Excursion times

jiminyC_fan

Is there a way to see what times are still available for included tours without cancelling your existing reservation? I really want an earlier time for one port so I am hoping to check it periodically for openings. I played around but couldn't figure it out if there is and I swear I read somewhere on their website that it was possible. Thank you.

Is there a way to see what times are still available for included tours without cancelling your existing reservation? I really want an earlier time for one port so I am hoping to check it periodically for openings. I played around but couldn't figure it out if there is and I swear I read somewhere on their website that it was possible. Thank you.

Good time to contact TellUs@vikingcruises.com they can probably get it worked out.

I wrote Viking about an included excursion comparing it to a description on our post stay for the same port but they refused to even answer my question due to me having a travel agent. I think that was poor customer service. It was just about an excursion not about my booking.

I wrote Viking about an included excursion comparing it to a description on our post stay for the same port but they refused to even answer my question due to me having a travel agent. I think that was poor customer service. It was just about an excursion not about my booking.

In speaking with a local travel agent who has used Viking, they are there to help you but not with anything that you did not book through them. If you booked through a travel agent, then let them continue to serve you. I must also interject here that I booked through Viking and canceled my air. When I mentioned to another local TA here about booking the air and hotel they were not interested unless they did the whole thing. Though it seems silly to us, this may be part of the ethics of the business. It might be akin to taking an account with you from one agency to another if you change agencies of your employment. That being said, if I ever need anything in the way of travel, I will not deal with the TA that would not book my service for me. Even if he was a friend since high school. It may be 'ethical' but you're right, it is poor customer service but at least they told you how to get things done.

I... I must also interject here that I booked through Viking and canceled my air. When I mentioned to another local TA here about booking the air and hotel they were not interested unless they did the whole thing. ....

The TA was looking out for you (and themselves as well). Mixing up bookings like this is just looking for trouble. I say this assuming you were looking at booking the air and hotel though the cruise line via the TA. If you had a cruise booked and just wanted someone to book those for you independent of the cruise... well... maybe that was not so smart on their part.

Maybe I should not be commenting anyways since we always book our own hotels and air. I can spend time searching and picking stuff on my own and get the same or better pricing. And, I am in control of the whole thing.

I must be misunderstanding something here. Why would Viking refuse to answer a question you have about one of their included tours?

We are trying to find a way to have a friend join our 9:45am included tour without her canceling the booking she already has on the same tour at 9:15, just in case our tour is fully booked. She doesn't want to lose her reservation if she can't get on ours. There doesn't appear to be a way to do it through MyVikingJourney so she has contacted a rep at Viking. We have used a TA to book our cruise so does that mean Viking won't answer her question/request??

We have a good TA but I don't think she has taken a Viking Ocean cruise yet so we probably know more than she does at this point. :D Deborah

You used a TA to book your cruise and post cruise stay with Viking .

So call your TA to get the anwer to your question and make any changes.

Any cruise line will only deal with your TA until you are on board.

It is standard procedure .

That is why some folks love using a TA and others book directly with a cruise line.

This is an interesting thread, I had an issue as we are leaving for Europe at the beginning of April and not taking our Viking Ocean Cruise till beginning of May. The first time I called Viking they assured me I would have my travel documents by the end of March, second time I called they said absolutely not that the documents are mailed 15 days prior to Cruise, no exceptions. So I emailed Viking and was told my TA had to handle any request (I have taken 4 Viking River Cruises and never had this run around). My TA contacted Viking and was told I don't really need my travel documents and there is nothing I need to board the ship other than passport, end of story. Well within 3 hours I received an email from Viking that had all my travel documents including all shore excursions booked to date and where the ship will be docked in Bergen. Only thing missing are my luggage tags but hey why did I have to jump through hoops and called all these people just to have someone at Viking (thank you Brian Singer) email me the basics that I was looking for.

As for included tours, I found I could only cancel one then book the one I wanted.

Update, I wrote them again late last night and by this morning I had my answer. I am thankful they pulled through for me.

Here is their first response to my question:

Thank you for your recent email.

We have sent your agent with Pavlus a complete list of the excursions which will be scheduled for your voyage. Until such day that this option options via your personal account, all such details are filtered via your personal travel agent.

