Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Discussion Topics > Ask a Cruise Question

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Ask a Cruise Question Post your general cruise questions here.

Old June 22nd, 2009, 12:08 AM
Cool Cruiser

Question Cape Liberty, Bayonne NJ Transfers from Newark Airport

Is it easy to get a cab to transfer from Newark Airport to cruse port in Bayonne, NJ? Am cruising with 12 people on 9/17/09 Explorer of the Seas and booked our own air. Arriving at 11:30 a.m. day of cruise. RCI wants $27.50 per person one way for transfer. Go Airlink NYC would provide a 6 pasenger vehicle for about $20 per person. I don't know the distance from airport to cruiseport or taxi rates. Would appreciate advice from anyone who is familiar with port/airport transfer times and rates. Thanks

Old June 22nd, 2009, 12:22 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Provident View Post
Is it easy to get a cab to transfer from Newark Airport to cruse port in Bayonne, NJ? Am cruising with 12 people on 9/17/09 Explorer of the Seas and booked our own air. Arriving at 11:30 a.m. day of cruise. RCI wants $27.50 per person one way for transfer. Go Airlink NYC would provide a 6 pasenger vehicle for about $20 per person. I don't know the distance from airport to cruiseport or taxi rates. Would appreciate advice from anyone who is familiar with port/airport transfer times and rates. Thanks
It's only about 12 miles BUT NJ transport rates are high. I do a lot of business in the area. I have never heard of GoAirlink, but it sounds like just an OK deal-not really good. Taxi for no more than 4 people will cost about $40-50 + tip. So for 12, about $180.00-$220, depending on luggage. There are some van cabs at the airport.

You may also want to try www.blackexecutivecars.com They have SUV's, large vans and limos. You may get a better deal and will have a fixed price, unlike a taxi.

Old June 22nd, 2009, 01:16 PM
10,000+ Club

I think a standard cab would be upwards of $60.00 plus tip, plus tolls. We took a car service from an airport hotel to the Port, and it was $50.00 plus tip, and that was from a hotel. It can take up to 10 minutes just to get off the airport grounds - they're huge! That's why I say a cab starting at EWR would cost more.

What about 2 limos? 12 people would have luggage, what maybe 15-20 pieces? I think you would be most comfortable in a limo with a fixed price.
I think the $27.50 RCI is charging is ridiculously expensive; I'm sure you can do better than that.

Have a fun cruise! Explorer, right? She's a beautiful ship.

Up next:
RCI - Explorer of the Seas 2014
RCI - Serenade of the Seas 2015 - a planned family vacation if son is not in medical school this year

Already Cruised - listed not to brag, but so you can ask me a question if you'd like:

Princess - Grand Princess May 2014 Pacific Coastal
RCI - Serenade of the Seas March 2014 - B2B W. Caribbean

RCI - Serenade of the Seas Feb 2014 - Bahamas - a celebration cruise indeed!
*RCI Scandinavia 2013 - 30th Anniversary cruise! - nope - cancelled due to my illness. ~ Maybe next year, God willing.
RCI - Jewel of the Seas Nov 2012 - B2B Mexico
RCI - Jewel of the Seas Repo cruise Oct/Nov 2012 Boston to Tampa - Hurricane Sandy
RCI - Brilliance of the Seas June/July 2011 Mediterranean
RCI - Mariner of the Seas Oct/Nov 2010 Mexico
RCI - Oasis of the Seas May 2010 E. Caribbean - 4 adults in one cabin; we did it!
Princess - Emerald Princess April 2009 E. Caribbean
RCI - Explorer of the Seas Sept/Oct 2008 - 25th anniversary! Canada - Hurricane Kyle
RCI - Liberty of the Seas August 2007 E.Caribbean - Hurricane Dean - 4 adults in one cabin; we did it!
RCI - Explorer of the Seas April 2006 E.Caribbean
RCI - Vision of the Seas Aug 2003 Alaska
HAL - Rotterdam - last leg of her final world cruise ever April 1995 Pacific Northwest
RCI - Viking Serenade Aug 1993 Mexico

Old June 22nd, 2009, 01:57 PM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langley Cruisers View Post
I think a standard cab would be upwards of $60.00 plus tip, plus tolls. We took a car service from an airport hotel to the Port, and it was $50.00 plus tip, and that was from a hotel. It can take up to 10 minutes just to get off the airport grounds - they're huge! That's why I say a cab starting at EWR would cost more.

