Disney disembarkation

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Disney Cruise Line
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 10:38 PM.
#1
44 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
Last year we sailed on Disney for the first time. We loved their disembarkation procedure where they schedule you for breakfast at a certain time and then right after breakfast you disembark. After just returning from an Alaska cruise on another line which uses the same old "leave your cabin by 8:00 am and sit somewhere until your color is called" procedure, we were wondering if there is any other cruise line using Disney's procedure and if not why? We've cruised most of the major lines and disembarkation is always a painful experience especially with kids... except for Disney.
#2
phila, pa
51,756 Posts
Joined Jul 2000
Have sailed on Princess, Carnival, Royal and Norweign.
Each we had to vacate the cabin and wait.

We leave the stuff in the cabin and head to breakfast in the dining room- After that we grab our stuff then wait. Its always within the hour that we are allowed to get off.

Most ships are empty by 10:30 at the latest so they can turn it over for the new people.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Next up-- Disney WOrld Dec 5, 2016 Carnival Vista- February 2017 Disney WOrld May 7, 2017 Disney World 8/17

. o ..
o . o o.o
...oo
__[]__
__|_o_o_o\__
""""""""""/
. .. . /
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
#4
Georgia
5,484 Posts
Joined Dec 2006
Originally posted by GottaLuvCruising
We've done Disney three times (and two dozen cruises on other lines). Nobody does disembarkation as well as Disney!
I agree with you 100%.......I sure wish the other lines would take note!!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Dianne

Carnival Glory - 11/03/03
Carnival Destiny - 11/27/05
Carnival Glory - 2/3/07
Mariner of the Seas - 4/25/08
Disney Wonder - 11/2/08
Carnival Glory - 2/7/09
Emerald Princess - 11/8/09
Freedom of the Seas - 5/9/10
Freedom of the Seas - 11/7/10
Disney Dream - 5/22/11
Carnival Dream - 10/22/11
Carnival Fascination - 1/16/12
Carnival Fascination - 4/28/12
Carnival Dream - 10/20/12
Carnival Fascination - 01/28/13
Carnival Fascination - 04/27/13
Allure of the Seas - 11/3/13
Freedom of the Seas - 4/6/14
Freedom of the Seas - 8/31/14
Carnival Liberty - 11/28/14
Brilliance of the Seas - 2/23/15 (cancelled FOG cruise )
Brilliance of the Seas - 4/11/15
Freedom of the Seas - 6/14/15
Enchantment of the Seas - 9/21/15
Freedom of the Seas - 9/27/15
Disney Dream - 4/4/16
Freedom of the Seas - 5/15/16
Freedom of the Seas - 10/2/16
Oasis of the Seas - 1/15/17
Oasis of the Seas - 3/26/17
#5
Pa, NJ
17,270 Posts
Joined Apr 2000
The reason is that Disney only has to deal with a couple of ports for their disembarkation. Most of the other cruise line may have their ships homeported out of several ports during the course of a year. Disney can establish a special relationship with their port since only a couple are involved.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Don
#6
Georgia
5,484 Posts
Joined Dec 2006
Originally posted by dkjretired
The reason is that Disney only has to deal with a couple of ports for their disembarkation. Most of the other cruise line may have their ships homeported out of several ports during the course of a year. Disney can establish a special relationship with their port since only a couple are involved.
I'm not sure what you mean by this, it has nothing to do with their relationship to the port. The ship cleared customs about the same time our other cruises have cleared.

It's simply the way they handle getting people off the ship in a timely manner. You are given a very early breakfast time (I think ours was like 6:15am ), and you go in, have your breakfast which is served by the wonderful waiters you had all week, then grab your carry-ons and walk off the ship.......

