Can I walk to and from ship docked at old Mole pier?

Lil' Baba

Can anyone tell me if we can simply walk to attractions from old Mole pier. We are fit enough to walk for miles and would like to avoid taking a trolley/train/shuttle from the ship into town.

From the old Mole we want to hit up the Little White house first then make our way down Duval to Southernmost Café. Afterwards head back to the ship along Fort Street and Angela Street. Can this be done on foot alone?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

My understanding is that you can't walk from the Outer Mole Pier as it is situated within a Naval Base. Passengers are required to exit the area via the free shuttle.

That is right.

It is so much better when we dock at Mallory. The Navy Base dock is a nuisance.

You will not be allowed to walk more than about 50 feet past the ship. You have to take a shuttle/trolley in and out. There is a gate that is guarded; it's an active base (there were SEALS doing training exercises when we were docked there). I think if you tried to walk up to come back, you would be turned away and instructed to go back to where the shuttle picks everyone up.

It's a pain, but if you've never been to Key West, it's a nice way to see a little bit of it. It'll add 15 minutes at most.

Edited by bluegirlum

• 4 months later...

We had the same question, as we wanted to head right to Blue Heaven for breakfast and were hoping the shuttle would drop us off when we were off the Outer Mole Pier/Base, but they would not do that for us. We had to drive to Mallory Square area (the drop off and pick up point) then walk back.

It wasn't as big of a deal as I had expected it to be, but added about an extra 30 minutes on before we arrived at Blue Heaven. We got off the trolly and literally walked back the exact same way we just came, past the entrance to the Pier and onto Blue Heaven. It was fine. It was a beautiful day and early morning for Key West so a nice walk!

We had the same question, as we wanted to head right to Blue Heaven for breakfast and were hoping the shuttle would drop us off when we were off the Outer Mole Pier/Base, but they would not do that for us. We had to drive to Mallory Square area (the drop off and pick up point) then walk back.

It wasn't as big of a deal as I had expected it to be, but added about an extra 30 minutes on before we arrived at Blue Heaven. We got off the trolly and literally walked back the exact same way we just came, past the entrance to the Pier and onto Blue Heaven. It was fine. It was a beautiful day and early morning for Key West so a nice walk!

Blue Heaven can be jammed some days, especially on the weekends. If so you still have several great options. Come October, Bliss will be serving breakfasts on Saturday and Sunday mornings. You pass it on your right before you come to BH. And across the street there's La Creperie which is under new management but the crepes are as good as before. And a third choice is to walk back out to Duval and find Croissants de France. Try a toasted brioche filled with poached eggs.

Pjk

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I understand the shuttle takes you from the ship to Mallory Square. Do you have to go back to Mallory Square to shuttle back to the ship? We'd much prefer to spend our day on the south/east end of the Key.

Yes, you have to pick the shuttle up where it dropped you off in order to get back to the ship/Outer Mole. You cannot walk there, nor will they stop and pick you up along the way.

We are renting golf carts and the company is picking us up to take us were we rent them. Can they come to old mole pier to get us or do we need to take the cruise shuttle first?

You will still have to take the shuttle to Front St where you will be met by the pickup.

Mike:)

Unless you have mobility issues, Key West is small enough to walk everywhere that is of most interest. If you get tired, taxis are plentiful and cheap. Electric cars are a hassle to park and drive on our small, congested streets. Just my opinion, but I would save the money and walk or use a taxi. Even with an electric car, you will likely have to park a couple blocks or more away from your destination.

Unless you have mobility issues, Key West is small enough to walk everywhere that is of most interest. If you get tired, taxis are plentiful and cheap. Electric cars are a hassle to park and drive on our small, congested streets. Just my opinion, but I would save the money and walk or use a taxi. Even with an electric car, you will likely have to park a couple blocks or more away from your destination.

I agree with all of the above.

• 2 weeks later...

When we were docked there in Nov., we told the driver we wanted to go to Fort Zachary to the beach, so he let us off just outside the base gate. When we walked back, they picked us up by the gate and we rode into town. I presume if we didn't want to go to town we could have waited for the incoming bus. Maybe it's different if you aren't going to the beach.

When we were docked there in Nov., we told the driver we wanted to go to Fort Zachary to the beach, so he let us off just outside the base gate. When we walked back, they picked us up by the gate and we rode into town. I presume if we didn't want to go to town we could have waited for the incoming bus. Maybe it's different if you aren't going to the beach.

It seems to be up to the discretion of the shuttle driver as some will allow those wanting to visit Fort Zach off midway while most will require passengers to remain onboard until reaching the destination on Front St. In any case it is only a matter of a few hundred yards.

• 1 month later...
I understand the shuttle takes you from the ship to Mallory Square. Do you have to go back to Mallory Square to shuttle back to the ship?

Was just Googling around Key West and spotted this line. Is this the drop off/pick-up location for the shuttle back to the ship? Looks like it's across from the Shipwreck Museum near the Aquarium.

Can anyone just back confirm this or is this something else.

1860618423_KeyWestLine.jpg.6c1e539b562bcd35da771d511962ea66.jpg