Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Discussion Topics > Ask a Cruise Question

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Ask a Cruise Question Post your general cruise questions here.

View Poll Results: Would you fly to a weeklong cruise if you had to carry all of your bags to the gate?
Sure -- for a cheap flight, I'll do anything. 39 17.57%
Yes, I prefer to pack light anyway. 70 31.53%
Why not? I have a spouse/partner to carry my bags! 7 3.15%
I might, particularly on an airline that notoriously loses bags. 16 7.21%
No way. Getting through the airport is enough of a hassle. 86 38.74%
Something else, which I'll post. 4 1.80%
Voters: 222. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 1st, 2009, 01:48 PM
Product Development

Default Could you fly to a cruise without checking bags?

Irish low-cost airline Ryanair, which partnered with Costa earlier this year to promote and sell cruises as well as flights to ports of debarkation, is considering banning checked baggage. Our initial thought: How on earth do you pack for a weeklong cruise with just a carry-on?

Thankfully, we cleared up the ins and outs of the proposed program with a spokesman for the airline. Turns out, the abolition of checked bags doesn't mean you'd have to travel with only your carry-on. The program will actually allow passengers to bring as much luggage as they wish. Whatever they cannot carry into the cabin of the aircraft (there's still a limit of one carry-on item) will be taken at the gate by baggage handlers. (Click here for the full story in Cruise Critic News.)

Sure, the system could cut down on lost luggage. However, as a cruise passenger, I'd still consider it an inconvenience to have to haul all of my bags to the gate. Would you travel by air to a weeklong cruise if you had to carry all of your bags through the airport? Vote in our poll and post your opinion below!

Last edited by melissa@cruisecritic; July 1st, 2009 at 02:36 PM.

Ad Sponsored By
Old July 1st, 2009, 01:55 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I never take more luggage than I can manage myself. This would not be a problem for me at all.

Old July 1st, 2009, 01:59 PM
40,000+ Club

We have friends that we met on a trip. They went on a 12 day cruise with us from Papeete to Honolulu. They each had one of the rolling carryons and nothing else.

Old July 1st, 2009, 02:04 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa@cruisecritic View Post
However, as a cruise passenger, I'd still consider it an inconvenience to have to haul all of my bags to the gate. Could you travel by air to a weeklong cruise if you had to carry all of your bags through the airport? Vote in our poll and post your opinion below!
I think my reaction will depend on what happens to the price of the ticket: When comparing air lines, I factor in all relevant amenities (or nuisances, for that matter) that come with the ticket price. If me hauling luggage to the gate results in RyanAir reducing their prices, they just got an additional competitive advantage. If, on the other hand, RyanAir would leave ticket prices at the same level and just make me put in more work myself, they might've just lost a competitive advantage which would motivate me to choose a different airline.

What I'm saying is: Selling tickets at seemingly low prices and then punishing the customer by making them shlep suitcases, pay for seat reservations, baggage, drinks, meals, use of bathroom etc etc etc - just isn't a low cost airline anymore. It'd only be sort of a "DIY-airline", and I wouldn't fly that way.

Old July 1st, 2009, 02:16 PM
Cool Cruiser

Absolutely! I only own one suitcase so whatever I bring has to fit in that! It's a 21" roller which on most airlines is technically allowed as a carry-on, though I've checked it a few times. So far I've never had a problem fitting what I've needed. I tend to bring the same amount of things regardless of whether it's a long weekend getaway or, more recently, an 11-day European trip. I am looking forward to the challenge of fitting everything I need for 13 days in Alaska into that suitcase

Instead of paying $15+ to check a suitcase each way, I use that $30 for laundry/pressing services if needed. It's great not to have to get to the airport early to check a bag, wait for luggage on the carousel after a long flight, or worry about whether my bag will make the connection. Since it's small and light (and rolls), it's easy to use buses/trains to get from place to place if you are touring more than one area. I love that liberating feeling and that alone is worth it to me, even if there is no cost advantage to packing light!

I can't imagine bringing more than one suitcase, even
Norwegian Spirit 12/14/08: New Orleans to Costa Maya, Belize, Santo Tomas de Castilla, and Cozumel

Old July 1st, 2009, 02:17 PM
Cool Cruiser

Nobody who knows anything about Ryanair would ever fly with them. They are the pits and so is their obnoxious owner.

