of us for a 4-hour excursion. It will complete at 5:00 and we don't leave Puerto Vallarta until 8:00. In Cabo we are taking the Pirate Treasure Hunt Snorkel cruise - for $63 each. It's from Noon-4pm and includes lunch. We booked the Puerta Vallarta and Cabo tours on-line. Just type in Cabo San Lucas Tours and it will come up. We've used them LOTS of times and they're great. If, for any reason the ship doesn't stop at that port (weather, emergency etc.) they will quickly refund your money.

i read up a little on old threads... is the grand prix really that horrible? we're on the 4/8 miracle sailing:eek: what's usually a good time to navigate towards the port?

If you're staying overnight be careful of roars closures. Taxis should know the way around. In this instance I'd avoid Lyft/Uber only because many of their drivers are part time and might not know the shortcuts around the race.

If driving in, stay on the 710 and do not miss the exit to the Queen Mary.

https://gplb.com