Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Europe > Mediterranean - Eastern & Western > Spain Ports

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Spain Ports Barcelona, Ibiza, Mallorca, Seville

Old July 10th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Default Palau de la Musica in Barcelona

We're staying in a hotel at the top of La Ramblas near Placa Catalunya. We'd like to visit Palau de la Musica de Catalan but we're not 100% sure how best to get there. Walking from the hotel would be our preference. I searched on-line for directions (I think it's in the Barri Gothic) but had little success. Can anyone help with directions from Placa Catalunya?

Old July 10th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

From the southeast corner of Placa Catalunya:

two blocks on Carrer de Fontanella
turn right on Via Laietana; continue three blocks
turn left on some tiny street; the concert hall is two short blocks. It is well signposted, so once on Via Laietana, you will NOT miss it?

Interesting building, but not great acoustics

Old July 10th, 2009, 08:00 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Default Great Directions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab0si View Post
From the southeast corner of Placa Catalunya:
two blocks on Carrer de Fontanella
turn right on Via Laietana; continue three blocks
turn left on some tiny street; the concert hall is two short blocks.
It is well signposted, so once on Via Laietana, you will NOT miss it.
Thank you for these user-friendly directions. Printed & ready to go. Without them, betcha we could miss it first go-around!

Old July 11th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Cool Cruiser

We also plan to take a guided tour of the Palau de la Misica. At there website they suggest buying tickets in advance which are sold one week before the visit. Anyone know if you can get tickets when you get there rather than purchasing in advance?

Old July 11th, 2009, 06:07 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Yes, you can buy them when you show up. I assume they can be sold out, though.. hence the suggestion to buy in advance. I have a rule to never travel anywhere during the local high season, so I can't give you any advice on how likely they are to sell out in advance.

Ad Sponsored By
Old July 12th, 2009, 02:12 PM
Cool Cruiser

I purchased them 1 week before on-line - we were the first tour at 9 a.m. - we were pretty full!!

I was in Rome and used the hotel's internet to purchase and prin off my receipt.....

It's a beautiful building, very interesting architecture and features...
Celebrity Millenium 10/15 NE Asia, Tokyo-Hong Kong

. 67 countries visited:

HAL Eurodam , Viking passage, Copenhagen-NYC , Aug 2014
Carnival Dream, East. Caribbean Feb 2014
Carnival Miracle Panama Canal, NYC to LA March 2013
HAL Zaandam Hawaii, Jan 2013
HAL Nieuw Amsterdam East. Caribbean Dec 2012
Celebrity Silhouette, Croatia & Adriatic, Venice to Rome Oct 2012
HAL Volendam Australia, NZ March 2012
Carnival Freedom Western Caribbean Feb 2012
Viking Europe Amsterdam-Budapest&Prague Nov 2011
Celebrity Constellation-Norwegian Fjords July 2011

HAL Maasdam-Canada/New England May 2011
AMA Marguerite- Vietnam/Cambodia/MekongDelta Feb 2011
HAL Noordam - East/West Med Collector Voyage Sept 2010
Viking Lomonosov- Istanbul & Ukraine - July 2010
HAL Veendam - South America - Feb 2010
Crown Princess - British Isles - Aug. 2009
Globus/Avalon Egypt-Nile River- Feb 2009
HAL Rotterdam- Lisbon to Ft.Laud. TA- Nov 2008
Azamara Quest - Western Med-Rome -Sept 2008
HAL Westerdam-Eastern Caribbean- March 2008
Hong Kong/China-Yangtze River - Oct 2007
Oceania Regatta-Baltics - June 2007
HAL Westerdam Eastern Caribbean -Feb 2006
HAL Veendam-Alaska/Glacier Bay - August 2005
Carnival Imagination West. Caribbean-March'97
Carnival Mardi Gras-Bahamas -March'92

Old July 14th, 2009, 03:29 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Buying tickets

I would suggest you buy them on line before you visit. We visited Barcelona last year for a week-end break and turned up to purchase tickets whilst we were there but all the tours were fully booked. I think leaving them until you visit might be a bit risky and you could well be disappointed.

