Tragic end to the holiday, warning, contains info of sensitive nature!

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 10:16 PM.
London
190 Posts
Joined Oct 2008
OV1

Hi all, just to say that unfortunately in Palma on Tuesday, round about lunchtime, one of the crew fell to his death in the sea.

We heard the call Man Overboard, Muster, but as it was called out in a low key tone we thought nothing more of it. But then some of us went up to top deck and leaned over the balcony and watched as the tender came in with what looked like a model in the back. We thought it was a practice but a passenger stated (having been told by someone) that it was indeed for real, that a workman had fallen from the ship and wasn't breathing. We saw the medics on board the tender, taking photos and feeling his limbs, then were all moved away from the railing.

My condolences to him and his family and to say sorry for not believing, in the beginning.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

10 Posts
Joined Jun 2009
Oh wow, how sad. We left Palma on Tuesday morning so knew nothing about this. I wonder if it was one of the 'behind the scenes' people, or someone we could have spoken to during the holiday. Either way, it's awful.
Scotland, UK
1,574 Posts
Joined Feb 2005
That's awful, and Jay you probably only thought what most others thought - that it was a drill.

There are often threads on these boards about people falling/jumping/being pushed etc overboard and too much partying etc is usually said to blame. Yet we forget that what occured, no doubt a tragic work accident, on the OV is possibly just as likely to happen, yet less reported.

Condolenses to the persons family and his new friends and colleagues on the OV, who will all have been affected by this.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Ocean Village 1 b2b, West Caribbean Inauggeral Cruise - Nov 2007 (Missed Ocho Rios & Grand Cayman )
Ocean Village 1 b2b East Caribbean - Nov 2005 (with kids)
Thomsons Emerald b2b Caribbean - Oct 1999
Thomsons Island Breeze (innaugeral sailing) b2b Med. - July 1997
North Kent UK
1,616 Posts
Joined Feb 2009
How very sad :-( and a shock for those that did think it was a drill .. (I would hazard a guess -that it may have been one of the guys in orange/red overalls- who work on the exterior of the ship doing all sorts of maintenance when in Port)
What a tradgedy and condolensces to his family and friends xx :-(
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Far far too many static destinations to mention --- Had many cruises and a lot on Ocean Village and have loved everyone. R.I.P to a great Brand

On Ventura AGAIN in Sept .....
London
190 Posts
Joined Oct 2008
Originally posted by GixxerGal
How very sad :-( and a shock for those that did think it was a drill .. (I would hazard a guess -that it may have been one of the guys in orange/red overalls- who work on the exterior of the ship doing all sorts of maintenance when in Port)
What a tradgedy and condolensces to his family and friends xx :-(
As far as we know, it was someone working on the outside. I reckon as the news was not made public that many passengers knew nothing about it. So very sad.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

North Kent UK
1,616 Posts
Joined Feb 2009
I did a search on the Net for this and their is nothing to show -- :-( Very sad for all xxx
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Far far too many static destinations to mention --- Had many cruises and a lot on Ocean Village and have loved everyone. R.I.P to a great Brand

On Ventura AGAIN in Sept .....
London
190 Posts
Joined Oct 2008
Originally posted by GixxerGal
I did a search on the Net for this and their is nothing to show -- :-( Very sad for all xxx
I doubt very much that there will be anything in the news. Admittedly I've done a quick Google.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Royal Berkshire, England
94 Posts
Joined Aug 2008
Try the Mallorca Daily Bulletin . Apparently he was a 42 year old Indian crew member .

This is so very sad both for his family and for the rest of the crew . I have nothing but praise for the crew of OV - so friendly and professional at all times .
Scotland, UK
1,574 Posts
Joined Feb 2005
I tried searching too.
At 42 you may surmise he had a wife and kids back home, so it makes it even more of a tragedy.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Ocean Village 1 b2b, West Caribbean Inauggeral Cruise - Nov 2007 (Missed Ocho Rios & Grand Cayman )
Ocean Village 1 b2b East Caribbean - Nov 2005 (with kids)
Thomsons Emerald b2b Caribbean - Oct 1999
Thomsons Island Breeze (innaugeral sailing) b2b Med. - July 1997