Naples to Sorrento/Amalfi train?

Has anyone taken the train from Naples down the Amalfi coast to Sorrento? Which train is it, perhaps Circumvesuviana? ... there are several lines at the Garibaldi station? How much was the ticket? Do you need to take a cab from the ship to the station? ... it looks like maybe a half mile walk? We read somewhere you have to stamp your ticket at a kiosk before boarding? Does the conductor let you drive the train :-)
Thx,
-Bob & Wendy

It may look like a short walk but we tried walking along the seafront road then heading inland through a VERY rough neighbourhood - not recommended!
You may be able to get a taxi if you are off early enough but most of the drivers want a full day fare (getting back is no problem as there are lots of taxis at the station and all are willing to take you to the port)
I understand the no. 1 bus goes from the port to the station and we plan to try that this year if we decide against the hydrofoil to Sorrento
You need to get the Circumvesuviana train....don't make our mistake and wait in a long ticket queue in the upper hall . Look for the stairs in the upper hall which lead underground to the Circumvesuviana train. There are ticket booths down there and it is much less confusing
You do need to validate your ticket in the machine on the wall as it will be checked on the train ....with on the spot fines and no excuses accepted
It's the same train to Pompeii, but if you get off there make sure you get off at Pompeii Scavi. We only went as far as Pompeii Scavi - can't remember the cost but know it wasn't much

Bob7, 1. We will be taking the hydrofoil from the Naple port to either Positano or Amalfi. It's hydrofoil/route MM2, 8 Euro and 1 hr, 5 min to Positano or 9 Euro and 1 hr, 25 min to Amalfi. Here is the link for the hydrofoils [url]www.metrodelmare.com[/url] 2. Then we will take the local bus back to Sorrento, the buses leave every 30-40 minutes and takes approx. 1hr 40 min from Amalfi to Sorrento and 1hr from Positano to Sorrento. We may just go as far as Positano to buy us enough time to go to Pompeii. Here is the link for the buses [url]www.sita-on-line.it[/url] 3. From Sorrento we will take the Circumvesuviana train to Pompeii Scavi. It costs 3 Euro, departs every 30 minutes and takes approx. 30 minutes. Then the same train from Pompeii Scavi to Naples, 3 Euro again leaves every 20 minutes and takes about 40 minutes. Here is the link for the train [url]www.vesuviana.it[/url] **Please note, all times and rates are based on my research, to the best of my ability, I am not considering it as 'written in stone' but more as a ballpart figure.** I hope all goes as well as I picture it in my mind and I hope I've helped you out a bit too. Oh, from everything that I've read, we will not attempt to walk from the train station to the pier, we'll either cab it or bus it.

Sue, thx for that info, we heard the walk to the station was iffy, good to know. Where do you catch the buses? And there are trams too going there, #1 & 4, have you seen those?

Marika you are totally organized! ... I think you could do the whole country in a couple days :-) We only have 8-5, so we're going to do Sorrento and then get back to Naples. Gawd we saw a quote for a cab/van from Naples to Sorrento for $100 each way, makes a 3E train look really good. Probably more interesting too.
-Bob

Archived