Old July 1st, 2009, 02:19 PM
Cool Cruiser

We have done our last 3 cruises with just carry-ons. All it took to change our minds was British Airways losing our luggage for a cruise out of Barcelona.............
Celebrity-Millennium,Caribbean 2003
Princess-Grand, Caribbean 2004 (Awful cruise!!)
RCCL-Rhapsody 12/04/05
Celebrity-Millennium, Mediterranean 2006
Celebrity-Constellation, British isles 4/07
Rccl-Voyager-Canary Islands 11/07
HAL- Westerdam- Alaska 6/09
HAL- Eurodam- Caribbean 3/11
RCL- Navigator- Caribbean- 11/13

Old July 1st, 2009, 03:00 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

No problem for me, I would pack my rolling carry-on size suitcase + another small bag or big purse and would be ready.

HAL Maasdam, June 14, 2014 with a sweet lady roomate
NCL Pearl, November 5, 2013 solo
NCL Gem, November 25, 2012 with my parents and Bridge Group
HAL Maasdam, May 14, 2011 with a Sweet Lady Roomate
NCL Jewel, November 14, 2010 with my Bridge Group
NCL Gem, January 13, 2010, with a roomate
NCL Jewel, October 30, 2009, with DBF
Cunard QM2, B2B Crossing, AUG. 7, 2008, Solo
NCL Spirit, February 10, 2007, with my sister-in-law
NCL Spirit, September 24, 2006, solo
NCL Dawn, December 2003, with a friend

Last edited by jp2001; July 1st, 2009 at 03:03 PM.

Old July 1st, 2009, 03:15 PM
Cool Cruiser

I try to pack light, though I find it harder if I plan to dress up on formal nights. Regardless of dress code, DH and I can always handle our own luggage. Evidently may others cruisers can also. Self-debarkation has become very popular on several cruiselines.

Old July 1st, 2009, 03:18 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I always need to check bags unless it's a local 4-day type thing. I'm a diver so I take one bag for dive gear. It's a carry on but then my other clothes and such become the check in bag.

In Memory of September 11th
Always Remember, Never Forget.......

Carnival Sensation-Caribbean---March 2002
Caribbean Princess-Caribbean--January 2005
Pride of America-Hawaii------------October 2005
Carnival Paradise-Mexico Baja--March 2006
Carnival Valor--Caribbean----------December 2006
Coral Princess-Panama Canal----April 2007
Carnival Miracle-Caribbean--------November 2007
Tahitian Princess-Tahiti--------------October 2008
Ruby Princess----Caribbean---------November 2009
Grand Princess- Caribbean---------January 2011
Caribbean Princess-Caribbean----February 2012
Ocean Princess-Tahiti Islands-February 2014

The Scuba Diving in Tahiti was fantastic

Old July 1st, 2009, 03:26 PM
50,000+ Club

I can't pack for a weekend with just one bag! So, No!!!

Old July 1st, 2009, 05:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

We could easily pack for a week cruise using two carry on size bags. Took one 25 inch non expanded to HI for a week vacation last week for the two of us and that included mask snorkel and water shoes. United charges for each bag.

People over pack. We will be taking a week cruise in December and will use a 22 inch non expanded each for me and my wife.

Old July 1st, 2009, 05:30 PM
Cool Cruiser

How to pack for a week with just 2 carry-on pieces?

Well...let's just say, it COULD be done...if the DH wears his birthday suit. Your choice. LOL

I cannot control the thoughts, feelings, or actions of others. I can only control my response. SOMETIMES.

STEAL A DECK CHAIR TODAY! Join the Anti-Reserve-a-Chair Movement and sit where you like, when you like. Find a towel that looks like yours (hey, they all look the same), find a book you want to read, then sit until you are done. Chances are, you will never even see the original owner. Leave used towel.

Old July 1st, 2009, 05:33 PM
Cool Cruiser

Yes, I can and I do. All I take is a 22" rollaboard and a tote bag.

Old July 1st, 2009, 06:30 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default No problem

On our first cruise a few years ago, my wife and I traveled only with carry-ons and we didn't even have roller bags at the size limit. We managed just fine, though our traveling companions saw us in the same clothing a lot of the time. We also took advantage of the laundry machines during the cruise on the NCL Dawn.

