Butlers

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Cruise Critic News & Feature Articles
Up-to-the minute News & Feature Articles from Cruise Critic
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 02:44 PM.
Boston, MA
1,075 Posts
Joined Jul 2007
Don't forget what happened in Jack the Bear ("Open the door..." "I don't know how...").
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Dan Askin
Senior Editor

Click to Play!

18 Posts
Joined May 2008
Thanks for this great story. A butler is a wonderful amenity on a cruise. They can assist with all details so that guests are free to enjoy their vacation.
Vancouver, B.C.
2,402 Posts
Joined Sep 2004
Nice article. We sailed with Azamara last year and our "butler" really was a steward in a nicer uniform. Having said that, he was somewhat more polished, I guess, and he did do a few extra things for us without us even asking. It was kind of a nice touch.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Cruises I have loved… RCL Serenade of the Seas, Caribbean, Dec/16; RCL Enchantment of the Seas, Bahamas, Nov/16; RCL Jewel of the Seas, Pacific Coastal, Sept/15; Celebrity Solstice, Hawaii-Vancouver, Apr/15; Celebrity Century, "Quest for Clamato" Alaska, June/14; Grand Princess, the line-up cruise, Vancouver-Seattle, May/14; Celebrity Century, California Coastal, Mar/14; Celebrity Solstice, America's Cup/Wine Cruise, Sept/13; Celebrity Eclipse, Southern Caribbean, Apr/13; Diamond Princess, Southbound Alaska, Aug/12; Celebrity Solstice, Western Caribbean, Mar/12; Carnival Freedom, Caribbean, Feb/12; HAL Zaandam, Coastal, May/11; Celebrity Constellation, Caribbean Feb/11; Carnival Splendor, the Powerless, Adrift-at-Sea Cruise Nov/10; Ruby Princess, Caribbean Mar/10; HAL Zaandam, Coastal Oct/09; Grand Princess, Caribbean Mar/09; Celebrity Millenium, Coastal, Sep/08; HAL Oosterdam, Coastal, Apr/08; Azamara Quest, Caribbean Feb/08; Sea Princess, Caribbean Mar/07; Carnival Spirit, Mexico, Dec/06; Celebrity Constellation, Caribbean, Oct/05; Celebrity Mercury, Mexico Mar/05; Carnival Holiday, Caribbean, Oct/04; Cunard Crew Member - “Good Times” - 1987-1989
Flagstaff, Arizona
885 Posts
Joined Jun 2005
Holland America doesn't have butler service, but they have something better, in my opinion: Concierge Service. If you are fortunate enough to book a Deluxe Suite (or Penthouse -- yikes), the Neptune Lounge and TWO Concierges are at your service. The Concierges are top-notch professionals who handle anything that the Front Office would normally do, and there's no waiting in line. Suite passengers can pop into the Neptune Lounge from about 7:00 am to about 7:00 pm for a latte, a selection of little sandwiches, fruit, or chocolates, the latest HAL brochures, or a good conversation with other suite guests. Best of all, the Concierges are soft-spoken, warm and friendly. We once upgraded a future booking to a suite in order to cruise with an especially wonderful Concierge again. I've never had Butler service, but I think I'd feel like my privacy was being invaded. Not to say I wouldn't try it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

1976 - Pacific Princess - Mexican Riviera
1977 - Pacific Princess - Alaska
1977 - Island Princess - Working Cruise (Mexico)
1978 - Pacific Princess - Panama Canal
2000 Rotterdam - Baltic Treasures
2005 Westerdam - Gems of the Baltic
2006 Zaandam - Alaska Inside Passage
2007 Ryndam - Sea of Cortez
2008 Rotterdam - Black Sea and Egypt
2010 Zaandam - Circle Hawaii
2012 Volendam - Sydney to Vancouver
2013 Emerald Princess - Baltic Gems
2014 Nieuw Amsterdam - Mediterranean Empires
New York
224 Posts
Joined May 2005
I love butlers ever since they assisted us with some difficult tasks - I always travel SS1 on Celebrity, hurray for the butlers!

Sincerely, loyal Celebrity cruiser
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Over 20 Years of Cruising, 23 on RCCL, 11 on Celebrity and 1 on Cunard.

8,028 Posts
Joined May 2000
Originally posted by MrsMuir
Holland America doesn't have butler service, but they have something better, in my opinion: Concierge Service.
That is the great thing about NCL, they offer both Concierge and Butler service.

PE
Hunter Valley Australia
205 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
There is no mention of the Butler and concierge service for Grill suites on Cunard lines. The Cunard ships provide Butlers to all Princess and Queen's Grill staterooms as well that do everything mentioned in this article.

Tony
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"From personal experience, I now realise that staggering round a transatlantic liner in a dinner jacket with a martini is the normal, rational, reasonable way to cross the Atlantic. Heading for an airport and strapping yourself to a flimsy aluminium tube is an unfortunate and eccentric aberration."(c. The Man in Seat Sixty One)
Leicestershire, UK
1,134 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
No Butler in Princess Grill but you do have access to the concierge in the Grill's lounge.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Glenndale
Georgia
2,723 Posts
Joined Feb 2005
On our one and only (so far) Celebrity cruise, we splurged and got a suite with butler service! He was a lifesaver! (I wish I could remember his name - he was so sweet.) My husband had forgotten the pants to his suit for formal night and didn't realize it until the morning of our first formal night! Our butler was able to get him a tux. The jacket was a little big, but my hubby didn't mind at all given the lateness of the request. Our butler was so upset that he couldn't get just the perfect fit for DH.

I am starting to plan an Alaskan cruise and I very much want to go on Celebrity again. DH and I will be booked in a suite with a butler and the kids will be across the hall or in a cheaper adjoining room! I know we probably won't get the same butler, but the butler we do get has BIG shoes to fill!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
<left>

Carnival Elation 2/16 (35th Class Reunion-bust)
Celebrity Millennium 06/13 (50th Birthday and first back to back two week vacation ever in Alaska)</left>

Adventure of the Seas 04/10 (25th Anniversary and first one for the kids Southern Caribbean)
Celebrity Constellation 03/05 (20th Wedding Anniversary Cruise Southern Caribbean)
Crown Jewel 09/93 (get away from the boss part 2 Western Caribbean)
Crown Princess 11/91 (get away from the boss cruise Eastern Caribbean)
new hampshire
55 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
we have traveled with Princess a few times and never got butler service then we went on Norwegian a few months ago and was surprised to have butler service, was absolutely wonderful we felt like royalty. we tend to put deposits down while on cruises so we will be traveling on princess again this year but after the service we got on Norwegain it will be tough to go back.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Premier cruiseline 4/98- Western Mediterean
Caribbean Princess- 5/2006- Western Caribbean
Caribbean Princess 11/2008-Southern Caribbean
Star princess 9/2009- Alaska
Norwegian Jade- 2/2011- Eastern Mediterean
Caribbean Princess 12/2011-Southern Carribean
Carnival Sensation 8/21/2014-Bahamas (solo)
Norwegian Spirit 12/2014-Canary Islands
Norwegian Sky 8/21/2015- Bahamas
Norwegian Dawn 10/2016-Bermuda

104,774 Posts
Joined Jul 2001
Years ago when we sailed on Princess we had butlers. A few were very good. But on one of the ships -- Grand Princess -- there was a female butler who was more interested in chasing the male butlers than taking care of the cabins/passengers assigned to her.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruising is a wonderful way to enjoy retirement!
Stopped counting a few years ago -- have done over 140 cruises.