Were you on the Disney Wonder in Nassau on March 28?

blackwing

I was on the Norwegian Getaway. When we docked in Nassau we were parked by the Disney Wonder and the Disney Dream.

Just curious, what exactly happened? I didn't stick around to find out. The guard said the ship would not wait, but then we later saw that as it was maneuvering to turn around, it stopped completely. Did a tender boat take this family out to the ship?

Lesson learned, always be on board with plenty of time. I find the ships usually depart about 30 minutes after they say everyone should be back on board, so they apparently probably had a 4:00 onboard time and were 30 minutes late. I bet those parents will never make that mistake again.

A lot of times, if a person/family is late to the ship, and can see it, someone will contact the ships agent, who contacts the ship, which will slow or even stop at the entrance to the channel out of the way. If the affected people can play lets make a deal, a lot of times the pilot boat which has to go to the ship anyway to pick up the pilot will run the people out to the ship. If not your basically on your own dime to get to the next port.

Ive always told my family when we are wandering a port on our own, to be back at the ship at least 1 hour prior to the All Aboard Time, just in case.

Disney Will Not leave port if a child is onboard and both parents happen to be ashore.

ScottDVC

I've read this on other boards, but don't know if it is accurate or not. It certainly makes sense!

Now to complicate--what if a child is cruising with only one parent? What if there is a parent and a grand parent?

? is this a policy? And if so, is that policy that they will not pull away if a child is on board with out a parent or other responsible person on board? NOTHING in this world can be easy!

Have been sailing with DCL 14yrs (27 cruises) and it has happened at least once while I was sailing. The Magic pulled from her berth in St.Thomas and pulled back in after realizing the child's parents were still ashore.

ScottDVC

We were on the Fantasy last year in St Thomas when a family of 5 had clearly not made the all aboard after hearing their names be called several times. Of coarse, at this point everyone on board was watcing out the window to see the crew bring thier luggage and paperwork out to leave for them. Thankfully, we saw them sprinting down the pier...but tjey did have all their belonging out for them.....it was interesting...you could tell but the gestures the crew was upset

I was in Nassau on my last DCL cruise and saw a group being taken to another line by what looked like a pilot boat While standing there watching this scene the man next to me said something like "that's a costly taxi fare" I just laughed but he told me that he had to pay it on his last DCL cruise so...LOL!

He claims they missed the boat due to a broken down taxi (note: I am not sure I believe this part he was quite the partier!) and before the pilot would agree to take them out you have to sign a form which is given to DCL. DCL then charges you the fee that the pilot charges them. I didn't ask how much the fee was, but it looked like a painful memory! :)

• 2 weeks later...
We were on the Fantasy last year in St Thomas when a family of 5 had clearly not made the all aboard after hearing their names be called several times. Of coarse, at this point everyone on board was watcing out the window to see the crew bring thier luggage and paperwork out to leave for them. Thankfully, we saw them sprinting down the pier...but tjey did have all their belonging out for them.....it was interesting...you could tell but the gestures the crew was upset

We were on that cruise and watched it all happen from the top deck! There was a lot of people cheering as they came aboard. That experience made me resolve to finally get a passport, always buy travel insurance, pay extra for the ship's excursions or at least not wander too far from port, and to make sure I have the number of the ship's agent! (I never even knew there was such a thing!) That was nerve wracking waiting and then watching the crew roll their luggage off the ship! I'm happy they made it!

Heres a few examples I found. Not sure on how long the ships may or may not have waited. I think whether a ship waits or not may depend on a few things. Like how far the ship has to go for its next stop, will they get charged for staying later, is the pilot onboard and waiting 10 minutes mean that the ship loses its departure spot and now has to wait say over an hour longer to depart waiting on the pilot to come back..... I can think of other reasons too.