Our next trip was in a nice suite on the Queen Mary 2, for which we went completely the opposite directions, with two large checked bags each for the transatlantic crossing. The experience was no more or less convenient than when we just did carry-ons. We were even able to do a self-disembark in NYC with no problem. Of course, we had tuxedos and dresses with us on Cunard, which we didn't need on NCL.

Charles

Old July 1st, 2009, 06:36 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireeWannabee View Post
I never take more luggage than I can manage myself. This would not be a problem for me at all.
Ditto that!!

Old July 1st, 2009, 06:39 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywench View Post
Yes, I can and I do. All I take is a 22" rollaboard and a tote bag.
Yes and all the tote bag has in it is laptop and camera.

We have been for 3 weeks with just this.

We use to wash out a few things by hand but now we send out wash twice a week. I love that free wash that comes with Platinum!!
1990 Greek Islands Epirotiki Oceanos. 1991 Mediterranean Epirotiki Jason. July 1997 11 day Alaska RCCL Rhapsody of the Sea. 1998 11 day Panama Canal RCCL Vision of the Sea. Jan 2000 Western Carib Premier Seabreeze. March 2000 W Carib Premier Seabreeze. 2001 W Carib NCL Norway. 2001 S Carib Celebrity Horizon. ∙ 2002 12 day S Carib Royal Olympia Explorer. Jan 2003 Grand 'Ole Opry Carnival Pride. 2003 Panama Canal & S Carib HAL Maasdam. Jan 2004 Grand 'Ole Opry Carnival Conquest. 2005 Mexican Riviera RCCL 11 day Empress of the Sea. 2005 S Carib Celebrity Mercury. Dec 2005 W Carib Carnival Valor. May 2006 10 day Exotic Western Carnival Miracle. 2006 W Carib NCL SUN. Jan 2007 S Carib Carnival Destiny. Feb 2007 S Carib Carnival Destiny. Sept 2007 Bahamas Carnival Celebration. Oct 2007 S Carib Carnival Destiny. Feb 2008 E Carib Carnival Imagination. Nov. 2008 B2B Bahamas Carnival Fascination. Jan - Mar 2009 Carnival Splendor 49 days Around the Horn.∙ Sept. 23 - Nov. 22 2009 Star Princess 60 days LA.Sydney.Long Beach.Feb. 20, 2010 Costa Atlantica W Caribbean. Oct 20, 2010 B2B2B Carnival Fantasy Bahamas. Dec 6, 2010 Grand Princess 15 day Carib. Oct 7, 2011 21 days B2B Carnival Magic Mediterranean. Oct 29, 2011 16 day RCCL Liberty of the Seas transAtlantic. Feb 3, 2013 B2B2B 48 days Carnival Splendor around South America .∙ Aug 20, 2013 B2B2B2B2B 62 days Carnival Legend ∙ Europe and TA . ∙ Feb 16, 2014 Carnival Freedom 28 days B2B2B2B.
Future Cruises:
Carnival Valor Oct 19, 2014.
Carnival Splendor B2B Nov 1 and Nov 9, 2014.
Ocean Princess March 14, 2015 - June 4, 2015 82 days.
HAL Volendam. March 1, 2016. 17 days.
Hal Volendam March 17. 49 days.

Libby and Jack from South Carolina

Old July 1st, 2009, 06:53 PM
Cool Cruiser

Are you kidding?????? You couldn't get through security with your bags with normal liquids and razor blades, etc. It does have possibilities.....no shaving for the week!!! Ryanair would probably sell all the necessities on the plane.

Old July 1st, 2009, 07:46 PM
Cool Cruiser

My suitcase is a 22" roll on board that weighs in around 40 pounds....no matter where I'm traveling or how long I'll be gone.

I can carry aboard or check it. One thing is certain, I will never, ever pay to have a bag checked on an airline.......

Old July 1st, 2009, 11:49 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Thumbs down

as long as Costa has tied itself to Ryanair, as bad as it is and has been, I would not even consider flying anywhere for just a 7day cruise on Costa. We are handicapped and travel with wheelchair and scooter to begin with, and to add to that the restrictions of Ryan is not something we would subject ourselves to. There are too many better alternatives. I believe that prior to the 3year pact between Costa and Ryanair being finished, Costa will come to rue the day it entered such an agreement