What about 2 limos? 12 people would have luggage, what maybe 15-20 pieces? I think you would be most comfortable in a limo with a fixed price.
I think the $27.50 RCI is charging is ridiculously expensive; I'm sure you can do better than that.

? ten minutes to get off the airport...not really...

and given what the markup is by the cruiselines....its not ridiculously expensive for them to do all the work so you have no hassle...given that it will cost for a cab about $40 plus tip and a couple of bucks for the tolls....its really not that bad....

but whether its "ridiculously" expensive or not is sort of like was the food good its in the eye or stomach of the beholder.

Last edited by smeyer418; June 22nd, 2009 at 02:01 PM.

Old June 22nd, 2009, 10:21 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeyer418 View Post
? ten minutes to get off the airport...not really...
OK, I guess I imagined it the last time we were there, then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeyer418 View Post
...and given what the markup is by the cruiselines....its not ridiculously expensive for them to do all the work so you have no hassle...given that it will cost for a cab about $40 plus tip and a couple of bucks for the tolls....
We did that trip. I already mentioned its going to be more than $40.00 per cab. Not to mention, 12 people x $27.50 RCI transfer = $330.00, plus tip I imagine (we always tip our shuttle/transfer/cab driver). All I said was I think they can do better than that. It seems excessive. And that's one way! They'll be doing it again on the return trip.

Up next:
RCI - Serenade of the Seas 2015 - a planned family vacation if son is not in medical school this year

Already Cruised - listed not to brag, but so you can ask me a question if you'd like:

*RCI Scandinavia 2013 - 30th Anniversary cruise! - nope - cancelled due to my illness. ~ Maybe next year, God willing.
RCI - Jewel of the Seas Repo cruise Oct/Nov 2012 Boston to Tampa - Hurricane Sandy
RCI - Oasis of the Seas May 2010 E. Caribbean - 4 adults in one cabin; we did it!
RCI - Explorer of the Seas Sept/Oct 2008 - 25th anniversary! Canada - Hurricane Kyle
RCI - Liberty of the Seas August 2007 E.Caribbean - Hurricane Dean - 4 adults in one cabin; we did it!
HAL - Rotterdam - last leg of her final world cruise ever April 1995 Pacific Northwest

Ad Sponsored By
Old June 22nd, 2009, 11:25 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Thanks for the response!

Thanks for the responses - I'm talking to the group and still checking other transfer sources. I think we will either book a private van service or go with RCI - the group wants to stay together till check in. RCI's web site lists 1:00 pm as the earliest time of departure flight on 9/26 from Newark. Our flight was to depart at 1pm, but airline changed it to 12:30 pm, RCI says they "can't book the return transfer" as it falls outside their guidelines, but said we can probably book it on the ship. Seems like it shouldn't take that long to get off the ship and to the airport. Explorer of the Seas, from San Juan lists 11a.m. as the earliest return flight to book - San Juan traffic and congestion at the cruise port is really bad, yet they can get you to the airport for 11a.m. flight, but in New Jersey not till 1:00 pm? The absolute worse part of cruising when you live in the midwest is getting to the ports - closest one here is the ferry service on Lake Michigan!

Old June 23rd, 2009, 07:29 AM
Cool Cruiser

Just an FYI about the port...

We cruised out of Bayonne in Nov. 2007, were not completely satisfied.
It was rather disorganized. The port almost seems too small for the amount of people loaded on and off.

Be patient and know what to expect.

hope thats helpful.

???

7 Cruise & Counting

Old June 23rd, 2009, 01:13 PM
Cool Cruiser

Wisconsin,

There are times when a cruise line's transportation is probably not the best cost wise. And this is one of those situations. However, remember you are dealing with 12 people and luggage. Further, you may be at an airport which is unfamiliar to you and the others.

My point...unless you can find a long established transportation company such as Super Shuttle, you might be better all around using the cruise line's program for greater peace of mind. The cruise line will help you get organized and get yiour party on the bus, and this to me might be well worth the extra money they are charging.