As we left the dining room I kept looking for the lines that I was sure we would need to stand in....there were NONE!!! No lines, no cattle call, no waiting for decks to be called, no crowds AT ALL....it was pure heaven!!!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Dianne

Carnival Glory - 11/03/03
Carnival Destiny - 11/27/05
Carnival Glory - 2/3/07
Mariner of the Seas - 4/25/08
Disney Wonder - 11/2/08
Carnival Glory - 2/7/09
Emerald Princess - 11/8/09
Freedom of the Seas - 5/9/10
Freedom of the Seas - 11/7/10
Disney Dream - 5/22/11
Carnival Dream - 10/22/11
Carnival Fascination - 1/16/12
Carnival Fascination - 4/28/12
Carnival Dream - 10/20/12
Carnival Fascination - 01/28/13
Carnival Fascination - 04/27/13
Allure of the Seas - 11/3/13
Freedom of the Seas - 4/6/14
Freedom of the Seas - 8/31/14
Carnival Liberty - 11/28/14
Brilliance of the Seas - 2/23/15 (cancelled FOG cruise )
Brilliance of the Seas - 4/11/15
Freedom of the Seas - 6/14/15
Enchantment of the Seas - 9/21/15
Freedom of the Seas - 9/27/15
Disney Dream - 4/4/16
Freedom of the Seas - 5/15/16
Freedom of the Seas - 10/2/16
Oasis of the Seas - 1/15/17
Oasis of the Seas - 3/26/17
#7
Mainer in Florida
4,706 Posts
Joined May 2000
Originally posted by GTO-Girl
I'm not sure what you mean by this, it has nothing to do with their relationship to the port. The ship cleared customs about the same time our other cruises have cleared.

It's simply the way they handle getting people off the ship in a timely manner. You are given a very early breakfast time (I think ours was like 6:15am ), and you go in, have your breakfast which is served by the wonderful waiters you had all week, then grab your carry-ons and walk off the ship.......

As we left the dining room I kept looking for the lines that I was sure we would need to stand in....there were NONE!!! No lines, no cattle call, no waiting for decks to be called, no crowds AT ALL....it was pure heaven!!!!
He probably hasn't even sailed Disney and clearly doesn't know what he's talking about.
#8
Pa, NJ
17,270 Posts
Joined Apr 2000
Originally posted by GottaLuvCruising
He probably hasn't even sailed Disney and clearly doesn't know what he's talking about.
I do know what I'm talking about and stand behind my original post. If you can't contribute to the conversation then I would suggest you stay out of it. It is always telling when someone can't comment about the subject at hand and attacks someone personally.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Don
#9
New York, NY
21,021 Posts
Joined Aug 2003
Originally posted by serene56
....Norweign.
Each we had to vacate the cabin and wait.

We leave the stuff in the cabin and head to breakfast in the dining room- After that we grab our stuff then wait. Its always within the hour that we are allowed to get off.

Most ships are empty by 10:30 at the latest so they can turn it over for the new people.
when did you last do Nowegian? they have freestyle disembark....wait in cabin until you get off for the last 8 years.....
#10
Ft Myers, FL
1,339 Posts
Joined Apr 2000
Originally posted by GottaLuvCruising
We've done Disney three times (and two dozen cruises on other lines). Nobody does disembarkation as well as Disney!
Actually, I thought DCL's disembarkation was awful, and I did 9 cruises with them. HAL is the one who does it right. You remain wherever you'd like, including inside your cabin, until your window of time opens to leave the ship. Prior to the last day you get to select your time, based on your plans after the ship. Last cruise we chose to wander around the promenade deck, but the time before I sat in my cabin & had a full room service breakfast while waiting for my departure time. The Disney experiences were nightmares with a huge mob in the lobby area (blocking access to the restaurant there) until the doors were open. Then that mob descended on the luggage area...very frustrating. With HAL there's no mob getting off the ship with you, so there are no waits.

