What would you book online ahead of time to get a discount?

I’d book ________ early if I was offered a discount to do so (choose all that apply):  

351 members have voted

1. 1. I’d book ________ early if I was offered a discount to do so (choose all that apply):

• Shore excursions
    • Spa treatments/salon appointments
    • Alternative dining reservations
    • Baby-sitting services
    • Private pool cabanas
    • In-cabin gifts, like Champagne
    • All of the above
    • None of the above
    • Something else (which I'll post)

Royal Caribbean and Celebrity have announced that cruise travelers who book Alaska shore excursions in advance will save five percent (click here to read full story). This is the first time we’ve seen an early-booking incentive for the purchase of excursions, and we’re wondering what might be next as cruise lines work harder to entice cruise passengers - particularly in struggling regions. Tell us: What would you be willing to book ahead of time if a discount was offered? Vote in our poll and post your opinion below!

I book shore excursions early anyway, so discounted or not would not impact how soon I would book those. I do think discounted charges for alternative restaurants would encourage me to book early. For me, the various dining venues (with surcharges) are the best expense I make on a cruise and any reductions in pricing would result in my booking early.

Michael

I know some cruise lines charge for shore excursions when they are booked. Othe (like Princess) charge the pre-booked excursions to your onboard account. Which camp are RCCL & Celebrity in?

On RCI and Celebrity, you pay for the excursion when you book it. It goes directly on your credit card.

On RCI and Celebrity, you pay for the excursion when you book it. It goes directly on your credit card.

Since they are charging upfront, I can see them offering a discount to get more money early. I am not sure it would benefit Princess to offer a discount since they are not paid until the end of the cruise.

I'd also like to see discounted alcohol pkgs for in-room consumption. We always pre-purchase our favorites so we can have a pre or post dinner cocktail and it would be nice to see a reduction there.

Sorry KruiesKapt, I didn't see your post - mine's almost the very same.

Smooth Sailing! :):):)

Given the exchange rate that Celebrity uses for booking shore excursions early is between 1.25 and 1.50 (I have to have in Canadian funds, as that is what my trip is booked in), a 5% discount wouldn't impact me very much.

I book my Jan 2011 cruise early this year just so I could get my very first HUMP CABIN! Now if I can get a couple of free soda cards to go along with that I would be a very happy camper (opps) change that to a very happy cruiser.

Shore excursions - so far we've booked thru private companies, but if you could book ship excursions in advance for the same price as a private excursion, that would be great.:)

Alcohol - maybe a discount card, I would definitely go for this.;)

We booked 9mths in advance for our next cruise and got the discount of £100 per person per week for the alcohol/soft drinks/coffee package. (£69 instead of £169). Well worth it!-jocap.

I had to vote for the alternative dining and/or spa discount.

We rarely do ship shore excursions, just can't stand to be in those crowded, slow buses for half an experience at twice the price.

Don't have kids that need babysitting, don't need a pool cabana, don't care for their gift selections.

It would be great to get these types of discounts in advance....does Ashley know something we don't ;):)

In addition to shore exercision discounts, I would like to see wine, soda and photo discounts. My husband likes to order a bottle of wine each night with our meal and it does get expensive. I tell him a glass of wine will do but he ignores me anyway. I have booked discounted shore exercisions that Celebrity recently offered. Will book more - we cruise Alaska in July 09.

Archived