Arriving early in FLL. Can we hang out at cruise terminal?

kevingastreich

Wow! That is early. I have no idea when the terminal opens, but I don't think there's much there. Would you be better off hanging around at the airport instead? Get some breakfast, etc.?

I'm thinking the airport as well - and I live in Fort Lauderdale. There's not a lot to do with your luggage in tow at 6:30 after you've gotten your bags.

Wow! That is early. I have no idea when the terminal opens, but I don't think there's much there. Would you be better off hanging around at the airport instead? Get some breakfast, etc.?

Thanks for your reply. I've been to that airport before but don't remember if there are any seating areas, food options etc. where the baggage claim is? I don;t want the luggage just spinning around while we waste time upstairs. Thanks.

Our plane arrives in FLL at about 6am. We will take a taxi to cruise terminal. Are there any good options for "hanging out" until the cruise terminal opens for passengers? BTW, what time DOES the cruise terminal open? Thanks.

One option to consider is taking a hotel shuttle bus from the terminal and having a nice breakfast, while you wait to embark later. Then a taxi to the ship from the hotel. Juggling luggage twice is the main drawback.

We did a red-eye to FLL on our last cruise and had to hang out at the terminal which was pretty grim, made even worse by our failed HAL pre-paid pick up who never bothered to show up and let us know where to later meet the HAL bus.

We knew we would have to wait to check in coming in that early, but we did not know we would be abandoned by HAL so we could not leave to even get anything to eat, in case we missed our pre-paid connection. Not a happy start to that trip. Other cruise lines had set up kiosks around 8am, but HAL finally rolled in much later.

The better places to eat at the airport are before you leave the "secure zone" and pick up your luggage, but if you do not pick up your luggage right away it will be taken to the "lost luggage desk" if you don't see it later on the carousel. Once you leave the baggage claim area, there is not much nor all that many places to sit. So staying at the airport for that time period has limited appeal.

On another recent collectors cruise we had in in-transit stop over in FLL and we had done all the offered FLL shore excursions, but we had to leave the ship until it was time to come back on. (There might have also been an option to stay in the show lounge under transit passenger restrictions, but I can't remember)

So we simply wandered around the port area for a few hours, which actually produced some interesting things to see - a large yacht transport ship loading and time spent browsing the interesting "Sailors Fund" (??)) shop which also offers a rest area. But again, there was not much there --just good exercise from walking around.

My suggestions:

1. If available, use "Bags VIP Luggage Delivery" service - for pricing & details about the service, here's a link to the Bags Inc. web site: https://www.maketraveleasier.com/bagsvip ;

2. Upon arrival at FLL, take a taxi down to the SE 17th Street area, have a leisurely breakfast at one of the many restaurants there, and then go walking, shopping, sightseeing, etc.; and
  3. Around 10:30 or so, take a taxi to the terminal and check in for your cruise.

Smooth sailing ...

One option to consider is taking a hotel shuttle bus from the terminal and having a nice breakfast, while you wait to embark later. Then a taxi to the ship from the hotel. Juggling luggage twice is the main drawback.

We did a red-eye to FLL on our last cruise and had to hang out at the terminal which was pretty grim, made even worse by our failed HAL pre-paid pick up who never bothered to show up and let us know where to later meet the HAL bus.

We knew we would have to wait to check in coming in that early, but we did not know we would be abandoned by HAL so we could not leave to even get anything to eat, in case we missed our pre-paid connection. Not a happy start to that trip. Other cruise lines had set up kiosks around 8am, but HAL finally rolled in much later.

The better places to eat at the airport are before you leave the "secure zone" and pick up your luggage, but if you do not pick up your luggage right away it will be taken to the "lost luggage desk" if you don't see it later on the carousel. Once you leave the baggage claim area, there is not much nor all that many places to sit. So staying at the airport for that time period has limited appeal.

On another recent collectors cruise we had in in-transit stop over in FLL and we had done all the offered FLL shore excursions, but we had to leave the ship until it was time to come back on. (There might have also been an option to stay in the show lounge under transit passenger restrictions, but I can't remember)

So we simply wandered around the port area for a few hours, which actually produced some interesting things to see - a large yacht transport ship loading and time spent browsing the interesting "Sailors Fund" (??)) shop which also offers a rest area. But again, there was not much there --just good exercise from walking around.

Thanks, great tips.

Follow Copper's advice. Look up your airline's terminal and you can find a list of what's open for breakfast. They've done some major upgrades to the passenger areas in the past few years. There is food on both sides of security.

Follow Copper's advice. Look up your airline's terminal and you can find a list of what's open for breakfast. They've done some major upgrades to the passenger areas in the past few years. There is food on both sides of security.

And not a bad breakfast either after a red eye ;)

And not a bad breakfast either after a red eye ;)

The terminal we arrived at where we were abandoned by the HAL representative had not gone through a make-over and was pretty grim.

DH went out foraging, while I had to park with all our bags, and he was able to get a weird cheese box with some grapes. Notice many of the dining options do not open until 9, and the packaged stuff is what is offered earlier.

When the HAL rep finally guided us to our bus, rolling our own luggage quite a ways to another terminal some distance away, that terminal did have a far better atmosphere and options. Had HAL not dropped the ball on this pre-paid pick up at FLL, we could have waited it out in the better terminal. But we had no idea where that final pick-up point would be.

The terminal we arrived at where we were abandoned by the HAL representative had not gone through a make-over and was pretty grim.

DH went out foraging, while I had to park with all our bags, and he was able to get a weird cheese box with some grapes. Notice many of the dining options do not open until 9, and the packaged stuff is what is offered earlier.