If we can be of any further assistance please email us again.

Regards,

Viking Cruises

and this is my response from last night:

To clarify, these are both the same tour – one is offered to those whom are not extending their stay and one is offered to those that are.

If we can be of any further assistance please email us again.

Regards,

Viking Cruises

Why couldn't they have told me one day earlier? I wanted to know if they were the same so I didn't need to book something that is included on the post stay. That was it. In case anyone is lost, this had nothing to do with my original question in this thread. I still need to figure that one out.

Azulann, my question had nothing to do with my booking. Everything is going smoothly with my TA and very happy that I have one. They saved me money. I have booked many a cruise on my own. I didn't need to change anything. Just had a question about one simple included excursion. A TA wouldn't even know the answer if they hadn't taken the exact cruise. It would have caused them to contact Viking after I wrote the TA. I was trying to cut out one person for a yes or no answer.

jiminyC,

Glad it worked out and at least one of your questions were answered.

I have used online TA most of the time. Got their perks besides Celebrity's perks. Great deals.

I have used a brick and mortar TA when we went on a Eastern Med cruise and stayed in Istanbul for four days . She arranged for hotel, great airfare and guides for two of us that week.

I am using another TA for my Viking cruise. He has been on two Viking cruises and knows the product personally.

I hope to book the free guided tours and book one paid tour offer by Viking. If it is full when it is my time to book, I will organize a private tour on my own and post it on my roll call.

Good luck and look forward to your trip review when you get back.

Am probably piling on but I think that there is an agreement between the cruise lines (and airlines etc) that if you have a travel agent, they simply cannot interact with you in any way about the cruise (or trip) being managed by your TA. To do so would be poaching. Also, don't forget that your TA is earning a commission from the cruise line for working with you. So they want the TA to earn the commission they are paying them. This sounds brutal perhaps but that's the the way it's done. And is true across the board. For me I work directly with Viking (a particular Viking agent) and have been happy with that arrangement. We've booked two cruises thru her - one River and one Ocean and have just booked another two (ocean and river).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You know CharTrav, I certainly understand your thoughts because I have I booked on my own through a cruise lines and also with TA's both and understand the works of it. It just seemed like it was a yes or no answer that Viking would have the answer to easily and it didn't affect my booking made it the right approach. If I had contacted the TA I would have had to write (or call) her, she would write (or call) Viking, and then have to write (or call) me back. Seemed so silly for yes or no. None the less, I do have my answer from Viking and it is over. I do have a couple more questions including my original reason for this post and have directed it to my TA.

Edited by jiminyC_fan

The TA was looking out for you (and themselves as well). Mixing up bookings like this is just looking for trouble. I say this assuming you were looking at booking the air and hotel though the cruise line via the TA. If you had a cruise booked and just wanted someone to book those for you independent of the cruise... well... maybe that was not so smart on their part.[/quote

And you now have complete understanding of the situation. Cruise was already booked, I still needed to independently book the other things----------and did, myself. You're right, "maybe that was not so smart".

Jiminy, I use the same TA you do and have for years and years....probably close to 20 cruises. I love the discount..15-18% and would never book directly with Viking because I save so much money. My TA answers questions promptly, but I've also emailed Viking directly, as you did, asking questions about the excursions and they have answered promptly as well. No problem even though I use a TA.

stretchcruz, I honestly think I got a Viking representative that wasn't customer friendly. The next one 24 hours later didn't seem to bat an eye. The customer service rep for the TA got back to me as soon as he got a response from Viking on two questions. I was impressed with him. I wish HE was my real TA.

You can change TAs at our agency. The first one I had I wasn't impressed with so I sent an email to customer service asking for a different one. They checked with Craig and called me with my new TA's name and number. She's been great for probably 10 years now. Lots of friends use her too.

You can change TAs at our agency. The first one I had I wasn't impressed with so I sent an email to customer service asking for a different one. They checked with Craig and called me with my new TA's name and number. She's been great for probably 10 years now. Lots of friends use her too.

I had a spectacular one but she left so I was assigned a new one. This one doesn't want to work, LOL. I figure it is so close to sailing that I don't want to "rock the boat" but will ask for a new one next time I book. I do love the agency.