Tex Mex Restaurant?

Zeta3

Am I crazy or did Norwegian used to have a Tex Mex style restaurant? I swear I remember having an awesome grilled meat entree that came on line a multi-tiered rack. Anybody remember this or did I visit an alternate universe? :)

Am I crazy or did Norwegian used to have a Tex Mex style restaurant? I swear I remember having an awesome grilled meat entree that came on line a multi-tiered rack. Anybody remember this or did I visit an alternate universe? :)
Yes, I remember it on my first NCL cruise. It was gone by my second. Not sure, but did Moderno replace it? Edited by NLH Arizona

I'll say an alternate universe ;) :cool:

They now have Moderno Churrascaria, Brazilian steakhouse.

Meats are brought out on skewers and sliced table side.

Edited by Philob

The Dawn had this restaurant. They served tapas and also had a regular menu to order from.

Does that restaurant serve lunch? If so, would it be open when docked in Bermuda?

It was NOT Tex-Mex - at least nothing that tastes like the Tex-Mex here in Texas. It was called Paniola's Tapas and Salsa and was billed as "Latin food" and not very good, at that. They had Tapas they claimed were hot in spicy, but were, in fact, blah and so-so. The restaurant was replaced by Moderno. This was the menu:

Pride of Hawaii (Now the NCL Jade) - Paniolo Tapas & Salsa Restaurant

We invite you to experience the best of the Southwest with these sizzling hot Tex-Mex dishes from South of the Border.

Aperitivos – Appetizers

Taquitos – BBQ Port Taquitos, Spicy Chipotle Dipping Sauce

Chili con Queso – Tex-Mex Favorite Bowl of Chili Melted Cheddar Cheese & Trotilla chips

Ceviche Cocktail – Grouper, Green Onion and Mango Ceviche, Crisp Plantain Chips

Quesadillas – Grilled Chicken Quesadilla, Tomatillo-Corn and Black Bean Salsa

or Cheese Quesadillas, Tomato Salsa and Guacamole

Nachos – Lagoon Nachos piled high with Pico de Gallo Melted Jack Cheese and Sour Cream

Ensaladas y Sopas – Salads and Soups

Tortilla Soup – Piquant Tortilla soup, Fried Texas Tortilla Grass

Gazpacho – Chilled Melon, Crab and Cilantro-Pepper Salad

Tijuana Caesar Salad – Anchovies, Garlic Croutons and Shaved Parmesan Cheese - Add Chicken or Tequila-spiced Skirt Steak

Taco Salad – Chopped House Salad, Tomatoes, Green Onions, Jalapeno and Blue Cheese, Avocado-Lime Dressing

Platos Principales – Main Dishes

Pan Seared Mahi Mahi – Chili Fritters and Avocado-Macadamia Nut Relish

Big Tex Beef Burrito – Tender Chili Braised Beef Burrito, Refried Beans and El Paso Corn Salsa

Sizzling House Fajitas – Choice of Chicken or Shrimp served on a sizzling platter, Refried Beans, pico de gallo, Guacamole and Sour Cream

Churrasco Fire Star – Grilled Tequila-spiced Skirt Steak, Grilled Papaya, Mexican Rice, Refried Beans, Salsa Ranchero and Guacamole

The Chimidog – Deep Fried Cheese Dog wrapped in a Flour Tortilla, French Fries

Texas Burger – Braised Chipotle Short Rib, Avocado, Melted Jack Cheese, Cumin spiced Fries and Down South Coleslaw

Vegetable Enchiladas Rojas – Spicy Vegetables and Melted Cheese-Filled Corn Tortillas, Black Bean and Chili Rice

Postres – Desserts

Pina Colada Cup – Coconut Sorbet

Caramel Flan with Chocolate Dipped Tortillas

Mexican Cinnamon Churros with Vanilla Ice Cream

Apple-Pecan Pie with Whipped Cream and Cranberry Compote

Daily Ice Cream Selection

It was NOT Tex-Mex - at least nothing that tastes like the Tex-Mex here in Texas. It was called Paniola's Tapas and Salsa and was billed as "Latin food" and not very good, at that. They had Tapas they claimed were hot in spicy, but were, in fact, blah and so-so. The restaurant was replaced by Moderno. This was the menu:

Pride of Hawaii (Now the NCL Jade) - Paniolo Tapas & Salsa Restaurant

We invite you to experience the best of the Southwest with these sizzling hot Tex-Mex dishes from South of the Border.