When the HAL rep finally guided us to our bus, rolling our own luggage quite a ways to another terminal some distance away, that terminal did have a far better atmosphere and options. Had HAL not dropped the ball on this pre-paid pick up at FLL, we could have waited it out in the better terminal. But we had no idea where that final pick-up point would be.

My red eye, a couple of years ago already, was on JetBlue arriving in T3. The 'Golden Bear Grill' located there was open at 0600 and their breakfast was tasty

My preference would be to take a cab to the Hyatt Pier 66 or another "near port" hotel, have bell desk hold luggage, have a wonderful breakfast, enjoy a bit of time walking and/or sitting on a lounger outside by the pool and then go to the cruise terminal after noon. Another option is going to one of the airport hotels as Old Salt recommends and do the same as I have mentioned above, some airport hotels offer shuttles to the port. Suggestions for enjoying breakfast in the FLL terminals are good, I'm always ready to get out in the fresh air and away from the airport. JMO Cherie

JMO -- Ft Lauderdale airport has been renovating for the last few years.

You may or may not be in a terminal area with a restaurant on the luggage claim area.

You would be better to take a taxi to a hotel close by the pier -- and there are many -- have the bell hops hold your luggage and then enjoy a nice breakfast before you take a taxi to the pier.

The FLL terminal with Southwest (number escapes me) has some food options and also a place that will store your luggage for about $5-$7 a piece. We used this in October so I'm sure it's still there. (Note that for security reasons, they will want to see your ID and travel itinerary before they will take your bags.)

I was considering parking the luggage and ubering to a Panera near the port, but that plan was vetoed by others, so we chilled in the baggage area. It wasn't that bad. Starbucks too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My red eye, a couple of years ago already, was on JetBlue arriving in T3. The 'Golden Bear Grill' located there was open at 0600 and their breakfast was tasty

Here are the choices today, in the T3 "pre-security" departure level - not the arrival level, where we unfortunately were marooned until the HAL agent finally showed up - Golden Bear Grill would have sounded good - a 6am burrito not so much: http://www.broward.org/Airport/Terminals/Pages/Terminal3Restaurants.aspx#level

But the lesson was good - never come in on a red eye and wait for HAL connections on the day of departure.

(Heck, we already knew that, but this was a last minute trip so we did not think it through enough, and DH likes the "security" of the HAL transfer connections. Bah. Taking my own advice and going to a hotel for breakfast would have saved a lot of grief this last time, but what is done is done.)

I had a similar early arrival and did the shuttle to a nice hotel (I'm thinking it was a Westin but can't remember, maybe a Hyatt). The bellman gladly took my luggage to hold and the first thing I did was go to the ladies room and wash my face! Just that felt so refreshing. I was solo, so dragging luggage everywhere would have been,.. well, a drag. I waited for the breakfast to open, took my sweet time, later enjoyed the grounds, found a comfy chair and wrote a bit in my journal, read the paper... now would probably be online :) but this was a while ago!

All in all it was a rather pleasant, safe and easy prelude. I asked for my luggage and a taxi and was on my way feeling rested after a not-much-sleep night.

Hanging around the airport is easier with two people, at least one can watch the luggage while the other walks, window shops, visits the rest room, etc., but 4 hours is a long time to stay at FLL in the unsecured area (I would certainly want to get my luggage and be sure it arrived and not wait unitl the last minute in case there's an issue), not very pleasant in my opinion, especially compared to a nice hotel. JMHO. m--

The FLL terminal with Southwest (number escapes me) has some food options and also a place that will store your luggage for about $5-$7 a piece. We used this in October so I'm sure it's still there. (Note that for security reasons, they will want to see your ID and travel itinerary before they will take your bags.) ...

I had a similar early arrival and did the shuttle to a nice hotel (I'm thinking it was a Westin but can't remember, maybe a Hyatt). The bellman gladly took my luggage to hold ... I was solo, so dragging luggage everywhere would have been,.. well, a drag ...

As indicated in my earlier Post, OP should also look into the Bags VIP Luggage Delivery service. With Bags VIP Luggage Delivery, you check your bags in at your home airport and Bags VIP will pick up your bags at the cruise destination airport and deliver them to the ship - no waiting at Baggage Claim, no hassle, no schlepping multiple bags from the airport to the ship.

Been there and done this.

At 6 am, Terminal 1 by baggage claim, nothing, not even Starbucks was open until 8 am (this was a few years ago).

Resourceful as we are, we finished off the semi-wholesome food I stashed in my carry-on (homemade cookies) and did crossword puzzles and made plans for what to so first, second and third upon boarding.

No point going to the cruise terminal until 11 am.

A lot of excellent suggestions for what to do otherwise on this thread! We'll remember all these tips, so thanks to posters here.

As indicated in my earlier Post, OP should also look into the Bags VIP Luggage Delivery service. With Bags VIP Luggage Delivery, you check your bags in at your home airport and Bags VIP will pick up your bags at the cruise destination airport and deliver them to the ship - no waiting at Baggage Claim, no hassle, no schlepping multiple bags from the airport to the ship.

I think we will try this. Thank you so much for the tip!

I checked the luggage delivery prices and it was $248 if we sent two pieces of luggage a week in advance. This is KY to Florida. Another option is a day rate at a hotel.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just out of curiosity, why would you be sending your "luggage a week in advance"? OP indicated that she/he/they would be arriving at FLL on their cruise departure date - as such, the Bags VIP Luggage Delivery price for "two pieces of luggage" would be $39.95 ... much less than a day rate at any hotel that I would stay in ... YMMV ...