Past cruises: P&O Oceana June 2005, May 2007 & Feb 2011, P&O Arcadia May 2006, P&O Aurora May 2008, Princess Cruises Emerald Princess March 2009, P&O Oriana August 2009, Cunard Queen Victoria April 2010 & September 2011, P&O Azura June 2010 & June 2012, Princess Cruises Crown Princess September 2010 & March 2012, Celebrity Eclipse June 2011, Cunard QM2 August 2012, Ruby Princess Nov 2012, Ventura February 2013, Royal Princess June 2013, Celebrity Constellation Sept 2013

Old August 6th, 2009, 03:59 PM
Cool Cruiser

Not trying to highjack, but would like to see a performance. Has anyone gone to an evening performance and ordered tickets by credit card in advance. Did you have any problems? Thanks!

Old August 6th, 2009, 04:15 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalgirl View Post
Not trying to highjack, but would like to see a performance. Has anyone gone to an evening performance and ordered tickets by credit card in advance. Did you have any problems? Thanks!
Technically, we went to an afternoon performance

But we ordered tickets about three weeks in advance by credit card and picked them up at the self-serve machine at the Palau when we arrived. It was very easy!! I loved our time at the Palau and thought the performance was more fun than a tour would've been.

Make sure you arrive early enough to spend some time to walk through the hall and check out all the decorations ahead of time. There is LOTS to see.

Also, if you can, I advise booking a seat on the first balcony level "Primer Pis" for better views than on the main level.
Norwegian Spirit 12/14/08: New Orleans to Costa Maya, Belize, Santo Tomas de Castilla, and Cozumel

Old August 6th, 2009, 06:01 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Default Last-Minute Concerts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bqkali View Post
But we ordered tickets about three weeks in advance by credit card and picked them up at the self-serve machine at the Palau when we arrived. It was very easy!! I loved our time at the Palau and thought the performance was more fun than a tour would've been.
We'd also love to see a concert at the Palau but there's nothing scheduled during our time in Barcelona. But I wonder if the concert line-up on the website is current. I've read about folks buying last-minute tickets at the box office for same-day performances. So we also plan to ask about what's on before our tour.

Old August 7th, 2009, 10:00 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks so much for the info and advise for seating. I think we will order them before hand through the website - more to anticipate

Old August 7th, 2009, 10:36 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Technically, we went to an afternoon performance

Make sure you arrive early enough to spend some time to walk through the hall and check out all the decorations ahead of time. There is LOTS to see.

Also, if you can, I advise booking a seat on the first balcony level "Primer Pis" for better views than on the main level.
I noticed that the evening we disembark in Barcelona, they have an evening concert that we would be interested in. Do you have a sense of what the dress code might be for concerts there?

Old August 7th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jff50 View Post
I noticed that the evening we disembark in Barcelona, they have an evening concert that we would be interested in. Do you have a sense of what the dress code might be for concerts there?
We did not see anyone wearing jeans & t-shirts at our afternoon concert and did not feel out of a place with a sweater and nice black pants.

I would imagine the evening concert might be slightly more formal, but certainly a jacket or cocktail dress would probably be overdressed. I would recommend nice pants with a dress shirt given the ambiance. I don't think a tie would be necessary but officially I do not know.
Norwegian Spirit 12/14/08: New Orleans to Costa Maya, Belize, Santo Tomas de Castilla, and Cozumel

Old August 9th, 2009, 08:47 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
We did not see anyone wearing jeans & t-shirts at our afternoon concert and did not feel out of a place with a sweater and nice black pants.

I would imagine the evening concert might be slightly more formal, but certainly a jacket or cocktail dress would probably be overdressed. I would recommend nice pants with a dress shirt given the ambiance. I don't think a tie would be necessary but officially I do not know.
Thanks

Old August 9th, 2009, 05:49 PM
Cool Cruiser

We bought our tickets today. We were fortunate that my husband works with someone originally from Spain who was familiar with the performer and gave us advise. Thanks also for the advise about sitting up in the higher seats - the really cool thing about this theater is that they show you where the seat is located and give you an actual "view" from the seat so you know beforehand what and how much you will see. We actually saved money by getting seats higher, but more center - which we prefer. Can't wait to go, this cruise keeps getting better and better