Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Critic News & Feature Articles

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Cruise Critic News & Feature Articles Up-to-the minute News & Feature Articles from Cruise Critic

Old June 15th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Sr. Manager, Community
Cruise Critic

Arrow Butlers

Check out this brand-new feature article from Cruise Critic:

Butlers

Old June 15th, 2009, 05:41 PM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
A butler can, among other things:

Draw a bubble bath
Most kids can do this too.

Old June 15th, 2009, 05:47 PM
Administrator

Don't forget what happened in Jack the Bear ("Open the door..." "I don't know how...").

Click to Play!

Old July 8th, 2009, 06:38 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Butlers enhance total experience

Thanks for this great story. A butler is a wonderful amenity on a cruise. They can assist with all details so that guests are free to enjoy their vacation.

Old July 8th, 2009, 06:50 PM
Cool Cruiser

Nice article. We sailed with Azamara last year and our "butler" really was a steward in a nicer uniform. Having said that, he was somewhat more polished, I guess, and he did do a few extra things for us without us even asking. It was kind of a nice touch.
Cruises I have loved… Celebrity Century, "Quest for Clamato" Alaska, June/14; Grand Princess, the line-up cruise, Vancouver-Seattle, May/14; Celebrity Century, California Coastal, Mar/14; Celebrity Solstice, America's Cup/Wine Cruise, Sept/13; Celebrity Eclipse, Southern Caribbean, Apr/13; Diamond Princess, Southbound Alaska, Aug/12; Celebrity Solstice, Western Caribbean, Mar/12; Carnival Freedom, Caribbean, Feb/12; HAL Zaandam, Coastal, May/11; Celebrity Constellation, Caribbean Feb/11; Carnival Splendor, the Powerless, Adrift-at-Sea Cruise Nov/10; Ruby Princess, Caribbean Mar/10; HAL Zaandam, Coastal Oct/09; Grand Princess, Caribbean Mar/09; Celebrity Millenium, Coastal, Sep/08; HAL Oosterdam, Coastal, Apr/08; Azamara Quest, Caribbean Feb/08; Sea Princess, Caribbean Mar/07; Carnival Spirit, Mexico, Dec/06; Celebrity Constellation, Caribbean, Oct/05; Celebrity Mercury, Mexico Mar/05; Carnival Holiday, Caribbean, Oct/04; Cunard Crew Member - “Good Times” - 1987-1989

Ad Sponsored By
Old July 15th, 2009, 05:12 PM
Cool Cruiser

Holland America doesn't have butler service, but they have something better, in my opinion: Concierge Service. If you are fortunate enough to book a Deluxe Suite (or Penthouse -- yikes), the Neptune Lounge and TWO Concierges are at your service. The Concierges are top-notch professionals who handle anything that the Front Office would normally do, and there's no waiting in line. Suite passengers can pop into the Neptune Lounge from about 7:00 am to about 7:00 pm for a latte, a selection of little sandwiches, fruit, or chocolates, the latest HAL brochures, or a good conversation with other suite guests. Best of all, the Concierges are soft-spoken, warm and friendly. We once upgraded a future booking to a suite in order to cruise with an especially wonderful Concierge again. I've never had Butler service, but I think I'd feel like my privacy was being invaded. Not to say I wouldn't try it.

1976 - Pacific Princess - Mexican Riviera
1977 - Pacific Princess - Alaska
1977 - Island Princess - Working Cruise (Mexico)
1978 - Pacific Princess - Panama Canal
2000 Rotterdam - Baltic Treasures
2005 Westerdam - Gems of the Baltic
2006 Zaandam - Alaska Inside Passage
2007 Ryndam - Sea of Cortez
2008 Rotterdam - Black Sea and Egypt
2010 Zaandam - Circle Hawaii
2012 Volendam - Sydney to Vancouver
2013 Emerald Princess - Baltic Gems
2014 Nieuw Amsterdam - Mediterranean Empires

Old August 13th, 2009, 09:32 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Celebrity

I love butlers ever since they assisted us with some difficult tasks - I always travel SS1 on Celebrity, hurray for the butlers!

Sincerely, loyal Celebrity cruiser

Last edited by Controller; August 13th, 2009 at 09:34 AM.

Old August 13th, 2009, 10:00 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMuir View Post
Holland America doesn't have butler service, but they have something better, in my opinion: Concierge Service.
That is the great thing about NCL, they offer both Concierge and Butler service.

PE

Last edited by Planer's Edge; August 13th, 2009 at 10:00 AM.

Old July 26th, 2010, 01:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

There is no mention of the Butler and concierge service for Grill suites on Cunard lines. The Cunard ships provide Butlers to all Princess and Queen's Grill staterooms as well that do everything mentioned in this article.

Tony
"I have come to realise that staggering round a transatlantic liner in a dinner jacket with a martini is the normal, rational, reasonable way to cross the Atlantic. Heading for an airport and strapping yourself to a flimsy aluminium tube is an unfortunate and eccentric aberration". (c. The Man in Seat Sixty One)

Old July 27th, 2010, 08:42 AM
Cool Cruiser

No Butler in Princess Grill but you do have access to the concierge in the Grill's lounge.

Old July 27th, 2010, 12:19 PM
Cool Cruiser

On our one and only (so far) Celebrity cruise, we splurged and got a suite with butler service! He was a lifesaver! (I wish I could remember his name - he was so sweet.) My husband had forgotten the pants to his suit for formal night and didn't realize it until the morning of our first formal night! Our butler was able to get him a tux. The jacket was a little big, but my hubby didn't mind at all given the lateness of the request. Our butler was so upset that he couldn't get just the perfect fit for DH.

I am starting to plan an Alaskan cruise and I very much want to go on Celebrity again. DH and I will be booked in a suite with a butler and the kids will be across the hall or in a cheaper adjoining room! I know we probably won't get the same butler, but the butler we do get has BIG shoes to fill!

CountdownClockCodes.com

Celebrity Millennium 06/13 (50th Birthday and first back to back two week vacation ever in Alaska)

Adventure of the Seas 04/10 (25th Anniversary and first one for the kids Southern Caribbean)
Celebrity Constellation 03/05 (20th Wedding Anniversary Cruise Southern Caribbean)
Crown Jewel 09/93 (get away from the boss part 2 Western Caribbean)
Crown Princess 11/91 (get away from the boss cruise Eastern Caribbean)

Old July 12th, 2011, 01:30 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Butler service

we have traveled with Princess a few times and never got butler service then we went on Norwegian a few months ago and was surprised to have butler service, was absolutely wonderful we felt like royalty. we tend to put deposits down while on cruises so we will be traveling on princess again this year but after the service we got on Norwegain it will be tough to go back.
Star princess 9/2009- Alaska
Norwegian Jade- 2/11- Eastern Mediterean
Caribbean Princess 12/2011-Southern Carribean
Carnival Sensation 8/21/2014-Bahamas (solo)
Norwegian Spirit 12/2014-Canary Islands

Old July 15th, 2011, 02:40 PM
50,000+ Club

Years ago when we sailed on Princess we had butlers. A few were very good. But on one of the ships -- Grand Princess -- there was a female butler who was more interested in chasing the male butlers than taking care of the cabins/passengers assigned to her.