Soft sided cooler?

roseaxel

We have a soft side cooler that is about 16" wide, 12" high and about 6" deep. It is supposed to hold a 12 pack. It is really not any bigger than some purses I've seen, or a diaper bag. Will this be allowed as a carryon? I've read that coolers can be no larger than 12x12, but since this is soft sided and not rigid construction, will it be ok?

Pack it in your luggage or carryon . Take the sodas as carry on. That can avoid someone with a tape measure deciding that you have to leave it behind.

DW had a pair of scissors that she had taken on many cruises confiscated in Miami. Security said they were too long. We asked what the maximum length was and was told "These are too long." I guess the security gal has a nice pair of scissors now.

Charlie

Pack it in your luggage or carryon . Take the sodas as carry on. That can avoid someone with a tape measure deciding that you have to leave it behind.

DW had a pair of scissors that she had taken on many cruises confiscated in Miami. Security said they were too long. We asked what the maximum length was and was told "These are too long." I guess the security gal has a nice pair of scissors now.

Charlie

I had the same issue with scissors .... finally let me.

Miami took both my corkscrews as well and I know the pointy part couldnt have been more than 4 inches long.

I just wanted to board and quit arguing and gave them up.

I had the same issue with scissors .... finally let me.

Miami took both my corkscrews as well and I know the pointy part couldnt have been more than 4 inches long.

I just wanted to board and quit arguing and gave them up.

That's what we did. She did offer that we could take them back to our car:rolleyes: Uhhh... yeah it's in Ohio; we're in Miami.

Charlie

If you don't need to take your ice chest off the ship or out of your cabin, consider this.. an inflatable cooler chest. Takes no room packing and you can just leave it there when your cruise is over...

http://business-and-office-products.become.com/blow-up-inflatable-field-goal-football-cooler--compare-prices--sc921216157

I'm wondering if they'll even realize it is a cooler. It really just looks like a tote bag. It won't have ice in it. I don't want to pack it, since I am bringing assorted beverages,(some cokes, some juice, some water) and it is a convenient, sturdy way to carry all this, instead of flimsy plastic bags. I guess I'll just bring it and hope for the best. I'll also leave some other bags in the car in case we can't carry it on.

I'm wondering if they'll even realize it is a cooler. It really just looks like a tote bag. It won't have ice in it. I don't want to pack it, since I am bringing assorted beverages,(some cokes, some juice, some water) and it is a convenient, sturdy way to carry all this, instead of flimsy plastic bags. I guess I'll just bring it and hope for the best. I'll also leave some other bags in the car in case we can't carry it on.

I have one that sounds very similar to yours and have wheeled it on with sodas inside (no ice) and had no problems. It has wheels and a handle and to me, looks like carry-on/backpack on wheels. But be warned, every port and every employee, for that matter, seems to have their own personal version of Carnival policy, be it real or imaginary.

If you decide to do this, knowing it is oversized and that it may be taken away from you, be sure you have something else to put the sodas in when they take the cooler.

We had a soft-sided cooler about the exact same size that I had the same concerns about prior to our cruise on the Paradise last year. We carried it on with absolutely no problem. They didn't even look inside it..

Same here...I put it through the scanner, the dude looked at the XRAY screen, glanced at me, I took the cooler off and away I went. They didn't open it or ask any questions.

If you have beverages in it, they will know it's a cooler. My daughter barely got one, similar to what youre describing, through. She had clothes packed in it so that it didnt at all look like a cooler. They FINAALY relented and let it through.

I can understand putting limitations on the size of a cooler brought on ship. But when the cooler is no bigger than a tote bag or other carry-on item someone might bring, it should be allowed through. I really don't want to have to go back to the car and leave the cooler and re-bag the beverage items if they decide it is too large. What if I carried the cooler empty and carried the beverages separate? Then once I am through security, I can put the beverages into the cooler, which is sturdy and would be easier to carry onto the ship, and around the ship, until our cabin is open?

I can understand putting limitations on the size of a cooler brought on ship. But when the cooler is no bigger than a tote bag or other carry-on item someone might bring, it should be allowed through. I really don't want to have to go back to the car and leave the cooler and re-bag the beverage items if they decide it is too large. What if I carried the cooler empty and carried the beverages separate? Then once I am through security, I can put the beverages into the cooler, which is sturdy and would be easier to carry onto the ship, and around the ship, until our cabin is open?

I completely understand what you're saying. I know what Carnival is trying to limit...those big bulky hard-sided coolers one would take on a picnic. I get that. But as I and several other folks have mentioned on this and previous threads, sadly, the Carnie folks individually interpret policy as they see fit. Drives me nuts!!!!!:eek: I see you'll be going out of Jax. Not sure about Jax but most complaints I've seen on the boards stem from Galvaston and NOLA ports. So maybe that's a nod in your favor.:) Good Luck!

We had one exactly like yours. We packed it empty in a carrryon bag and the drinks separate and did not have a problem.

Our only issue with security was that they made us dump out my toddler's sippy cup which was full of water. He's a pretty good kid but he freaked out and started crying until after we got through security, got out a bottle of water and filled up his cup again.

What do they think is in a cup that a 3 year old is currently drinking from? Vodka? Explosives? Seriously.

Archived