Luminosa great or horrible?

RMS Olympic

I have been reading the reviews and they seem to be at either extreme. Some hated it and said never again. Others say it was a great cruise.

I sailed Costa years back and found the European atmosphere and way of doing things a pleasant change. I personally like things a bit different and don't expect the same old same old Caribbean cruise experience. The ship appears to be very clean.....something important to me. Food although something very personal seems to be "cheap".according to some reviews.

Years ago I found sailing Costa not top cuisine but there were some high points. Beef was poor but the veal superb. Fish dishes fine, poultry hit or miss. Exactly what I would expect traveling in Europe. Entertainment......I prefer a nice piano bar vice a big show. Years ago Costa shows consisted of female dances clad in feathered costumes......uncomplicated but fun.

I never found crew to be rude, nor distant which some current reviews suggest is the case.

So I am stumped as to what to expect on a 10 night Caribbean cruise.

Is the Costa experience really bad? Is it only terrible for those that expect a Royal Caribbean type product? Is it bad if crew don't fuss over passengers and constantly hustle drinks? Are European passenger so rude they can spoil the cruise. I have experienced this on ships but found it the exception not the norm.

So is it bad, is it good, is it hit or miss?

Have the cut backs made the product seem really cheap and not worth the price?

Help me understand .......

I'm not picky.....should I book?????

I use to like Costa before the Carnival take over ...then sailed the Atlantica and hated it. Now many years later I am considering Costa again.......

What to do?

Suggestions please.

PS...wish the Costa Victoria would be brought back to the Caribbean.....sigh.

Tom

Avoid Costa during European vacation time. Did the reviewers note the time of year? You can find reviews about chair hogs, people in scooters, etc, on every board.

Is the reviewer some 300-lb behemoth wanting to waddle from one 10,000 calorie feeding station to the next? Then Costa is not a good choice. I've always found something I liked, I've never gone hungry.

Costa has a different service charge policy. Reviews are usually suspiciously silent on this topic. You're right, don't expect the Royal Caribbean I'm-your-friend, buy-the-drink-of-the-day phoniness.

Costa does make announcements in 5 languages. I have heard some Americans make comments that were downright xenophobic. But the working language for the hotel staff is English, you won't have any problems if you speak clearly and avoid colloquialisms. Shows are geared to a multilingual audience, but music and dancing is second to none. Cunard only rates an honourable mention in comparison, nobody else is anywhere close.

What did the reviewer's travel agent say about the Costa product to them? Costa is not for everyone, usually you'll find a travel agent who didn't know the product or their customer.

The Luminosa is an updated version of the Atlantica. What was it you didn't like?

We haven't been on the Luminosa but found the Victoria to be the worst of the Costa ships that we've sailed. So saying that, you may well enjoy the experience on Luminosa. which I believe is a newer ship.

On the whole, Europeans seem to enjoy Costa but Americans not so much (or do they just complain louder:D:D).

• 3 weeks later...

We came back five weeks ago from our cruise on the luminosa around the Caribbean and we absolutely had the best time. Apart from our cards not showing we were on the all inclusive package when we got on the ship, which Costa quickly rectified. I can't think of anything to moan about. We were two couples in our early 50. There was very few English speaking passengers but I can honestly say everyone was really friendly. We booked a inside classic cabin and got upgraded to a premium outside and we were more than happy. Food was good drinks were excellent never had problems getting a sun bed. Staff were so friendly they got to know us and knew what we drank and didn't even bother taking our cards most of the time. Most of the shows were really good and every night after dinner, we were on the late sitting, there was always some sort of party with dancing going on in one of the bars. We were truly sad to leave. Miami cruise terminal was another story customs was terrible and it took us over a hour to get through, but this is nothing to do with Costa. We have booked favolosa in July for a week and are taking my parents and my two teenage sons.