The Official Unofficial Journey Drydock Thread !

Andy

Hi Everyone,

I thought it would be fun to start a Drydock thread, as Journey begins her reimagination today 01/13/16. She's at Port of Miami at the moment, but will be headed to the Grand Bahama shipyard in Freeport, in a few hours.

As photos are posted, I plan to share them with our community. I sincerely hope Bonnie will also share whatever photos/updates are available.

Please join me in wishing everyone at Azamara, and the Journey Officers & Crew a very smooth and successful Drydock.

BTW, I'm onboard Journey's first sailing post Drydock, and I will be posting Live from the ship. Please look for my "Live From Journey" thread, on or about the 27th of January !

Great ideas Host Andy.

Looking forward to all of your posts.

Also suggest that following the Journey Twitter provides amusing and informative photos. The most recent is of CD Eric deGray in his new role as "foreman" of the reimagining.

BTW, hard to imagine - but Eric is one of Azamara's many superstars, that I have not met yet. I'm eagerly looking forward to meeting Eric, when we board Journey in 2 weeks.

Did I just say 2 weeks ???? Yay :)

Thanks Andy:cool: if I see any good photos not already seen here I'll post them.

Phil

Yes, by all means Phil - Please do. Work is extremely busy, so I can use all the help I can get :)

I totally realize that team Journey will be super busy.... but I also know that both Azamara corporate, and many of Journey's onboard folks are super friendly to Social Media... so I'm hopeful they will keep the information and visuals coming.

In addition to the crew of 400 there will be 600 contractors from around the world working on the dry dock. Had a very interesting discussion with executive chef Fabio while on the December Transatlantic since he was then ordering the provisions for the dry dock. Also of note, is the fact that the crew and contractors will be sleeping on a RCCL ship that is also in the Nassau shipyard. That will allow a much more accelerated work schedule. Good luck, and be safe, to all those involved.

Thanks Andy.

It's 6 months before we cruise everything will be well worn in by then.

Question

Does the orange safety hat make Eric 5 feet 20 inches ?

LOL. One thing is for sure... for most of us, Eric is someone to look up to :)

In addition to the crew of 400 there will be 600 contractors from around the world working on the dry dock. Had a very interesting discussion with executive chef Fabio while on the December Transatlantic since he was then ordering the provisions for the dry dock. Also of note, is the fact that the crew and contractors will be sleeping on a RCCL ship that is also in the Nassau shipyard. That will allow a much more accelerated work schedule. Good luck, and be safe, to all those involved.

Hi BillC,

Interesting information. I hadn't heard of the crew and contractors sleeping on a RCCL ship... but it sounds like smart planning, and should allow them to proceed at a quicker pace. Thanks for sharing !

Edited by Host Andy

Hi Everyone,

I thought it would be fun to start a Drydock thread, as Journey begins her reimagination today 01/13/16. She's at Port of Miami at the moment, but will be headed to the Grand Bahama shipyard in Freeport, in a few hours.

As photos are posted, I plan to share them with our community. I sincerely hope Bonnie will also share whatever photos/updates are available.

Please join me in wishing everyone at Azamara, and the Journey Officers & Crew a very smooth and successful Drydock.

BTW, I'm onboard Journey's first sailing post Drydock, and I will be posting Live from the ship. Please look for my "Live From Journey" thread, on or about the 27th of January !

Looking forward to all your updates Andy. Thanks :)

Great idea Andy, looking forward to all these posts and of course also your live blog from the first cruise after drydock.

Wishing all the people working hard in dry dock good luck and success.

Germany is also watching out for the renovated Azamara Diamonds.

Kind regards from Germany, Marita

Add me to the list of those interested as we board the Journey on April 5 (along with Phil, LuAnn, et. al.)

We'll also be joining you on April 5.

Today in the mail we received a brochure - "Reimagine Azamara" - with lots of pictures - I guess they are the renderings. I notice that in all pictures of cabins, there is no mirror over the vanity/desk. Could this be an oversight in the renderings? I really need a mirror there for hair drying/makeup in order to free up the bathroom for DH.

Thank you everyone for your very kind and supportive comments.

Now, if I can only figure out how to make the next 2 weeks move quicker - that would be awesome :). Words cannot describe how eager I am, to see the reimagined Journey, and sail with Captain Johannes, Hotel Directors Heike & Ryszard, and the incredible Journey team.

I believe we can all agree that much is at stake here. I'm hoping for a very successful drydock, and, for guests to love the results. I truly believe this will lead to additional exciting developments in Azamara's future. Hopefully, this is only the beginning...

I'm *super excited* about sharing updates from Journey. If you've read my "Live from" threads over the years, you know that I put a great deal of effort into this. It's not an easy undertaking, and it takes a bit of time away from my vacation. With that said, it's all good, as I'm passionate about keeping our community updated with the latest information.

In the meantime, we look forward to progress reports from the shipyard. Thanks again to Bonnie, the Journey team, and Azamara for providing updates.

Andy, your first task will be to make sure they've taken that flippin' mural off the wall in Discoveries;)

Phil

On the recent transatlantic from Barcelona to Miami, there was no professional tutor for the art class so OH suggested that a project could be be the painting of a new mural in Discoveries. Whilst the class were in agreement, the tutor wouldn't allow it. :D

I just disembarked the Journey this morning and they were all busy from the middle of the night preparing to go to work. The crew will all be helping in different ways to get it all done and they seem quite excited about it. Hope to get on the Journey soon to see the new look. Will look forward to the postings over the next two weeks.

That's amazing. I was not aware that all the crew were involved in drydock.

Andy, thank you for starting this thread and I'll definitely be following your live review.

We're so looking forward to our August cruise. Unfortunately, Johannes and Eric will not be on our sailing. ☹️

Edited by midwestchick