Sue/WDW1972
Eurodam 11/07/09
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sue/WDW1972
#11
Arlington, Texas
1,304 Posts
Joined Feb 2009
Originally posted by jmhlaw
Last year we sailed on Disney for the first time. We loved their disembarkation procedure where they schedule you for breakfast at a certain time and then right after breakfast you disembark. After just returning from an Alaska cruise on another line which uses the same old "leave your cabin by 8:00 am and sit somewhere until your color is called" procedure, we were wondering if there is any other cruise line using Disney's procedure and if not why? We've cruised most of the major lines and disembarkation is always a painful experience especially with kids... except for Disney.
Royal Caribbean has a similar procedure to follow. We were able to stay in the room for a long time before we went down to eat and leave the ship. A lot has to do with your flight times and if you are using Disney transportation.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Eclipse Slide Show...http://tripwow.tripadvisor.com/tripw...are=1&cs=&lb=1

Disney: Dream - August 15-18, 2013; Fantasy - March 9-16, 2013; Magic - July 25, 2009, May 27, 2006 & June 9, 2000
Celebrity: Summit - December 19-26, 2015; Solstice - May 6-15, 2013; Eclipse - March 10-17, 2012; Infinity - July 16, 2010; Century - January 16, 2010 & April 12-19, 2014
Royal Caribbean: Serenade of the Seas - December 27, 2014; Oasis of the Seas - June 18, 2011; Monarch of the Seas - March 13, 2009; Adventure of the Seas - July 27, 2008
Carnival: Magic - February 14, 2015; Conquest - December 26,2010

Princess: Golden Princess - April 3, 2015
#12
3,611 Posts
Joined Jun 2005
Originally posted by wdw1972
Actually, I thought DCL's disembarkation was awful, and I did 9 cruises with them. HAL is the one who does it right. You remain wherever you'd like, including inside your cabin, until your window of time opens to leave the ship. Prior to the last day you get to select your time, based on your plans after the ship. Last cruise we chose to wander around the promenade deck, but the time before I sat in my cabin & had a full room service breakfast while waiting for my departure time. The Disney experiences were nightmares with a huge mob in the lobby area (blocking access to the restaurant there) until the doors were open. Then that mob descended on the luggage area...very frustrating. With HAL there's no mob getting off the ship with you, so there are no waits.

Sue/WDW1972
Eurodam 11/07/09
This is what we encountered on our recent cruise on the Magic. I wouldn't describe it as "awful", but it wasn't quite as smooth and painless as others have described.

After eating as instructed in our assigned dining room starting at 6:30 (painful on the last day or any day for us!), we proceeded to the atrium, around 7:10. We stood there and waited and waited. A long line formed, wrapping around toward the promenade lounge (not sure how long the line was because we couldn't see around the corner). There was also another line snaking around toward the elevators...not sure how long that one was either. There were NO announcements, and there was no crew members around trying to organize the lines or direct people. We stood there for 30 minutes, just waiting for the doors to open.

Now don't get me wrong...I know there can be delays with any ship and the debarkation process. And in the whole scheme of things, this wasn't a huge problem for us. But what was frustrating to us was that nobody gave us any indication as to what was going on or how long it would be. And after having read here how nice DCL's debarkation was, we were definitely not expecting what we encountered.

Perhaps if we had been in one of the later breakfast seatings, we would have reached the atrium after the line had dispersed, and would not have encountered what we did. But with us following the instructions, it definitely was not a smooth experience for us.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Brilliance of the Seas (RCI) - 03/16
Freedom of the Seas (RCI) - 03/15
Allure of the Seas (RCI) - 06/13
Freedom of the Seas (RCI) - 06/11
Disney Magic - 06/09
Pride of Hawaii (NCLA) - 06/07
Mariner of the Seas (RCI) - 06/06
Carnival Destiny - 05/05
Carnival Glory - 05/04
Inspiration (CCL) - 05/03
#13
Chalmette Louisiana
43 Posts
Joined Jan 2001
2 disney cruises and no problems at all......

Ate breakfast and walk right off the ship....... No lines no waiting no problems..... Last cruise june 2009.....
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
BRET
TTFN
#14
3,611 Posts
Joined Jun 2005
Originally posted by sgtbjb603
2 disney cruises and no problems at all......

