Best transportation to get to Kings Station for early train to Vancouver

hentzkim

I am having a difficult time trying to decide just where to stay in Seattle, WA and how to best get to Kings Station to catch early train to Vancouver. We will be flying into Seattle on June 7 and want to spend the day seeing Seattle and then catch the Amtrak early train into Vancouver on June 8. Any help would be appreciated.....

First, it's King Street Station.

A taxi from any downtown hotel will cost $10 or so to get to the station and will take maybe 10 minutes. From any of the hotels around Seattle Center, it will be roughly twice the cost and time. June 8 is a weekday thus there will be a lot of commuter traffic between the airport and downtown. From an airport area hotel you're looking at 30+ min. (could be longer) and $40-$50 for the taxi. I wouldn't rely on light rail as the total travel time from the airport would be over an hour and would involve a lot of luggage wrangling, both on the light rail train and from the light rail station to the Amtrak counters.

I'd agree with the logistics above. We've taken the morning Amtrak a few times - and always stayed in or around Seattle Center (our preferred part of town for hotels). A regular cab from that neck of the woods ran from about $9 to $12 depending which hotel. Remember that if you have checked bags you MUST arrive an hour before the train's departure (there's hard limit of 45mins for when the bag has to be handed over - not just standing in the queue to hand it over but physically handed to the Amtrak employee; we've seen people turned away who were queuing before).

Even if you're going carry-on, an hour before is a good idea if you want water-side seats for the trip anyway. 6:45am arrival means leaving Downtown/Center hotels 6:30 or so, airport area not much after 6am. This is early enough to beat most commuter traffic, so it's unlikely the cab fare will be significantly higher.

Chances are that an airport hotel will save you a lot more than the difference in cab fares - so best value for you will depend how much you value your time and whether you would sightsee (without luggage) using the cheap-but-an-hour-or-more LINK to downtown or still-a-half-hour-plus cab, Uber etc. to get to & from the tourist sights. By the time you factor in three cab rides, downtown hotels start looking much better value!

Personally, I think finding a hotel by Seattle Center, and cabbing to King Street Station is probably best. Hotels there are more than airport, but less than downtown. You can hop on the monorail at Seattle Center, and pretty much walk (if physically able) to all the main attractions.

Grabbing a cab early to train station in the morning shouldn't be to bad, traffic wise, since there are several streets the cab can take down there.

Check the Silver Cloud Stadium hotel, which is down by the station. The costs may outweigh the convenience though. You are less than 3 months out, and hotels fill up pretty far in advance, during tourist and cruise season.

Staying at that BW. Can you walk to the Amtrak?

It's a decent distance of a walk (10 minutes according to google). I would catch an uber (max $10) or cab to the train station, especially with bags.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Best+Western+Plus+Pioneer+Square+Hotel,+77+Yesler+Way,+Seattle,+WA+98104/King+Street+Station,+South+Jackson+Street,+Seattle,+WA/@47.6000201,-122.332444,15z/data=!4m8!4m7!1m2!1m1!1s0x54906aa553d6afc5:0x916600ee5b689a73!1m2!1m1!1s0x54906abb4517f8cb:0xd72e17e31ed85966!3e0

This is a google map of the area.

Wondering how Friday morning (train leaves at 7:45am) traffic usually is trying to get from Silver Cloud Inn at Lake Union to King Street Station? MapQuest indicates it's about an 11 minute trip, but I saw Amtrak requires 45 prior check-in for checked bags, so I'm thinking we should leave the hotel about 90 minutes before the train is scheduled to leave. Any locals verify this is a good strategy? Appreciate the help and advice, thanks.

Wondering how Friday morning (train leaves at 7:45am) traffic usually is trying to get from Silver Cloud Inn at Lake Union to King Street Station? MapQuest indicates it's about an 11 minute trip, but I saw Amtrak requires 45 prior check-in for checked bags, so I'm thinking we should leave the hotel about 90 minutes before the train is scheduled to leave. Any locals verify this is a good strategy? Appreciate the help and advice, thanks.

I would be at the train station no later than 630am. This way you can get left side seats for sound views.

I am having a difficult time trying to decide just where to stay in Seattle, WA and how to best get to Kings Station to catch early train to Vancouver. We will be flying into Seattle on June 7 and want to spend the day seeing Seattle and then catch the Amtrak early train into Vancouver on June 8. Any help would be appreciated.....

Another option that you should look at, is staying in Edmonds (15 miles north of downtown Seattle). , There are 4 hotels on or near the waterfront with plenty of nice restaurants. The train station is within 2 blocks of the hotels. It is a easy walk and the train arrives about 40 minutes after leaving downtown. The hotels are 60% cheaper than downtown Seattle.

Another option that you should look at, is staying in Edmonds (15 miles north of downtown Seattle). , There are 4 hotels on or near the waterfront with plenty of nice restaurants. The train station is within 2 blocks of the hotels. It is a easy walk and the train arrives about 40 minutes after leaving downtown. The hotels are 60% cheaper than downtown Seattle.

That is an option, but for someone flying in, the need to get transportation to Edmonds will offset some of the savings and limit the amount of time they have exploring Seattle.

I would be at the train station no later than 630am. This way you can get left side seats for sound views.

So if we left the hotel, Silver Cloud Inn at Lake Union by 6:15 Friday morning we should be okay with morning rush hour traffic to get to the train station by 6:30? Thanks for the help.

So if we left the hotel, Silver Cloud Inn at Lake Union by 6:15 Friday morning we should be okay with morning rush hour traffic to get to the train station by 6:30? Thanks for the help.

You would get there right about then, depending on the traffic.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

We are travelling from a hotel at Seatac on a Monday morning 15th May to pick up the Amtrak train @ 07:45, we will have checked luggage. Does anyone have any thoughts/advice for the time the cab should pick us up? The hotel is organising it for us (Town Car). We were thinking 6am collection at the hotel?

thanks

Hello

We are travelling from a hotel at Seatac on a Monday morning 15th May to pick up the Amtrak train @ 07:45, we will have checked luggage. Does anyone have any thoughts/advice for the time the cab should pick us up? The hotel is organising it for us (Town Car). We were thinking 6am collection at the hotel?

thanks

That should work, but you may encounter traffic. I mentioned in a post above that you will want to be to King Street by 630am. So tell your hotel that time and see what they suggest for pick up.