What to do in Harwich Colchester Ipswich on a B2B cruise. cruise

We are doing a back to back on Celebrity and will be in Harwich fro 8:30 until 4:00. Does anyone have suggestions as to what to do in that time frame? We would like to be back on she ship by 3:30 pm. The ship sails at 4:30.

We are also doing the B2B in May and plan to take the train to Colchester. It is a very historic town, one of the oldest in England.

Colchester is the oldest record town in Britain so does have a lot of history with the main attraction being the Norman castle build on the ruins of Roman Temple of Claudius. At present that is shut for renovation works until 2014 however the castle park itself you can walk around and is lovelly in the summer months, May in recent years has been our best month.

Colchester is also currounded by a Roman wall, a good place to view this might be the Blakern gate (not the pub with the same name and miles out of town) next a pub called the hole in the wall. Places such as the Dutch quarter and red lion walk are also popular to visit.

There is also a new art place called Firstsite, i have not been there myself but has had some good reviews.

To get from Harwich its pretty simple, sometimes there are direct trains but its more likely you will have to change at Manningtree.

Have fun.

I also live in this area and would be happy to offer some ideas for places to visit other than Colchester. As the previous poster notes, the Castle is closed this year.

I have just cruised with some people doing the b2b in July and have offered to show them around. A drive through some quaint villages would take you to Flatford and Dedham,where John Constable painted. Also, Lavenham or Long Melford, beautiful 15th. century medieval villages are possible. If I can be of any other help, do email me.

waggie1951@gmail.com

• 1 month later...
I also live in this area and would be happy to offer some ideas for places to visit other than Colchester. As the previous poster notes, the Castle is closed this year.

I have just cruised with some people doing the b2b in July and have offered to show them around. A drive through some quaint villages would take you to Flatford and Dedham,where John Constable painted. Also, Lavenham or Long Melford, beautiful 15th. century medieval villages are possible. If I can be of any other help, do email me.

waggie1951@gmail.com

Hi, anyone on B2B May 13, 2013 Harwich interested in private tour? Waggie can take 10 on a bus. Email her, so far we only have two interested and stops are open to suggestions. Thank you, Pat

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately I was not able to secure a minicoach in time for the date and cannot offer the tour on 13th. May.

I would be happy to assist in forwarding web pages of local interest to you all,

Have a wonderful cruise and safe travels!

Archived