Organizing one's cabin to be home for a 4 month cruise

ijkh

I am curious about helpful advice about organizing one's cabin for longer cruises.

Here is what we plan on bringing differently than a 10 day cruise for us includes:

pop up laundry hamper for our closet. Maybe one for each of us.

Some sort of shoe organizer yet to be found. (we find shoes hard to mange in closets because one of us brings too many:o )

hanger for multiple pairs of pants

hanger for multiple skirts

sticky hooks (the magic kind that come on and of with ease and leave no mark)

magnets for the wall including a clip one. We will buy more along the way

a converter plug adapter to use the 220 volt plug in the room as well as the 110 volt plug

photos of our family

Other maybes:

a small fresh sweet smelling plant for our room like a jasmine or such

An over the door hanger with notches for extra hangers to be placed( to be used for our robes or coats)

? other closet organizer things

I would appreciate any other touches recommended to make our cabin our home for 4 months?

I would avoid the sticky hooks. Just use the magnetic ones.

In terms of magnets bring some strong ones not the ones for the refrigerator.

If you have a lot to charge bring two power strips. I like these.

http://www.amazon.com/Monster-MP-OTG400-BK-Outlets/dp/B000F9YN2M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400317798&sr=8-1&keywords=Monster+travel+power+strips

I would go with one vs two portable hampers. One works and your space is limited for two.

These are just a few items that come to mind.

Keith

I recommend a shower caddy that hangs over the shower head. Holds soaps and shampoos. I also hung a large world map with magnets on my wall to track my travels. I got my map free from AAA.

I had my cabin for 94 day, I've lived in apartments for less time. It does really feel like home after awhile.

Have a great trip

Don

Check with your cruise line re the plant. Most won't allow you to bring one on board.

Duct tape.

Fabreeze can increase your time between laundry, and is helpful in your co-existence with your shoes in hot and humid climates.

If you get bottles of wine for the room, consider bringing your own corkscrew, unless you are adept with the type they usually supply.

Clothes pins for the chorus line of swim suits and other wet clothes that seem to accumulate. Without the pins, everything seems to bunch together in the middle of the pull-out clothes line over the bathtub.

I have been researching over the door hooks or notched hangers to optimize space. I was thinking they might be a good place to hang robes? There are also over the door shoe hangers and other organizers. What do people think of them? Can you get ship doors closed with those hangers?

Thanks

Whether the kind that have what amounts to a wire hanger curve on top will work may vary from ship to ship, and door to door. I've found that the flat kind can fit over most doors, including those on ships. Bring some flat over-door hangers, then hang your shoe holder on that.

You might also try the heavy-duty versions of those hooks that Scotch puts out--the kind that use an adhesive piece that you can pull off when you are finished. We found that they were able to hang robes.

Whether the kind that have what amounts to a wire hanger curve on top will work may vary from ship to ship, and door to door. I've found that the flat kind can fit over most doors, including those on ships. Bring some flat over-door hangers, then hang your shoe holder on that.

You might also try the heavy-duty versions of those hooks that Scotch puts out--the kind that use an adhesive piece that you can pull off when you are finished. We found that they were able to hang robes.

We always cruise with a shoe bag with a wire hanger curve on top to hang on the outside of the bathroom door, which still closes. Invaluable for those small things that get mislaid: camera, sunglasses, etc, and we also add our pill bottles...

• 1 year later...

We also bring a shoe hanger with a single big hook and clear plastic 'sleeves' to store all our small miscellaneous stuff (umbrellas, folding hats, little purses, eyeglass repair kit, sewing kit, extra glasses, extension cord, etc.) as drawer space is not that prevalent - it gets hung from one of the robe hooks in the bedroom. We bring scotch tape for inside the closet doors for things like the itinerary, the map, formal night list, etc. Also bring hangers for multiple hangers then you unhook one side to maximize closet space, plus flocked hangers for 'slippery' clothes. Extra meds, etc go into a plastic shoebox so if there is a leak, we are okay and of course, extra storage in suitcases under the bed. I try to rotate clothes once or twice during the cruise as get tired of the same stuff for dinner

Hangers.jpg.9b6e88fcb149b20fe2c5a2dc02e1aa75.jpg

• 5 months later...
Aren't the closet doors the sliding kind tho?

Which ship cabins have sliding closet doors? None that we've ever had, but we've never cruised in categories higher than balcony and have never cruised on Cunard or Princess. Do they have sliding closet doors??

Which ship cabins have sliding closet doors? None that we've ever had, but we've never cruised in categories higher than balcony and have never cruised on Cunard or Princess. Do they have sliding closet doors??

Cunard does not have sliding closet doors.

Crystal has sliding closet doors in their standard staterooms.

Keith

• 4 weeks later...

Returned this fall from eight weeks aboard the Prinsendam where there are sliding closet doors in the cabin I had on Deck 9.