Ate breakfast and walk right off the ship....... No lines no waiting no problems..... Last cruise june 2009.....
Do you remember what time your breakfast seating was?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Brilliance of the Seas (RCI) - 03/16
Freedom of the Seas (RCI) - 03/15
Allure of the Seas (RCI) - 06/13
Freedom of the Seas (RCI) - 06/11
Disney Magic - 06/09
Pride of Hawaii (NCLA) - 06/07
Mariner of the Seas (RCI) - 06/06
Carnival Destiny - 05/05
Carnival Glory - 05/04
Inspiration (CCL) - 05/03
#15
Saint Cloud, FL
1,015 Posts
Joined Dec 2008
Originally posted by sgtbjb603
2 disney cruises and no problems at all......

Ate breakfast and walk right off the ship....... No lines no waiting no problems..... Last cruise june 2009.....
^^^^^DITTO^^^^^

Most recently in Feb 09. I don't recall what our "assigned" breakfast time was, but it didn't matter to us; we ate at Topside when we were good and ready - about 7am. After that, we collected our carry-ons (carry-offs?) from the suite, headed down to deck 3 and walked off the ship. No fuss, no muss, no bother.

It's been that way for us on all 3 DCL cruises we've been on.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
DCL "Magic" - Feb '05 - 7 night Eastern;
DCL "Wonder" - Jan '07 - 3 night Nassau;
DCL "Magic" - Feb '09 - 7 night Western;
DCL "Wonder" - Oct '09 - 3 night Nassau;
DCL "Dream" - May '11 - 4 night Nassau;
DCL "Dream" - Sept '11 - DVC Member Cruise - 4 night - 2 stops @ CC;
DCL "Fantasy" - February '13 - 7 night Eastern;
DCL "Dream" - Aug '15 - DVC Member Cruise - 4 nights - 2 stops @ CC;
DCL "Magic" - May '16 - 14 night Eastbound Transatlantic
DCL "Dream" - Dec '16 - 3 night Nassau
NCL "Pearl" - Mar '17 - 10 night Panama Canal
#16
3,611 Posts
Joined Jun 2005
Originally posted by PopFla
^^^^^DITTO^^^^^

Most recently in Feb 09. I don't recall what our "assigned" breakfast time was, but it didn't matter to us; we ate at Topside when we were good and ready - about 7am. After that, we collected our carry-ons (carry-offs?) from the suite, headed down to deck 3 and walked off the ship. No fuss, no muss, no bother.

It's been that way for us on all 3 DCL cruises we've been on.
I think what you said about going to Topsider at 7 was the key. If we had started eating at 7, we probably would have avoided the long line as well.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Brilliance of the Seas (RCI) - 03/16
Freedom of the Seas (RCI) - 03/15
Allure of the Seas (RCI) - 06/13
Freedom of the Seas (RCI) - 06/11
Disney Magic - 06/09
Pride of Hawaii (NCLA) - 06/07
Mariner of the Seas (RCI) - 06/06
Carnival Destiny - 05/05
Carnival Glory - 05/04
Inspiration (CCL) - 05/03
#17
Chalmette Louisiana
43 Posts
Joined Jan 2001
Originally posted by time4u2go
Do you remember what time your breakfast seating was?
7 am at Triton's...........
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
BRET
TTFN
#18
3,611 Posts
Joined Jun 2005
Originally posted by sgtbjb603
7 am at Triton's...........
Maybe that was the trick...eating at 7 (or later).
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Brilliance of the Seas (RCI) - 03/16
Freedom of the Seas (RCI) - 03/15
Allure of the Seas (RCI) - 06/13
Freedom of the Seas (RCI) - 06/11
Disney Magic - 06/09
Pride of Hawaii (NCLA) - 06/07
Mariner of the Seas (RCI) - 06/06
Carnival Destiny - 05/05
Carnival Glory - 05/04
Inspiration (CCL) - 05/03