Fred

Old June 23rd, 2009, 02:03 PM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
OK, I guess I imagined it the last time we were there, then.

We did that trip. I already mentioned its going to be more than $40.00 per cab. Not to mention, 12 people x $27.50 RCI transfer = $330.00, plus tip I imagine (we always tip our shuttle/transfer/cab driver). All I said was I think they can do better than that. It seems excessive. And that's one way! They'll be doing it again on the return trip.
The fixed rate from EWR to the cruise terminal for a cab is $40.00 per cab plus tolls and tip. That is what the legal charge amount for a cab is. A car service you call can charge more but the cab rates at the airport to any point are fixed. You don't call the cab in advance they are lined up and dispatched. If you paid more for a cab as opposed to a car service they over charged you. Yes super shuttle may do it for less as will some car sevices with vans but super shuttle in this area doesn't get high reviews....

definitions:

car service a service which provides a car that you call and by prearrangement picks you up.
a taxi cab or cab a service which handles street hails or from a taxi line with no prearrangement or call.

EWR has three main terminals arranged in a horseshoe. From the entrance of the airport to the exit of the horseshoe its less than 2 miles. So that if it took you ten minutes once you got into the car from the terminal to leave the airport the car was going very slowly....it does happen sometimes but normally they accelerate to highway speeds and you are out to the airport fairly quickly...to a highway..

Last edited by smeyer418; June 23rd, 2009 at 02:08 PM.

Old June 23rd, 2009, 02:05 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Transfers in Bayonne, NJ

I have decided to opt for convenience over cost for the transfers and go with RCI - 4 of the group are older and never cruised before and since I am sort of in charge, will let RCI deal with luggage, etc. Besides, I just rebooked the whole group at a reduced Senior special rate and knocked the price down about $100 per person, so am factoring that into the high cost of transfers - the group is so delighted about the price reduction, they aren't complaining about the transfer. Thanks for all your input. I'll let you know what I think about Port Liberty after the cruise.

Old June 23rd, 2009, 07:36 PM
10,000+ Club

^ Sounds wonderful; I'm glad you got it all worked out.

And for the record, in our opinion the Port of Bayonne was fine the days we were there. The lines moved well and it was well-organized. I understand some people have had less than stellar experiences there, but I wanted you to know we have absolutely no complaints with how RCI treated us or handled us at the Port.

Have a great cruise!

Up next:

Old June 30th, 2009, 07:21 AM
Cool Cruiser

Cool Cape Liberty

I understand that the parking has been moved and is a more convenient and safer location.

Old June 30th, 2009, 07:47 AM
5,000+ Club

Just my opinion only - I personally like Bayonne and usually go out of there at least once a year. The only time I thought there was chaos was when we had to turn around to airlift someone and ended up come in 5 hours late. The chaos because people were arriving to get on and the parking lots weren't cleared out yet because the people on board weren't even off the ship yet. Normally I do express walkoff so we are about the first few to get off and when you do express walkoff you are carrying your own luggage so the shuttles at the terminal can only take less than 1/2 of what they could when you got on without your luggage. If you need any info for a car service or shuttle bus you can email me and I can make some calls for you since I live an hour away and if you did express walkoff and they had an 18 person van waiting for you. Feel free to contact me if you need me to find a shuttle for you from the area. I usually take a town car round trip from a service in the area and when I go under the Verrazano I call and they go to the retail strip mall down the street and as soon as I'm off the ship I call again and they come right into the cruise port.

Old July 25th, 2009, 07:37 PM
Cool Cruiser

We will be staying at the Marriott Newark airport the night prior to our cruise. Would there be a price difference taking a taxi from the Marriott Hotel to the Cape Liberty port vs. taking it from the airport?

We are trying to find the cheapest way to get from the Marriott to Cape Liberty?