Aperitivos – Appetizers

Taquitos – BBQ Port Taquitos, Spicy Chipotle Dipping Sauce

Chili con Queso – Tex-Mex Favorite Bowl of Chili Melted Cheddar Cheese & Trotilla chips

Ceviche Cocktail – Grouper, Green Onion and Mango Ceviche, Crisp Plantain Chips

Quesadillas – Grilled Chicken Quesadilla, Tomatillo-Corn and Black Bean Salsa

or Cheese Quesadillas, Tomato Salsa and Guacamole

Nachos – Lagoon Nachos piled high with Pico de Gallo Melted Jack Cheese and Sour Cream

Ensaladas y Sopas – Salads and Soups

Tortilla Soup – Piquant Tortilla soup, Fried Texas Tortilla Grass

Gazpacho – Chilled Melon, Crab and Cilantro-Pepper Salad

Tijuana Caesar Salad – Anchovies, Garlic Croutons and Shaved Parmesan Cheese - Add Chicken or Tequila-spiced Skirt Steak

Taco Salad – Chopped House Salad, Tomatoes, Green Onions, Jalapeno and Blue Cheese, Avocado-Lime Dressing

Platos Principales – Main Dishes

Pan Seared Mahi Mahi – Chili Fritters and Avocado-Macadamia Nut Relish

Big Tex Beef Burrito – Tender Chili Braised Beef Burrito, Refried Beans and El Paso Corn Salsa

Sizzling House Fajitas – Choice of Chicken or Shrimp served on a sizzling platter, Refried Beans, pico de gallo, Guacamole and Sour Cream

Churrasco Fire Star – Grilled Tequila-spiced Skirt Steak, Grilled Papaya, Mexican Rice, Refried Beans, Salsa Ranchero and Guacamole

The Chimidog – Deep Fried Cheese Dog wrapped in a Flour Tortilla, French Fries

Texas Burger – Braised Chipotle Short Rib, Avocado, Melted Jack Cheese, Cumin spiced Fries and Down South Coleslaw

Vegetable Enchiladas Rojas – Spicy Vegetables and Melted Cheese-Filled Corn Tortillas, Black Bean and Chili Rice

Postres – Desserts

Pina Colada Cup – Coconut Sorbet

Caramel Flan with Chocolate Dipped Tortillas

Mexican Cinnamon Churros with Vanilla Ice Cream

Apple-Pecan Pie with Whipped Cream and Cranberry Compote

Daily Ice Cream Selection

Jewel and Dawn did both have Tex-Mex venues that were not to be confused with the Spanish Tapas restaurant like on the Sun.

This Texan agrees Tango and/or Mambo were not as authentic as the ones in Texas. But it was ok. Salsa and guac were pretty lame but the tortilla soup and desserts were good. But "Il Popo" was the signature dish and it was yummmmy.

Jewel and Dawn did both have Tex-Mex venues that were not to be confused with the Spanish Tapas restaurant like on the Sun.

This Texan agrees Tango and/or Mambo were not as authentic as the ones in Texas. But it was ok. Salsa and guac were pretty lame but the tortilla soup and desserts were good. But "Il Popo" was the signature dish and it was yummmmy.

Yes that's it! Tangos on the Jewel and it was the Il Popo. Found the menu on Beyondships. So good! I miss that place.

I remember there being one on the Star on one of the floors of the atrium; our first cruise. Don't remember the name of it, but the food was ok, not great. I remember the beef in my entree being really tough. The waiter saw me struggling and asked if there was a problem. He then brought out the similar chicken dish which was very much better. Still, it was nice for a change of pace.

Would Tex-Mex be open for lunch and, if so, when docked in Bermuda?

I live in the Northeast and most of my friends don't care for Tex-Mex food. I'd love to enjoy a lunch there when on Dawn.

I ate at Tangos on the Jewel. It was very good. The ribs were delicious. They also served you with a mini margarita as you were seated (included in the small $10 cover charge)

***Sigh****** those were the days :)

Ahhh yes. If memory serves me correctly this restaurant and La Cucina used to be complimentary on the Dawn when she first started sailing from NY.

Would Tex-Mex be open for lunch and, if so, when docked in Bermuda?

I live in the Northeast and most of my friends don't care for Tex-Mex food. I'd love to enjoy a lunch there when on Dawn.

Sail, Tangos on the Dawn has been replaced with Moderno Churrascaria, a Brazilian restaurant, and I don't believe it is open during the day. Hopefully someone can tell you which restaurants will be open during the days you are in Bermuda.

There was definitely a restaurant called Salsas on the Dawn (06/07) that claimed to be tapas, but was definitely more Tex-mex. I had fajitas that were not very good. The claimed you could get tapas at the bar, which were free. Moderno eventually replaced it.

Yes, the Jewel had one I know and I didn't think it was very good. The Star also had one, it was better but never very busy. I guess they just didn't go over with NCL cruisers.