Celebrity Overnight at Barbados - Any Suggestions?

taylortime05

Hi,

We are in Barbados on Dec 16 at 9:00 am and not departing until next day at 1:00 PM.

Any suggestions on what we should not miss while being here? I'd appreciate your input.

I will be going thru this sight and trip advisor too.

Thanks for your input.

Try Lawrence Gap, you have to go by taxi though but there are loads of bars/pubs there and the street food is amazing. We had a taxi from the port and the driver wouldn't take any money until he picked us up later that night. We had a great time

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There is only one place to be on the island on a Friday night: Oistins Fish Fry.

Great food and Bajan music outdoors. Oh, did I mention it is very inexpensive (!)

We never miss it!

These might be a silly question but I have never had an overnight stay at a port. Is this area safe in the evening? Also, do you have any tips on what not to miss during the day?

Thanks

I would consider Oistens safe. The Friday night fish fry is mostly island people and most likely your ship’s crew so I wouldn’t worry at all.

I avoid the isolated beaches on the east coast and the cane fields, especially if you rented a minimoke. We also avoid walking in Bridgetown after dark, otherwise it is a very safe island and well policed.

As far as daytime adventures, there is enough to fill a full week, maybe more.

The big attractions are Harrison’s Caves; Barbados Wildlife Reserve; Crane Beach; Welchman Hall Gully; Andromeda Botanic Gardens; St. James Parish Church; Gun Hill Signal Station; Sunbury Plantation House; St. John's Church; Hunte's Gardens; St. Nicholas Abbey; Bathsheba Beach; Barbados Concorde Experience; Animal Flower Cave……and on and on.

The big draw now seems to be The Boatyard if you just want to chill, but I encourage you to hire a cab and let him take you to some of these other wonderful attractions especially if this is your first time on the island.

The people of Barbados are some of the kindest and most hospitable anywhere in the Caribbean and they truly want you to enjoy yourself. Plus the island is unique and breathtaking.

Please go and enjoy it without fear. :)

These might be a silly question but I have never had an overnight stay at a port. Is this area safe in the evening? Also, do you have any tips on what not to miss during the day?

Thanks

Really don't like this trend of overnights in different ports. We really don't need

All that time in St. Martin. Much rather be at sea.

Taylortime. We are on the same cruise. We will be doing the Fish Fry in Oistins Friday night. During the day, we will be dong the Tiami Catamaran to see the turtles. We are booking it through the ship since we have OBC.

If you're interested in the Fish Fry, we can grab a cab together. Are you attending the Connections party? We can meet then.

The following day, we are just going to walk Bridgetown since it's such a short day unfortunately.

Taylortime. We are on the same cruise. We will be doing the Fish Fry in Oistins Friday night. During the day, we will be dong the Tiami Catamaran to see the turtles. We are booking it through the ship since we have OBC.

If you're interested in the Fish Fry, we can grab a cab together. Are you attending the Connections party? We can meet then.

The following day, we are just going to walk Bridgetown since it's such a short day unfortunately.

Hi, Yes we will be at the connections party and we can meet there. My name is Sue. The Fish Fry sounds like fun and I have had a few people say it's great. I want to wait until I get on board to book a couple of excursions but I wonder how quickly they sell out. Can't wait until Dec!

Hi, Yes we will be at the connections party and we can meet there. My name is Sue. The Fish Fry sounds like fun and I have had a few people say it's great. I want to wait until I get on board to book a couple of excursions but I wonder how quickly they sell out. Can't wait until Dec!

See you at the connections party. Jess

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know how far it is from the ship to Oisten's sounds like a lot of fun

Does anyone know how far it is from the ship to Oisten's sounds like a lot of fun

I copied this from another thread from 2014:

We've just returned from our cruise and went to Oistins last Friday......it was great!! Definitely go if you can as its a true Caribbean experience.

The food was amazing with flying fish, dolphin (not 'Flipper' as they kept saying - it's actually Mahi Mahi), ribs etc on the menu and there was a buzzing atmosphere with visitors and locals mixing together with no problems. The prices are in Barbados dollars but you can easily pay for everything in USD and our meals were approx $13 each. The beers are cheap too with 4 bottles of local Banks for $5 USD.

We got there at about 8pm and it was a half hour taxi journey from the port. Yes, there is some traffic on the way but it wasn't anything to worry about and we kept moving the entire time. The taxi is $10 pp each way if you have 4 or more people in the vehicle. There were only 2 of us and they tried charging us double and even more but we just ambushed another group on the jetty and asked to share a cab Don't get fleeced!!

There are chickens and crabs running around and quite a few patrolling police so it feels very safe. Enjoy and I hope that this review helps, as we didn't know what to expect when we turned up!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Look us up at the Connections Party and maybe we can plan something. I did hear from other reviews that there is much less wait and trafficif you get there early (6pm-ish)

Edited by FlamingJune1967