NZ cruise 'sound' ports

Erikamac

I'm confused how these work...looking at the itinerary they are 1 HR maybe 1.5 hrs.....?!

Not sure that I fully understand your question and/or the specific information needed. If I am guessing correctly, when cruises do sailing through part of the New Zealand South Island, that includes some time billed as "Cruising New Zealand’s Fiordlands National Park". Plus, time doing and seeing Doubtful Sound & Dusky Sound, etc. You do not get off there and/or do any port stops for these regions. Just sailing through these locations.

On our Celebrity Solstice cruise from Sydney to Auckland, we did get off of our ship in the morning during our visit in Milford Sound and go on a two-day ship excursion with an overnight stay in Queenstown. This community, with its dramatic setting on a large lake and facing a massive, sawtooth mountain range, is known as the “crazy capital of the world”. Why? This is where bungee jumping was invented 25 years ago. Plus, many other extreme sports started or are practiced here. We stopped and saw the stone, suspension bridge crossing a scenic river gorge where it all started. But, no bungee jumping for us!! We will also saw an old gold-rush town, a winery and a ranch sheep/dog program.

Others on our ship, stayed on the Solstice and saw lots of natural drama and sights here with the fjords, mountains, water views, etc. Much for these three areas, however, depends on the "weather luck". Lots of rain, fog, etc., in these areas that get much cold and rougher conditions coming up from Antarctica as it meets the warmer conditions from the Pacific Ocean.

More details on our sailing and port experiences are detailed on my live/blog connected below.

Tell us more and we are happy to share more.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 155,884 views for this posting.

yep "scenic" cruising......just sit back and enjoy the views.....

we are doing this in November on Solstice...and even though it is not for very long...although you add it up and then the time from one sound to the next its practically a whole day of scenic cruising..... I am sure this is going to be the biggest highlight of the whole cruise.

cheers

Belinda

yep "scenic" cruising......just sit back and enjoy the views.....

we are doing this in November on Solstice...and even though it is not for very long...although you add it up and then the time from one sound to the next its practically a whole day of scenic cruising..... I am sure this is going to be the biggest highlight of the whole cruise.

cheers

Belinda

We can book our cruise in November, let me know how it goes. I'm struggling btwn this cruise the great barrier reef in March, SE Asia, and South America.