Killing time in Seattle before cruise ideas?

KimB730

We will be flying into Seattle a day and a half early to catch a Sunday departure (arriving on July 31, cruise leaving on Aug. 2). We will be staying at the Hampton Inn downtown, but will not be renting a car. Any ideas of things we can do/see for the day (or Fri. or Sat. night)? Recommended day tours, etc. would be appreciated! Thanks ahead of time for replying to my thread!

We will be flying into Seattle a day and a half early to catch a Sunday departure (arriving on July 31, cruise leaving on Aug. 2). We will be staying at the Hampton Inn downtown, but will not be renting a car. Any ideas of things we can do/see for the day (or Fri. or Sat. night)? Recommended day tours, etc. would be appreciated! Thanks ahead of time for replying to my thread!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=413 This forum has a bunch of good ideas in regards to things to do in the Emerald City..

If you want to try something different you might a tour of Seattle on a duck (no, not the feathery kind!) Here's their website. http://www.ridetheducksofseattle.com/

It's different and you might find it enjoyable.

Tom

If you like wine, Seattle Wine Tour is a great way to spend the day. You are driven in a limo to three or four vineyards with great wines. Lots of sampling and wonderful snacks... we were also lucky to arrive when the lavender fields were in bloom... our guide encouraged us to include a stop and in the words of my wife "this must be what heaven is like"! We concluded our day with our guide taking us to several Seattle highlights it made the day one we will always remember.

What great ideas! I appreciate the responses I have received so far. I will start checking into several of them and see which ones will work best for our family (ages, etc.)

Would love to continue to hear about more though.....thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

because it was so clear when we got to Seattle on July 2, my granddaughter and I walked from our downtown hotel to Space Needle, got a City Pass (which gave us 2 times to go up to top - we did one right then and one at sunset). We also went to the Chuhily Glass Museum(ticket included in city pass) (we spent about 45 minutes there, but you could spend more time).

We went back to our hotel, swam in the pool, had dinner and took monorail back to Space Needle for sunset viewing.

Next day,

On a recommendation, we took the Duck Tour - fun, fun ride - driver/captain entertains the whole way.(separate ticket)

We both found market boring, she (11) way more boring that I did.

With City Pass, we also had tickets to aquarium - some interesting exhibits, we spent about 2 hours in there.

We went on the Big Wheel - cool ride, interesting views.(separate ticket)

We also did an evening cruise with Argosy, ticket included.

If you get city pass at Space Needle, you make your reservation times right then. Then you'll need reservation time for Argosy. Duck Tour also fills up quickly - but we used the hour wait to walk to the market and back.

because it was so clear when we got to Seattle on July 2, my granddaughter and I walked from our downtown hotel to Space Needle, got a City Pass (which gave us 2 times to go up to top - we did one right then and one at sunset). We also went to the Chuhily Glass Museum(ticket included in city pass) (we spent about 45 minutes there, but you could spend more time).

We went back to our hotel, swam in the pool, had dinner and took monorail back to Space Needle for sunset viewing.

Next day,

On a recommendation, we took the Duck Tour - fun, fun ride - driver/captain entertains the whole way.(separate ticket)

We both found market boring, she (11) way more boring that I did.

With City Pass, we also had tickets to aquarium - some interesting exhibits, we spent about 2 hours in there.

We went on the Big Wheel - cool ride, interesting views.(separate ticket)

We also did an evening cruise with Argosy, ticket included.

If you get city pass at Space Needle, you make your reservation times right then. Then you'll need reservation time for Argosy. Duck Tour also fills up quickly - but we used the hour wait to walk to the market and back.

How much?

How much?

City Pass that I bought was $118, one adult, one child - not sure if there were 2 different prices.

for that you got 2 entrances to Space Needle,

choice of EMP Museum or Zoo,

choice of Chihuly Glass or Pacific Science Center

Seattle Aquarium

Argosy Cruises Harbor Tour

The Duck Tour was $54.01 for both of us.

City Pass that I bought was $118, one adult, one child - not sure if there were 2 different prices.

for that you got 2 entrances to Space Needle,

choice of EMP Museum or Zoo,

choice of Chihuly Glass or Pacific Science Center

Seattle Aquarium

Argosy Cruises Harbor Tour

The Duck Tour was $54.01 for both of us.

Thanks!

What an excellent idea. I really appreciate your taking time to pass on such great information. Thank-you, thank-you Genessa!!

you are very welcome! I have gotten such wonderful info here and I like to share the favor whenever I can.

Enjoy!

Go to Pikes Place and watch them throw the big fish! The whole area there is nice to explore.

Space Needle is OK too, good view from the top.

I see your sailing today but this may help someone else going soon.

This is exactly what we did last week, but post-cruise. But these two venues won't really fill up a day and half of time. I think you'll need an additional plan or two. If you your plans are the space needle, I wouldn't waste the $15 for the "London Eye" ferris wheel. Kind of counter productive if your gonna go up 605 feet and get a much better view.

We bought a King Salmon from Pikes Market and got the entire show with it. Won't be the cheapest fish you buy and ship (but certainly the freshest), but we sent it to friends back home as a gift who we're baby sitting our dog. Takes skills to catch a 15 lb King Salmon with one hand. The guy helping us says once in a while one "gets away" and someone in the crowd gets a fish in their lap (or chest, or head. LOL).

If you like coffee, you can stand in line (a long line) to get into the original Starbucks coffee house. I didn't need a coffee that bad. Steve

Edited by Supercharged86

• 1 month later...