Are gratuities included in the Silver package?

PRH

We are debating purchasing this package but wondering if gratuities were included or added to your bill with each drink "purchased". Also, we were told by Viking that the package could be purchased anytime during the cruise but their on-line information says 7 days before departure. Anyone have experience with this?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

When we arrived in our cabin, there was a beverage package description waiting for us, therefore, I assume that you can add the package once you have boarded.

Drink prices on board include a 15% tip in the list price (along with the size of the drink). The beverage package also includes a 15% tip.

Keep in mind the following in your calculations.

• Coffee, tea and hot chocolate are free at all times regardless of the venue--bar, restaurant, buffet.
  • House wines and beers are available for free at lunch and dinner.
  • The silver package does not include wine by the bottle or any cocktail over a $9.50 (currently but subject to change).
  • There is a very liberal BYO policy on board and guests are encouraged to sample local wines, beers and spirits.
  • There is no corkage fees in the dining rooms.
  • BYO may be consumed anywhere
  • Carafes of filtered water are in each cabin (and changed twice daily).
  • Bottled water is available as you leave the ship each day.
  • For DV cabins and above, there are six cans of soda in your mini-bar, refilled once a day. (you may ask your steward for any combination of sodas). PV and above includes alcohol in the mini-bar; DV and V can purchase alcohol for the mini-bar.
  • Drinks package holders automatically get the premium wines at Chef's Table.

After listening to all the discussion on this, I've concluded that the beverage package works best for these situations: 1) those who consume more than two cocktails per day every day; 2) those who like to sample the various premium wines that are offered by the glass; and 3) those drinkers who don't care if they break even or not, they just want to order what they want when they want it and not think about it.

Hope this helps.

Just got a call back from travel agent. Gratuities are NOT included in the Silver Spirits package. You either tip directly or tips are added to your invoice.

As peregrina indicated the value of drinks covered will be changing soon if it has not already. According to the documentation on My Viking Journey for our cruise next March the drinks with a listed price of up to $15 are included. It also confirms that gratuitys ARE covered within the package.

Cheers ;)

Sent from my mobile using the CC forums app

Just got a call back from travel agent. Gratuities are NOT included in the Silver Spirits package. You either tip directly or tips are added to your invoice.

There has been some confusion here. You had asked if gratuities for the drinks were included in the beverage package and I said that they were according to what it says on material produced by Viking. I stand by what I told you.

Viking does things a bit differently than most cruise lines and this is one of those details that is easy to get wrong On Viking, bar prices automatically include the tip in the price of the drink. Unless you so wish to tip more than 15%, there is no need to add a tip to the bill. The description of the beverage package that we received on the ship clearly states that a 15% gratuity is included in the price of the package. Again, if you wish to tip more, you may add the additional amount when the waiter presents your bill.

Here is a sample page from one of the bar menus; prices are from 6/16 and subject to change, Notice that it states clearly on each page that the prices include the gratuity:

enhance

On the other hand, shipboard tips for the hotel staff (not including the the bars, spa and beauty treatments, shorex and other paid optional services) are not included in the cruise fare. On the last day of the cruise, before you pay your on-board account, an amount of x per person per day will be added to your account. This amount is optional. You may increase it, decrease it or delete from your bill. If you delete it, it is expected that you will be tipping room stewards and restaurant staff individually. (IMHO, much easier to leave the charge on the bill and then give an additional gratuity to any staff who have been particularly helpful, especially since you don't have the same wait staff at every meal).

I think that Peregrina has got to the source of the confusion. Just to be sure I have it exactly right here is the information cut and pasted from the "Enhance your trip" section of "My Viking Journey"

Silver Spirits Beverage Package

Upgrade to the very best spirits available during the duration of your cruise, and enjoy unlimited:

• Any drinks up to $15.00 including premium
  • The Chef’s Table premium wine pairing
  • Selection of applicable wines change twice per cruise
  • Wines by the glass, cocktails & aperitifs
  • Mini-bar replenishments
  • 15% discount on Premium Beverages above $50.00
  • Softdrinks

(Please note: Both guests in a stateroom must purchase the package in order for it to be valid. A 15% service charge per person is included with the price. Prices effective as of October 2016.)

I hope this is helpful PRH, we look forward to seeing you on The Sea :)

Edited by photopro2
Typo

We were on Viking Sea in January and purchased the Silver package on board. We thought it was good value and enjoyed sampling a slightly more extensive choice of wines with dinner and trying cocktails that we had never come across before.

Unlike some other cruise lines we never had a problem ordering a drink and found the crew wherever we were on the ship totally delightful and kind.

We will certainly order the package again when we cruise with Viking next time.

Does the package include cappuccino and expresso along with coffees, teas and hot chocolate in the silver package? I certainly hope so!

There were a few do it yourself machines on our Viking River Cruise and they were very popular. It was also included in the premium beverage package on Celebrity.

Thanks , Robin

Does the package include cappuccino and expresso along with coffees, teas and hot chocolate in the silver package? I certainly hope so!

There were a few do it yourself machines on our Viking River Cruise and they were very popular. It was also included in the premium beverage package on Celebrity.

Thanks , Robin

Not an issue. Except where alcohol is added, all coffees, teas and hot chocolate are free at all times and in all venues, self-serve or from the barista. So, you don't need to add the beverage package just for unlimited coffee, tea or hot chocolate.

Personally, the best place for espresso based drinks is the Atrium Bar on Deck 1.