Thanks
Angela
1994 - Carnival Celebration - Carribean, 1995 - Carnival Fantasy - Carribean, 1997 - Holland America Statendam - Alaska, 1999 - Carnival Sensation - Carribean, 2001 - Carnival Spirit - Panama, 2003 - Carnival Spirit - Carribean, 2006 -Crown Princess - Carribean, 2006 - RCCL -Serenade of the Seas-Hawaii-Vancouver, 2007 -Celebrity Galaxy - Trans Atlantic Puerto Rico - Rome, 2008 - Celebrity Millennium-Aust/New Zealand, 2009 - Celebrity Century - Trans Atlantic Miami - Amsterdam, 2009 - Celebrity Constellation - Carribean, 2010 - Carnival Spirit - Hawaii - Vancouver, 2010 - Celebrity Xpedition - Galapagos, 2011 - Celebrity Summit - Bermuda, 2011 - RCCL-Jewel of the Seas - Caribbean-14 night Boston-Tampa, 2012 - RCCL-Radiance of the Seas-Hawaii-Vancouver, 2012 - RCCL-Jewel of the Seas-London-Boston (Iceland), 2012 - Princess Ruby - Caribbean, 2013 - RCCL-Rhapsody of the Seas-Hawaii-Vancouver, 2014 -Celebrity Infinity - Antarctica, 2014 - Celebrity Summit - Bermuda, 2015 - Celebrity Millennium - Gems of Indonesia

Old August 15th, 2009, 10:38 AM
Cool Cruiser

Are the cabs lined up at the port when we return?

Old August 25th, 2009, 01:57 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thumbs down Also staying Mariott Renaissance the day prior to cruise

Any more advice re transportation --- just found out that even if we go back to the airport on cruise day (as we'd planned), Celebrity won't allow us to book their transfer service.

They say it's against their contract with the shuttle service.

I'm in a bit of a panic here re our Sept. 19th Celebrity Constellation cruise.
SharonK- a newbie cruiser from Minneapolis

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAKE3337 View Post
We will be staying at the Marriott Newark airport the night prior to our cruise. Would there be a price difference taking a taxi from the Marriott Hotel to the Cape Liberty port vs. taking it from the airport?

We are trying to find the cheapest way to get from the Marriott to Cape Liberty?

Thanks
Angela

Old August 25th, 2009, 02:00 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thumbs down Car service to Port Liberty?

How do you find a reliable car service?
SharonK-a newbie cruiser from Minneapolis

Quote:

Old August 25th, 2009, 07:42 AM
10,000+ Club

Sharon - Don't panic - come post your question on the East Coast Departures forum. One of the recommended car services was listed earlier in this thread - http://www.blackexecutivecars.com/. Everyone seems to make it to Cape Liberty - no serious complaints about finding a cab or a car service. Traffic at Cape Liberty can be congested - there is no way to predict it. We prefer to arrive by 11 am and spend our time in the lounge waiting to board.

Carol

Old August 25th, 2009, 01:02 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by skkirts View Post
How do you find a reliable car service?
SharonK-a newbie cruiser from Minneapolis
Try www.blackexecutivecars.com - i have used them and was very happy with the service

Cape Liberty Info blog
Meg's YouTube Videos

Cape Liberty Area Hotel Photos

Click ship names below to go to albums!

My Cruise History:
Explorer of the Seas x12, Freedom x 1, Serenade x2, Summit x3, Jewel x1, Adventure, x1, Grandeur x2, Navigator x1, Enchantment, x4, CCL Pride x2, CCL Miracle x1
218 Total Nights At Sea!
illegitmi non carborundum kmt

Old August 25th, 2009, 01:03 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by skkirts View Post
Any more advice re transportation --- just found out that even if we go back to the airport on cruise day (as we'd planned), Celebrity won't allow us to book their transfer service.

They say it's against their contract with the shuttle service.

I'm in a bit of a panic here re our Sept. 19th Celebrity Constellation cruise.
SharonK- a newbie cruiser from Minneapolis
either take a cab (plenty-no worries) or the car service that i mentioned in the other post.

Cape Liberty Info blog
Meg's YouTube Videos

Cape Liberty Area Hotel Photos

Click ship names below to go to albums!

My Cruise History:
Explorer of the Seas x12, Freedom x 1, Serenade x2, Summit x3, Jewel x1, Adventure, x1, Grandeur x2, Navigator x1, Enchantment, x4, CCL Pride x2, CCL Miracle x1
218 Total Nights At Sea!
illegitmi non carborundum kmt