Norway January 29- February 9, 2016

Smbruner

My husband and I are booked on the Midnatsol for 11 days to try to see the Northern Lights. (fingers crossed)

We live in Southern California so snow in the winter for us is not normal.

I want to get some good boots to have that will allow me to walk easily on the iced streets of Norway and perhaps in small amounts of snow as needed. I'm 63.

Does anyone know of a maker of boots that would be good to take along? I've thought about Hunter Boots but don't know if they will stop me from sliding all over the place on the ice.

Thanks in advance,

My husband and I are booked on the Midnatsol for 11 days to try to see the Northern Lights. (fingers crossed)

We live in Southern California so snow in the winter for us is not normal.

I want to get some good boots to have that will allow me to walk easily on the iced streets of Norway and perhaps in small amounts of snow as needed. I'm 63.

Does anyone know of a maker of boots that would be good to take along? I've thought about Hunter Boots but don't know if they will stop me from sliding all over the place on the ice.

Thanks in advance,

I also live in SoCal and took the 12 day trip Dec 2012/Jan 2013 on the Midnatsol.

More than boots, you need crampons for walking on the icy streets. I just googled crampons for shoes, and found several styles online at LL Bean. The ones I used were the Yaktrax. I also had a walking stick with me. The stick helped, but the crampons were a must.

For boots, you need something warm - I had two different kinds with me - hiking boots and felt lined rain boots. The rain boots were easier to get on and off, but both worked. I had extra luggage space, so decided to take both pairs of boots - I certainly didn't need them. Even when I wore the lug-soled hiking boots, I used the crampons - the streets and sidewalks are very icy.

Hope this information helps - I absolutely loved the trip.

Thank you for your quick reply, I figured it best to purchase the boots soon since they will be in the stores this fall.

What kind of rain boots did you take and did the crampons work with them? I'd like to just take one type of boots if possible.

Thanks again!

The rain boots were borrowed from my daughter and she isn't available for me to ask her. I just googled fleece lined rain boots and saw quite a few varieties on zapposdotcom. The key features for me were warm (the fleece lining does that), good tread on the soles, and water proof - it snowed in some ports, rained in others, and the streets were icy in most ports. I had no trouble getting the crampons over the boots. I totally agree about taking just one pair of boots. I used the rain boots more since they were easier to get on and off.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm taking this trip in early March. I just ordered yaktrax pro...(they have a strap to keep them on) on Amazon. For boots I bought Ugg Adirondack... But I live in Michigan, so they will get plenty of use. You might want to look at sorel boots...great for cold snowy weather...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My sorel caribou boots arrived today. Think I'll leave the uggs home and take these instead for the really cold weather. They seem like the perfect boot. Waterproof, felt lining and large enough for a wool sock as well if you order half size larger..

Edited by bobbisailsolo

My sorel caribou boots arrived today. Think I'll leave the uggs home and take these instead for the really cold weather. They seem like the perfect boot. Waterproof, felt lining and large enough for a wool sock as well if you order half size larger..

Sounds perfect!