Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Europe > Mediterranean - Eastern & Western > Greece Ports

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Greece Ports Athens, Corfu, Crete, Katakolon, Limassol, Mykonos, Rhodes, Santorini, Volos

Old July 16th, 2009, 02:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

Question Princess Delos Tour on a Monday - Mykonos Port

Hello,
My hubby and I are interested in seeing Delos but our ship docks in Mykonos on a Monday. The official Delos site states that the site is closed on Mondays. Has anyone ever taken this tour with Princess on a Monday? Do you think Princess has a special charter that allows them to access the site when it is closed? We have already called Princess and the rep said if the excursion is available, then it must be legitimate. Any experiences seeing Delos on a Monday? Thanks!

(Maui)Hawaii - 10/2004
Paris, London, (Brussels)Belgium - 3/2007
Amsterdam - 4/2009
Antigua, Anguilla, Bahamas, Barbados, St. Lucia, St. John, St. Croix, St.Kitts/Nevis, Tortola
Venice - 10/2009
Past Cruises:

Celebrity Century - 6/2004 - Western Caribbean
Celebrity Summit - 7/2005 - Alaska
Voyager of the Seas - 10/2006 - Western Mediterranean
Adventure of the Seas - 7/2008 - Southern Caribbean
Grand Princess - 10/2009 - Egypt & Aegean
Caribbean Princess - 9/2010 - New England & Canada
Allure of the seas - 1/2011 -Eastern Caribbean
Freedom of the Seas - 5/2011 - Western Caribbean
Disney Dream - 1/2013 ... let's see if the Mouse will impress us

Ad Sponsored By
Old July 16th, 2009, 02:59 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniuh View Post
Hello,
My hubby and I are interested in seeing Delos but our ship docks in Mykonos on a Monday. The official Delos site states that the site is closed on Mondays. Has anyone ever taken this tour with Princess on a Monday? Do you think Princess has a special charter that allows them to access the site when it is closed? We have already called Princess and the rep said if the excursion is available, then it must be legitimate. Any experiences seeing Delos on a Monday? Thanks!
Delos is close for all at Monday.. I don't believe they open the site for any cruise company..

Old July 16th, 2009, 03:01 PM
5,000+ Club

My understanding is just the opposite of that of Fafos, that indeed cruise ships have special arrangements for visiting on Mondays. Of course, that means that one has to pay for the ship's tour there.

Old July 16th, 2009, 03:07 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CintiPam View Post
My understanding is just the opposite of that of Fafos, that indeed cruise ships have special arrangements for visiting on Mondays. Of course, that means that one has to pay for the ship's tour there.
Noooooo!!! we talking about Greek civil servants!!! they don't loose their day off...

Old July 16th, 2009, 05:08 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Delos on a Monday

One person in the Main Princess thread said they took the tour with Princess two years ago on a Monday. I guess Princess does have special priviledges. If anyone finds out otherwise, please let me know. Thanks!

(Maui)Hawaii - 10/2004
Amsterdam - 4/2009
Antigua, Anguilla, Bahamas, Barbados, St. Lucia, St. John, St. Croix, St.Kitts/Nevis, Tortola
Venice - 10/2009
Past Cruises:

Last edited by deniuh; July 16th, 2009 at 05:10 PM.

Old July 17th, 2009, 04:05 AM
Cool Cruiser

I just contact with Delos Archaeological office about this...

They tell me these..

if the GREEK tourist agency who make the tours for cruise ship has a good number of tourists who want visit the site they can open ONLY for these groups.. This agency must apply at least 10-15 days before the cruise and the archaeological office will check this apply...

Princess has the advanced with Personilizer where can see how many cruisers interest about this tour...

Archaeological office don't allow open the site if the number of cruisers is small (they don't know the limits)

This is for Delos site.. for other archaeological sites-museums you must contact...

Old July 17th, 2009, 07:55 AM
Cool Cruiser

We were there with Celebrity after 3pm...when the site was closed to the general public. The only problem was that although we got a tour of the site, the museum was closed.I would have liked to visit the museum because many of artifacts were removed and put there.
Karen

Old July 17th, 2009, 05:14 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenk2 View Post
We were there with Celebrity after 3pm...when the site was closed to the general public. The only problem was that although we got a tour of the site, the museum was closed.I would have liked to visit the museum because many of artifacts were removed and put there.
Karen
Karen, if it's any consolation, we were there last month and the section of the Museum of most interest to me, the oldest section, about 1/3 of the Museum, totally was sealed off from visitors.

Old July 17th, 2009, 05:16 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fafos View Post

They tell me these..

if the GREEK tourist agency who make the tours for cruise ship has a good number of tourists who want visit the site they can open ONLY for these groups.. This agency must apply at least 10-15 days before the cruise and the archaeological office will check this apply...

Princess has the advanced with Personilizer where can see how many cruisers interest about this tour...

Archaeological office don't allow open the site if the number of cruisers is small (they don't know the limits)

This is for Delos site.. for other archaeological sites-museums you must contact...
Fafos, thanks for checking this out; you certainly go "above and beyond" to help us Greek tourists. I really appreciate your confirming my understanding of the special Delos arrangements.

Old July 17th, 2009, 06:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CintiPam View Post
Fafos, thanks for checking this out; you certainly go "above and beyond" to help us Greek tourists. I really appreciate your confirming my understanding of the special Delos arrangements.

was nothing.. just a phone call...

the special Delos arrangements exist because the boats who go to Delos... The boats owners have complained to the Greek culture ministry for cruise passengers who could not visit the area and of course they lose money .. I hope it happens once something similar for the other museums and archaeological sites (eg new Acropolis Museum)

Old July 18th, 2009, 12:52 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fafos View Post

They tell me these..

Thank you so much for making that phone call. Appreciate it!!

(Maui)Hawaii - 10/2004
Amsterdam - 4/2009
Venice - 10/2009
Past Cruises:

Old July 30th, 2009, 12:22 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thank you all for this thread, we will also be there on a Monday. I guess we should plan on doing something else.